Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My neighbor is looking at a used 2002 Z06. We copied the vin# and went through carfax.com and found the car had one previous owner. Only info provided was registered state of DMV, city, miles on car and title ID#. No owners name.

The dealership said they bought the car at an auction and have no idea who may have owned it before. It was registered originally out of state. No window sticker either. Owners manual is blank with no name.

I told him I thought there was some kind of privacy act to protect
owners names from being traced back via the DMV. I may be wrong but have run into a dead end. If he buys the car he wants to start a history on the car like I've done on mine.

Any leads appreciated as he doesn't want to spend anymore $$$.
Like I told him, he hasn't bought the car yet. I hope he does and I'll have someone to race with. Time will tell.

:-? :guiness:

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
I am sure there are better ways to do this, but what I do is I ask a friend of mine ( Police Lt.) to "run this number for me. See what comes up?" If you know a cop,or someone who works in the registry, they should be able to pull that # up, and come up with a name. Good luck . Baron

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I'm not sure if this will work...

If its a chevrolet dealership or if you have friend at a chevrolet dealership service department, have them input the VIN number into their system. If the car was reguraly serviced or was returned from buyback or something major, then the car should be in the dealers service records, even out of state.

At least when I had a Ford 4x4, the work that I had done in KY showed up in my trucks service records here in Maryland. The only way they could have tracked it was via VIN.

At any rate it still should have some original warranty avaialable and if the dealer sells him the extended warranty, get the GMPP full coverage plan then everything is potentially covered ... except for extensive mods.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. he does have a good family friend (salesman) who has been working at the chevy dealership for more years than we are old. He also has a good friend (HS) that works parts there also. Maybe we got a base hit.

I'll let post any ++++++ results that give prior ownership.

Thanks again.

:guiness:

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Negative results. The Chevy parts/service/sales end tried and only comes up with the same info provided by carfax.com

Lots of people worried about this privacy act.

Screw it, I've spent enough of my time on this guy. I'm going to go out and burn up some 100 octane Sunoco unleaded I've got sitting around. Color me GONE.

Thanks again.

:guiness: :guiness: :guiness:

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
B:

I've noticed a pickup in all the gears. Maybe it's my imagination.
Bristol will be open soon and I'll make a comparison of high test pump gas, mixed and then straight 100 octane.

I've seen this question come up before so I'll do my best to give all an honest answer. Why waste my money right. My times should tell me what's happening.

Bad vibes on the Interstate. I guess the state troopers were testing some new radars as I counted 4 people pulled over in less than an hour. So I headed home.
:guiness:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts