Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, just thought I would share my little run-in with a viper story........Feb 20th, went to a vette/viper shootout at No Problem Raceway. So I'm on my way home with my buddy in the car and as the road goes from 4 lanes to two I see this red Viper coming up on me hard from behind, so I'm thinking this should be fun. Anyway he follows me for about 5 miles until we get to the interstate on ramp. So I get on the interstate and he immediately pulls along side as we are running about 70, so I offer a run, he gladly accepts, so we down shift to third and on a three honk start we run through 4th where we have to slow for traffic, I pulled about a half car on him in this race, so we decide to run again, but from a slower pace. This time I slow down to 45 and am in second gear, no cars in front so we're off again. same 3 honk start, but this time he gets the jump on me, no big deal, as I drive by him and pull about a car and a half on him to a speed of about 130. Needless to say, I was pumped, my car is bone stock except for a K&N filter in the stock box and I just spanked a dodge viper that was without a 240lb passenger and had 45 more HP than my car. Oh yeah, there was a red Z06 that was with him ad saw the whole race from behind. Hopefully, he is a member here and can validate. I wish I had my camera!!!!!!!!! :mah: Z06's rock!

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Viper kills are always :coo:

·
Registered
151 Posts
It's loverly he let you roll from the best rpm zone- both races.... Or did you hoodwink him?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
zedo said:
It's loverly he let you roll from the best rpm zone- both races.... Or did you hoodwink him?
He had no idea what he was up against. :jammin: Never underestimate the power of a Z!

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
what kind of viper?

·
Registered
350 Posts
:roll:

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
phantasms said:
what kind of viper?
What he said..Gen I Viper I believe, but a Gen II or III would hand you your butt with a near bone stock Z06 if the driver knows what he/she is doing, specially from a roll past 100 mph.

But hey, nontheless, good kill on the snake.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Zlicious said:
What he said..Gen I Viper I believe, but a Gen II or III would hand you your butt with a near bone stock Z06 if the driver knows what he/she is doing, specially from a roll past 100 mph.

But hey, nontheless, good kill on the snake.
Agreed. No way a competent driver in a Gen II snake will lose to a stock Z with a driver of equal skill.

If it was the "older" body style with side exhaust, then it was a Gen I.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Thanks for sharing. :thumb:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nope, was a Gen II. I believe the last year RT/10. It was red with the camel interior and a rear exit exhaust. I will admit that he was starting to pull me at the end of our races, but I am sorry, most races are over when you shift into fifth. I sure wish I had the camera, cause it was a sick kill. My buddy in the passenger seat has a blown cobra with almost 500 to the wheels and he was freaking out how I pulled on the Viper. Any competent driven Vipers live near by? I'd love to run again just to make sure it wasn't a fluke. :z:

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Phastang said:
Nope, was a Gen II. I believe the last year RT/10. It was red with the camel interior and a rear exit exhaust. I will admit that he was starting to pull me at the end of our races, but I am sorry, most races are over when you shift into fifth. I sure wish I had the camera, cause it was a sick kill. My buddy in the passenger seat has a blown cobra with almost 500 to the wheels and he was freaking out how I pulled on the Viper. Any competent driven Vipers live near by? I'd love to run again just to make sure it wasn't a fluke. :z:
I am not doubting your kill at all. I believe you 100% because I know anything can happen on the street in regards to driving skills. But believe me when I say that a Gen II Viper will beat a Z06 above 100 mph by a large margain. I know this from experience. If you ever get a chance, get yourself in the Viper and have someone drive your Z, and then you will understand what i am saying.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Paul said:
Agreed. No way a competent driver in a Gen II snake will lose to a stock Z with a driver of equal skill.

If it was the "older" body style with side exhaust, then it was a Gen I.
Paul, I know you have a viper and z06, but your not paying attention to the races, I believe them and he could do that again, No doubt the viper can take a z06, I dont even give the weight excuse because the vipers torque evens or passes that excuse. Its from where the races started, the first from 70mph is a perfect run for a z06, but its not for the viper, he is in 2nd gear then has to shift into third, so z06 had an advantage, then look at the second, it was from 45mph, the perfect set up for the z06, wouldn't the viper be still in 1st gear range, but problably start on second but with problably lag into it, plus the z06 having its short 2nd gear from the bottom as well, I believe the viper by no doubt can take a z06 bottom, top and middle, but from short distances like that, he had no room to make up for the zs sweet spots , which is the only sweet spots I know of the z06 which is 45-50 roll on 2nd, and 3rd from 70mph is problably the best, now put the vipers on its sweet spots for a short or long range , then see the z06 get blown away even more then the z06 blew the viper

Hey :idea: your viper is still stock so is my z06 ;)

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
COUTO1981 said:
Paul, I know you have a viper and z06, but your not paying attention to the races, I believe them and he could do that again, No doubt the viper can take a z06, I dont even give the weight excuse because the vipers torque evens or passes that excuse. Its from where the races started, the first from 70mph is a perfect run for a z06, but its not for the viper, he is in 2nd gear then has to shift into third, so z06 had an advantage, then look at the second, it was from 45mph, the perfect set up for the z06, wouldn't the viper be still in 1st gear range, but problably start on second but with problably lag into it, plus the z06 having its short 2nd gear from the bottom as well, I believe the viper by no doubt can take a z06 bottom, top and middle, but from short distances like that, he had no room to make up for the zs sweet spots , which is the only sweet spots I know of the z06 which is 45-50 roll on 2nd, and 3rd from 70mph is problably the best, now put the vipers on its sweet spots for a short or long range , then see the z06 get blown away even more then the z06 blew the viper

Hey :idea: your viper is still stock so is my z06 ;)

:thumb: :z:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Phastang said:
I just spanked a dodge viper that was without a 240lb passenger and had 45 more HP than my car. Oh yeah, there was a red Z06 that was with him ad saw the whole race from behind. Hopefully, he is a member here and can validate. I wish I had my camera!!!!!!!!! :mah: Z06's rock!
Hate to burst your bubble, I've owned them both and unless the Viper driver wasn't trying or backed off, there is no way you walk him in your Z06 pal. Maybe he just couldn't drive. Equal drivers, the Viper wins everytime street or track. Fact of life.

·
Administrator
21,250 Posts
PDCjonny said:
Hate to burst your bubble, I've owned them both and unless the Viper driver wasn't trying or backed off, there is no way you walk him in your Z06 pal. Maybe he just couldn't drive. Equal drivers, the Viper wins everytime street or track. Fact of life.
I've looked back through several of your past posts and you seem to be pretty pessimistic about Corvette's and even Corvette owners since you bought a Viper, Johnny. Why is that??

Mike

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
PDCjonny said:

I dont mean to burst YOUR bubble, but owning both doesnt mean much considering they are VERY close competitors. you cant sit in one take around the block, then take the other around the block , and indicated which one is faster, plus read his whole post, then read mine where I explain in more detail(page 1 of this thread)! Because if you haven't raced from those speeds on those gears for that short distance, you CANNOTT know if the story is just some bad driver or someone letting go, nobody is goind to start to race both times and let go, plus the driver ability on roll doesn't mean much, maybe a missed shift or something but slamming your foot down on the throddle is about as simple as that! and by the way I owned a supercharged mustang(400rwhp), and now the z06, and I have ideas of which one is faster at which points, but from a roll from diffrent gears ect. I wouldnt sit here and argue because Im not positive of it because I didnt get the two side by side, But dont get me wrong Im not positive about the viper kill of this thread, Im just believing in what he says by what I understand about both cars!

Dont deny his run, I am jealous of his adventure :cheers:

ps. If it was someone with a 200hp car with an exhaust talking about beating a 345hp corvette, that's another story, that's what you made it sound like :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Phastang said:
Hey guys, just thought I would share my little run-in with a viper story........Feb 20th, went to a vette/viper shootout at No Problem Raceway. So I'm on my way home with my buddy in the car and as the road goes from 4 lanes to two I see this red Viper coming up on me hard from behind, so I'm thinking this should be fun. Anyway he follows me for about 5 miles until we get to the interstate on ramp. So I get on the interstate and he immediately pulls along side as we are running about 70, so I offer a run, he gladly accepts, so we down shift to third and on a three honk start we run through 4th where we have to slow for traffic, I pulled about a half car on him in this race, so we decide to run again, but from a slower pace. This time I slow down to 45 and am in second gear, no cars in front so we're off again. same 3 honk start, but this time he gets the jump on me, no big deal, as I drive by him and pull about a car and a half on him to a speed of about 130. Needless to say, I was pumped, my car is bone stock except for a K&N filter in the stock box and I just spanked a dodge viper that was without a 240lb passenger and had 45 more HP than my car. Oh yeah, there was a red Z06 that was with him ad saw the whole race from behind. Hopefully, he is a member here and can validate. I wish I had my camera!!!!!!!!! :mah: Z06's rock!
Good kill :thumb:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
PDCjonny said:
Sorry Jonny, not trying to stir the pot, but I have driven plenty of Vipers and there is not that much difference between the two cars. If you had read the entire thread you would know that i said he was STARTING to pull on me when we ran into traffic at the 4-5 shift, which I believe is fast enough to prove that on this particular day, I smoked that Vipers azz! If you want to bring your Viper down to Louisiana, I would be happy to run you ANYTIME, ANYPLACE, and for ANY $$$$$'s.
Have a great day! :mug:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts