Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By chance I was channel surfing and saw came across this show, "Corvette, the American Dream." A local show. It had these guys in a dealership in Orlando, I believe, explaining the differences in the C5 by year; Color options, wheel changes, intro of FRC... Pretty accurate.

They get to the 2001 model year and the Z06 and afterwards they have a rep from Ecklers talk about 4 mods they had done to the Z06 in the showroom that gained 28 hp and 33 lb/ft of torque which they got from the dyno.

The 4 mods were:

K&N Filter that replaces stock filter.

K&N Cover that has the hole in it to replace the stock filter cover.

Thermostat. changed from the 190-something range to 170-something (I didn't write it down)

Fan Controller to change when the fan comes on and off.

I'm considering the filter change in the near future. Has anyone done the thermostat and fan controller?

Can anyone give the pros and cons of changing the thermostat? I'm wondering why GM didnt put in a lower temp thermostat from the factory unless there is some possible adverse effect in going with a lower temp thermostat. Same with the fan controller.

Don
QSZ06

·
Registered
56 Posts
I think the low temp stat afects the emisions. I manualaly jump the fans at the track. Havent cut the filter lid on the ZO6 yet but it helped on my 2000. Ric

------------------
2001ZO6 Black Mod Red Best ET 12.003 114.45

·
Registered
65 Posts
In my experience with my LT1 Z28, a cold air induction system is one of the best bolt-on mods you can do. I also did the thermostat and used the HPP+ to re-program the fans. Cooler air is denser and makes power. The ZO6 is a different animal and the composite intake is a definite advantage IMO. I don't know that the thermo is necessary. I bought my ZO6 in December and the first two things I did was add cold air (Halltech) and a Ripper.

Rick

·
Registered
89 Posts
Ecklers is over-estimating the gains. Cold air is awesome (port the TB also), but it is not 28/33 of a gain. Stock, the Z06 already breathes better than previous models for several reasons. Hence, cold air gains are good, but not as large. The dyno on my car was 12rwhp and 18rwtrq.

Cold air is a must-do mod!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Colder operating temperatures also increase engine wear.

A lot of people say they see the most hp on the dyno when the engine is warmer. Around 200 I think.

------------------
Brian
01 Quicksilver Z06, Vortex/Powerduct, CAGS, B&M Ripper

D

·
0 Posts
Hello thanks for the figures. I have talked to Mallett in OHio and Lingenfelter and they but say about 12 hp with a good filter. From what i have found out, a big Donaldson works about as good as anything out there. Dennis
TE]Originally posted by Mako:
Ecklers is over-estimating the gains. Cold air is awesome (port the TB also), but it is not 28/33 of a gain. Stock, the Z06 already breathes better than previous models for several reasons. Hence, cold air gains are good, but not as large. The dyno on my car was 12rwhp and 18rwtrq.

Cold air is a must-do mod!
[/QUOTE]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts