Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in process of installing a Vinci fan controller/ therm. on my 02 Z06. My Question is, how do you hook up the yellow wire into the fuse/relay center? Instuctions say: Install yellow lead with fuse clip attached into an ignition activated fuse position.....this so called fuse clip, doesn't fit the fuse. I must be missing something. Can any body offer any advice to help me out? Thanks:-? :-?

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Dave,

I have not done this mod. Question though is basic elec i guess. When you say clip does not fit do you mean with wire attached or just wont fit in fuse spot ??. Can you splice wire to exsisting wire ??

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At best I am guessing too; it appears that one leg of the fuse goes through the the clip , which the yellow wire should plug into. However, the fuse is just alittle to large for the slot in the clip. I guess I could force it, but what is the long term value of this?

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Ok,

Again just going on basic elec. "However, the fuse is just alittle to large for the slot in the clip" can you file both sides of the clip b4 attaching anything to make a good conn. That should work..............

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did that, connection seems alittle loose,perhaps I am a little to picky. But it seems to me, that a more profestional hook up could be made. We are talking about a $200.00+ part on a over $50,000.00 car, which is not only a HP issue, but most important , a survival issue for my investment in the long run.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Dave,

Did it all work out, Doe's fan controllars work ok. Keep an eye on connection and talk to MFG about a better part. Hope all went Well.............

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
vinci controller

Dave:

I wasn't thinking. I just sent you a private message instead of replying to yourpost. Let me know if that will help.

They are just buying a brass connector from a supplier. Like so many things you get you have to fix em befor you can use em.:mad:

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
vinci controller

Dave:

I wasn't thinking. I just sent you a private message instead of replying to yourpost. Let me know if that will help.

They are just buying a brass connector from a supplier. Like so many things you get you have to fix em befor you can use em.:mad:

·
Registered
878 Posts
Dave,

Glad to see you decided to keep the controller. Hope it works out. I might be out your way next weekend. If I am, I'll let you know.

Noah

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All is connected, took Terry's advice, and seems to be working. What would be a good temp. for fan to come on? I am going to guess at 189.... what do you think?

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
vinci fan controller

Dave: What temp thermostat do you have?:-?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Vinci web site does't say, however, during warm up, I checked upper rad. hose, thermostat seem to open at 178.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
I USED TO LIVE IN LAKESIDE!!!!

LS6DAVE,

Actually, Eucalyptus Hills. Graduated from El Capitan High School!!

Lived there for 5 years!! We used to use the Bridge on Hiway 67 as a drag strip. Barney Oldfield Raced there in *Downtown* Lakeside a long time ago!!

We also did some fast driving thru the Barona Indian Reservation in my 1959 Corvette Convertable.....

I went to Grossmont JC and graduated from San Diego State. Attended The University of San Diego School of Law.

Lived in La Mesa, El Cajon, Santee and San Diego!!

San Diego is one of the Best Cities in the Country to live IMHO:cool:

I just ordered a Vinci Fan Controler and will be installing it this week:)

:cheers:
Barrie

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
vinci fan controller

Barrie: I have some ideas about what I think is a better installation for the Vinci fan controller. Let me know if you are interested.:)
Did you get the manual fan switch put in?

Dave: You may have to do a little trial & error. If you set the fans to come on too low they will always be on except when the engine is warming up.

:( Which is ok I guess if you want them always on & I suppose they will wear out sooner.

If you have a 178 degree thermostat and assuming it is working correctly, the engine (after it warms up) should always run a minimum of about 178 degrees so the fans can never cool the engine below the temp. that the thermostat opens. I would try setting it so the fans come on about 10 degrees above the thermostat temp. and see how that works. The temp. will probably get a little hotter than the on temp. of the fans because it will take a little while for the fans to cool the coolant in the radiator and then the coolant in the radiator has to flow into the engine to cool it down.

After the fans catch up the engine temp should stay between the thermostat temp. and the fan on temp. that you select.

All of this assumes you are operating within the ability of the cooling system to disapate heat. If you are making too much heat (running the car hard ,have the AC on & its 120 degrees out side) you won't be able to keep it as cool.:mad:

Let me know how it works.

Terry :z:

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
VINCI FAN CONTROLLER

Terry,

I expect my Vinci Fan Controller to show up tomorrow. I halted installation of the manual switch to learn more. Some said it wouldn't work, and many guys love their Vinci's.

So, please let me hear your ideas on a better installation. :)

Thanks Bro,
Barrie

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Barrie: Vinci says to put the controller just behind the knob for the right headlite. I guess it will clear the hood but it looks too close for comfort to me.: ( I do not trust double stick tape. If the hood smashes it or if it comes loose & my $200.00 controller gets crushed in the hood hinge I will be :flaming:

Here is what I did. Reach up from inside the front tire with a pair of pliers. Pinch the barbs on the grey plastic connector and lift the grey 5 wire connector off the fender liner. Move it 2" toward the outside of the car & drill a 1/4"hole & push the barbed end in the new hole & it looks like it belongs there.:) The wires on the back side are not long enough to stay in the round black holder. Take a small screwdriver release the holder & take the black wire loom out.;) I think I will be able to use the round black holder for the wires from the controller. (I'm not done with mine yet) For any wires that show I will get some black plastic wire loom at the auto store so it will look as much like factory as possible.

I used the 1/4" hole I took the 5 wire connector out of and put an 8-32 allen bolt through the hole in the controller and fastened the controller to the fender liner. I then drilled a hole the same size as the hole in the controller through the other hole in the controller through the fender liner (to the rear of the original hole). loose. See next post:guiness:

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I let the car cool down for 24 hrs. and redialed the fan to come at 187, I hope to have the weekend off for a full on test drive :cheers: :cheers:................and to you 01ZEE06 you must come down and make the Julian/ Pallimar mountian run, and lets blow some jap- bikes off the road.:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Terry, Vinci location is less than wonderful, I put mind on the frame rail, about 3" behind the rad........ looks good .....and is out of site..................you know style is important on america's #1 sports car....going fast is important... but you gota look good getting there:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Dave: I looked all over in that area for a place to put it with out having to extend the wires. Mine is a little crowded on the frame in that area. Make sure the tape does not let go at a later date. :cry: Best to ya. :cheers:

Barrie: Sorry I ran out of room and had to take my son to basketball practice. :)

I used washers & ny-lock nuts on the allen bolts. That way you do not have to overtighten against the plastic & fiberglass and the nuts will not come off. :)

Next problem. :roll: The fuse leg may not want to go in the hole in the end of the brass terminal adapter. If so take a fine file and take just a little off the edge of the fuse leg so it will go in the hole. Be sure to connect to the fused side so if the fuse blows you lose power to the controller.

Next problem. :roll: The fuse probably will not want to go in the fuse block with the brass adapter on it. Take the fine file and carefully file the 3 sides of the brass adapter so they are flush with the plastic where the fuse leg comes out. ( I used a tiny ty-wrap to hold the brass adapter snug against the plastic part of the fuse.) The fuse should now go about 1/2 way in and be fairly snug in the fuse block. If you want it to go in further very carefully take a small dremmel or similar bit and remove a small bit of the 45 degree angle in the fuse block. That is where the 90 degree bend at the bottom of the brass adapter hits. ;) I used the AC fuse because it was easiest to access. See next post.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Man I ran out of room again.:eek:

I forgot :bang: de-bur the edges of the fuse leg when you file it.

Let me know what you think.:-? Hope this makes it a little easier.

:cheers: :z:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts