Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Wow, Great Video. It is always fun to watch the in car views of racing. :)

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Late appex more often. Turned in early a bunch.
On back straight barely tuch brakes in first section then turn in ( if you start applying gas you scrubbed to much speed) and brake damn hard before going down roller coaster.
Outside of that looked good.
It was a fun weekend!!

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Especially on turn 1 you are way early and on first esses.
On climbing esses use north course section where cones are to go in there a touch then turn in. You could probably take that whole uphill section 10mph faster.
Those little things could get you as much as 3 seconds. Not kidding. 2:15's in a fairly stock car are very possible when running hard (real hard)

·
Registered
882 Posts
Nice Vid! :yeadog:

Why are all the Vipers giving your the finger? :rofl:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys.

Silver - I appreciate the feedback. I was awful at turn 1! The others I didn't feel too good about were 5a and 14a. From what some instructors have told me (had Norbert the last two times) - the initial turn for the esses is somewhat a throw-away, as starting from track center won't make that much difference. I take it that you disagree?

Oh yeah - check out the shift I picked up there:

·
Registered
212 Posts
kick ass video..

Thanks for the experience..

There are some serious rockets out there, huh?

Looked like a supra in one of the shots that had some serious power, and on your fast lap, was that a black viper.. that sucker was moving too..

Haven't made it out on the track ever, but your video definitely makes it look exciting!

I'm sure the wife will love that, motorcycles, skydiving and now racing the vette!ha Thanks again. :jammin:

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
The first turn for the esses is critical as that basically leads on to a straight (because then you have a straight full throttle shot through the rest of them) and you don't slow up to the first uphill esses section.

Next time you are there video those sections and then time it and see what worked best for you.

That's the best thing about a video and track time. Try different lines once you get consistent and see what works and what doesn't based on section times.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Also at VIR

I was also at Vir. Think I was set up next to you. My daughter and I were co driving the 2001 black Z-06. Great viedo. That was a super weekend. Fun to blow up all the Vipers. I am going to run with them in two weeks at Putnam.
Hope to see you next year at VIR.

Molar

·
Registered
11,339 Posts
wish I could have gone-was already headed to the Z06fest by that wknd.

late apex at VIR is usually my line there

nice video:thumb:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Silver Bullet said:
Next time you are there video those sections and then time it and see what worked best for you.
I just got a data overlay box for my video setup...will just check exit speeds. :thumb:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
molar said:
I was also at Vir. Think I was set up next to you. My daughter and I were co driving the 2001 black Z-06. Great viedo. That was a super weekend. Fun to blow up all the Vipers. I am going to run with them in two weeks at Putnam.
Hope to see you next year at VIR.
Hi - yep, I was next to you two. So, what did they say about the wheel bearing? I couldn't believe how fast it went out - very lucky to catch it. You can tell Emily that she impressed my instructor. Third session of day two she was behind me the entire time - faster in some areas and slower in others, so it was a really fun session. Anyway, I told him that his wheel bearing was behind us...a couple of laps later he said something to the effect of "he's moving right along." So, I had to say..."no :NoNo: - SHE's moving right along!" :lol: After the checkered flag he wanted me to flag her by to give a big :thumb: . Too bad about that red viper (rolling road block) in the last session. I'm sure I'll see you next year. FYI - They are going to be more strict on enforcing the "no roll-bar, no treadwear less than 80" it sounds like. I'm talking it over with them now.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Great video John! I am obviously still a novice as you know, but I picked up on you early apexing on turn 1 and probably early at Oak Tree. It is a whole lot easier picking up on things watching it versus driving it ;) I had the same exact issues...

I was told the same thing about the initial turn going into the esses (mid track), for whatever it is worth.

Very nice job not looping the car! (I think it was turn 3 or 4).

Let me know when you plan on going next. Steve and I are talking about trying Synergy Oct 22-23. Sounds like it may be a pretty advanced group (good or bad depending on how you look at it), but tons of track time.

Kirk

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey Kirk - planning on the PCA Monday in late September (125 for the day on full course)...undecided on the Synergy event. They do have four run-groups still - normal beginner, intermediate and <3L (passing with a point), advanced (>3.1L) (open passing), and race. If I go for it, I'll sign up for the intermediate group.

Yeah - definitely early on turn one.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts