Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just did and install on a 2002 Z06 with a Spec stage 2/3 Hybrid. The clutch has no chatter it grabs great (still in the break in period) The problem was coming on strong at 2300 rpm at a light throttle rev up through the rpm range the car had a pretty good vibration. Well put on a few miles and it calmed down a bit but now at 3700-4000 rpm you can feel a strong vibration. You can hear the motor change tone and get rough. We put on a Fidanza aluminum flywheel also we had taken the flywheel to be match balanced to the stock flywheel. To start they were very close little was done to match them. This vibration can be felt when you rev the car sitting still with the clutch in or out and moving when you go up through the gears . I know this is a big topic I was just hopeing someone had the same problem ......The car only has 120 mile on it since the install.

Thanks Guys

·
Registered
309 Posts
I had the same problem when I had my stock flywheel turned. Ended up taking it back out to check it, the back of the flywheel(where it sits flush against the motor) was not straight. I had to get a new one, problem solved.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
when we had them do the balance job at the machine shop they checked it to make sure it was straight. When the guys did the install might have torqued the bolts wrong? Seems like a lot of people have similar problems and everyone's fix is different.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
BEEN THERE DONE THAT TWO TIMES!!
Always go BACK TO WHAT YOU DID LAST, it saves alot of time
There is alot a topics on this, The engine is internal balanced but some had to be rebalanced at the factory with balance pins in the flywheel and dampner. ( I found out the hard way) Look at your old flywheel and see if it had those pins. You measure the weight by the depth of the pins. If no pins (which is good) then you need to go back the balance job or install. Were the two units balanced together and then matched marked? They should have been. Make sure they were installed together as they were balanced. It is in your clutch. I had the same problem NEW from the factory and it took 10k miles and 4 trips to the dealer to get them to realize that the engine had a vibration. The vibration was close to the same rpms. It would do it with clutch in and out. It drove me crazy. I said it was the clutch. When the dealer installed a new torque tube I knew then I had idiots working on it. I had to get the service manger to drive another zo6 just to prove it wasn't the "high performance ZO6 engine and it's race ready exhaust nature of the beast" I had GM ready to buy it back and the day the were to settle the service manager said he had installed a new clutch and it was smooth as silk. I could have gotten new car but all I wanted was it fixed. Since then they replaced the clutch again when it had sticking to the floor issues bent clutch forks issue, Later at 20K it started slipping and I GAVE UP and installed a Exedy dual/flywheel assembly, NOT with out making sure that they were matched balanced (up to 14,000 rpm)
and every since it has been smooth as silk again. When I was deciding which clutch to buy I wanted one that was sold together as an assembly. Good luck as I almost hated to drive my car cause of it

Edited to add something.
Before you bolt it back together crank it up and run it up to those rpms with out the tube, tranny, and rear back in so you don't have to tear it apart again

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
:cheers:
22655TD said:
BEEN THERE DONE THAT TWO TIMES!!
Always go BACK TO WHAT YOU DID LAST, it saves alot of time
There is alot a topics on this, The engine is internal balanced but some had to be rebalanced at the factory with balance pins in the flywheel and dampner. ( I found out the hard way) Look at your old flywheel and see if it had those pins. You measure the weight by the depth of the pins. If no pins (which is good) then you need to go back the balance job or install. Were the two units balanced together and then matched marked? They should have been. Make sure they were installed together as they were balanced. It is in your clutch. I had the same problem NEW from the factory and it took 10k miles and 4 trips to the dealer to get them to realize that the engine had a vibration. The vibration was close to the same rpms. It would do it with clutch in and out. It drove me crazy. I said it was the clutch. When the dealer installed a new torque tube I knew then I had idiots working on it. I had to get the service manger to drive another zo6 just to prove it wasn't the "high performance ZO6 engine and it's race ready exhaust nature of the beast" I had GM ready to buy it back and the day the were to settle the service manager said he had installed a new clutch and it was smooth as silk. I could have gotten new car but all I wanted was it fixed. Since then they replaced the clutch again when it had sticking to the floor issues bent clutch forks issue, Later at 20K it started slipping and I GAVE UP and installed a Exedy dual/flywheel assembly, NOT with out making sure that they were matched balanced (up to 14,000 rpm)
and every since it has been smooth as silk again. When I was deciding which clutch to buy I wanted one that was sold together as an assembly. Good luck as I almost hated to drive my car cause of it

Edited to add something.
Before you bolt it back together crank it up and run it up to those rpms with out the tube, tranny, and rear back in so you don't have to tear it apart again
Great Advice ! I also have the twin Exedy :jammin:

Rob

·
Registered
88 Posts
Spec has had some issues with quality control in the last year. My buddy, the previous owner, had the same problem with the new spec. clutch. It was marked and shipped strapped together. The thing would vibrate at idle and all the way up through the rpm's. Not to mention this thing is a bitch to change with headers etc.

A new exedy single disc kevlar clutch and lightened flywheel fixed all the problems, and she purrs nice and smooth now.

PS Exedy makes one hell of a clutch. I would seriously look at them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Same problem...it sucks...

I just had my clutch replaced including flywheel...it vibrates at around 3500....to..6500 the more it revs , the more agressive it gets...especially on the freeway! Unfortunately they threw my old flywheel away, and never hgot to balance it to match the new one. just never knew it had to be re-balanced. The techs that installed it told me that they never encounter such a problem...the clutch set-up they have comes pre balanced at 0 degrees. and just simply never have those problems, they told me that there was nothing i could do anymore, that it was the engine out of balance.. I barely have 167 miles on my new clutch, and its great except for that vibration, I am so sad about it too...I have kept up my Z-06 so well...its immaculate, never have had any problems...until now. I have thought about everything...all of it has gone through my mind..Do you think if I replace the flywheel only with a fidanza...help any? My vibration is really not agressive but noticible. What should i do now??:-?

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Had the same problem with the same clutch, pulled it out and went with a different clutch instead. Sold it and warned the buyer to get it balanced by someone who really knows what they are doing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Vibrating...and now a small raddle.

Did replacing the clutch work for you?? and how did you get the perfect balance to match your engines balance...did you use your old flywheel for balancing?...I dont have my old one to get the balance off of... I just have the one that is in there now...who knows what the balance is on that flywheel...all i know is that it vibrates...and now...not only that but i hear a small raddle coming from the inside of bellhousing area..it sounds like a very small bolt just shaking in there loose..its not the typical sound you call"marbles in a can"...I'm pretty familiar with that one..its something else...sometimes it does it at idle but almost all the time when im moving...it sounds weird...it just started this morning...I cant understand how all these things are happening. Could it be something loose inside the clutch? do you think it may be causeed by the vibration?....I would love for someone to give me somne pointers..I am supposed to go back down to the place...and replace the clutch and flywheel...this time they told me they would double check the balance for me...and see how it goes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts