Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
I got $50 that says Justin Bell wins his second TransAm race!!!
If you're going to his school you'll meet one of the nicest guys you'll ever find in racing.
The amazing thing is he works out on the track along with all his instructors. I was very impressed.
Bob

·
Registered
631 Posts
You guys have to see the last 10 laps of this race with the dramatic finish.

Very exciting action amongst the top 5 cars and all of the excitement was around the 2 Corvettes.

·
Registered
631 Posts
HOUSTON (October 6, 2001) – Justin Bell (#40 Justin Bell GT Motorsports Experience Chevy Corvette), the AmeriSuites Rookie of the Year, won his second straight race and the second race of his Trans-Am career today at the Texaco/Havoline Grand Prix of Houston Trans-Am. Bell started the race in sixth place and quickly worked his way up to fourth, then eventually third. At lap 56 of 60, Bell passed third place Johnny Miller and take over second. On the second-to-last lap of the race, Bell got by race leader Brian Simo, who had led laps 14 through 58, and went on to the checkered flag. Bad weather forced the cancellation of qualifying, so the starting order was based on the current points standings.

“I was behind Brian (Simo) thinking, ‘he’s led almost every lap, and that it would be rude of me to go by him now on the last lap,’” said the 32-year-old London, England, resident. “But then I came around and he got sideways and that was just enough for me to get by. I made a safe pass and Brian backed off. He was commanding the whole race. On every re-start, he just disappeared in front of us.”

Michael Lewis (#12 AmeriSuites Jaguar XKR) originally finished third, but was penalized for aggressive driving on the last turn of the last lap when he bumped Lou Gigliotti (#28 LG Motorsports/G2 Performance Parts-Chevy Corvette) and he and Tommy Archer (#36 Control Concepts Dodge Viper) slipped by. Upon official review following the race, Lewis received his penalty and dropped to fifth place, allowing Archer to finish third and Gigliotti fourth.

Johnny Miller (#64 AutomationDirect/Cutler-Hammer-Jaguar XKR) ran up in front throughout the race but with two laps to go, he slipped from third to sixth, eventually ran out of gas and finished 10th. “I ran the last two laps with the fuel pressure on zero,” he said. “The last lap I think was sheer willpower.”

http://www.trans-amseries.com/news01/news0174.html

tells us about the blue flag that got snagged from a trackperson

Justin Bell follows the number 1 car closely, then makes his move on the inside in a turn - the announcer says the Corvettes are faster than most cars on the track and he takes him, there is a battle for third with another Corvette driven by Lou Gigliotti who got bumped and went sideways allowing two other cars to pass him. He went crazy at the finish line once he was out of his car - it was as if we were watching a baseball yelling match.

For complete details go here

http://www.trans-amseries.com/2001/houston/racestory.html

Very exciting race and Corvettes are making a mark again. Happy days are here again !!!:cheers:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.