Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had fun near San Antonio watching the vette/viper drag races Sunday....

Great day, lots of suns....lots of vettes and vipers...

Highlights:
About 90 cars+showed up...vipers and vettes --plus a couple of 911's, a SS Camaro.

SW's Z07 took unlimited vette honors ....top trap was 146mph....runs in the 9.8-9.9 range. Sweet car....in the king of hill shoot out with the winner of the viper class, unfortunately, something broke on the Z07 and he did not get off....would of been a great race, but I think the Z07 would have taken the viper.

A coworker here at work and his ZR1 won his class - Vette- all motor class, I think, with a sweet 10.99 run. I think he had a lingfelter motor...I gota to get to know this coworker better...he was a good driver...his trap speed was 130+mph

My girlfriend liked the vipers and picked them to win every time when they were racing the vettes....(maybe its time to get a new girlfriend-----just kidding, honey). Vettes did quite well as many of the viper s also did........but the vipers did win the shootouts in both categories against the vettes and those vipers sure looked and sounded mean!!

Several tuners were there and I think the lingfelter cars had the fastest ET of 9.7+ but dont think they raced all the day.

Temp was 85 and sunny with variable winds.

I had fun, it was my first drag race, and even tho I dont even have my vette yet, I already got mod fever....lucky for me I am broke!!

·
Registered
788 Posts
can you be more specific? what were the categories? how did the zo6's do? please give more info.... especially about zo6 and viper head to head races. i was trying to make it down but my trial lasted through the weekend. when you say the vipers won the shootouts in both categories what do you mean? surely, vipers and vettes raced head to head more than twice???

·
Registered
906 Posts
Vettes Rule

It was a great day...for the Sun. It turned out to be 85 degrees and that isn't even on the track. The fastest cars for the day were Vettes.

Only during practice were there head to head Vette vs. Viper and it wasn't separated between classes. Later in the day everyone was affected by the heat. Traps were lower and times were longer in the afternoon trophy runs. There weren't many stock ZO6es running. There were many in the parking lot though. There were alot of modded 'all motor' cars there. I don't remember the fastest time in the stock ZO6es. In practice I think there was a 12.7X...But I am not positive.

I missed the very end...I had a long way to drive home. :(

The fastest cars all day were the Vettes:

SW's Z07, a Lingenfelter prepared car, a White ZR1 and a Blue C4 from Arkansas. Some other cars with potential didn't quite get hooked up. Some were getting used to new equipment (new clutches).

There was a late '60s Vette that decide to show its owner the wall. The driver was OK, but the car was not as lucky.

Overall, there were alot of nice cars and people. :cheers: The weather kept the track records safe from harrassment.

I will post some Banner Pics as soon as I scan them (had to use old 35mm camera) and get Frank to help me post. Thanks in advance Frank.

Also, I don't know who Deb is, but I like her car. :D

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lawboy, I think getinofficer was able to answer or expand on some of your questions....I did take a few pictures and if I can figure out how to post, I will. Actually I am sorry I could not be more specific as this was my first race and I am still understanding basics like class categories......next time I wont be so ignorant about what 'all motor", mod 1, mod2, race what you brung", etc...... all means.....

getinofficer is correct the fastest cars were mostly the vettes - SW Z07, that white Zr1, and the blue C4.....not sure what the fastest viper time was....as I missed some of the prelims, but I know on one of the races he pulled a 10.0 or 10.1...maybe faster earlier that morning.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
I found out later that SW broke something (stub shaft?) in the Kink of the Hill race at the end of the day against the TNT Viper.

There were at least two Vipers under 10 secs consistently in the morning. The fastest times all day were SW's ZO7 and the Lingenfelter 427 TT:eek: :D . The cool thing is SW's is claimed to be a street-legal daily driver, at least it used to be. SW was racing his Viper that day too.

I couldn't open the video due to connection problems, but in the morning practice sessions there were cars lining up against much faster cars...no class breakdowns in practice. But, it was still fun watchin' Vettes beat Vipers down the track.:cheers:

·
Registered
4 Posts
KDubb said:
i was there-

i ran and had a great time

good turnout
hey, i know this is an old thread/post but what route did you take on lowering your car? did you just take the factory settings down to the max or did you shave bushings/buy longer rear bolts?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
394 Posts
2001SS said:

hey, i know this is an old thread/post but what route did you take on lowering your car? did you just take the factory settings down to the max or did you shave bushings/buy longer rear bolts?

Thanks in advance
in the rear, we simply adjusted the bolts- in the front, we shaved the bushings.

see the pics below for the turnout !!! :cheers:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts