Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the metro Detroit area and I was on I275 and ran into a Z06. The guy wanted to race me to see how fast his car was since he had just got it modded. We did several 3rd and 4th gear runs and I pulled away from him pretty easily. Then he motioned me to pull off at the next exit.

When I spoke with him he told me that he had just gotten the 'Viper Killer' package from some shop and the package was supposed to give him 425RWHP.

Does anybody here know what this 'Viper Killer' package is? I think the guy got ripped off but I don't know how much he paid nor do I know what upgrades he paid for. I was just curious what this 'Viper Killer' package was. I would think it'd be hard to take a stock Z06 (370rwhp?) to 425RWHP without increasing the compression or adding boost since GM did all the basic mods just to make the Z06.

If any of you know about the 'Viper Killer' package let me know. I'm curious what the mod list is, who the company is, and if it was actually supposed to give the guy 425RWHP.

Thanks
Michael

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
Hmm, there is a Z600, I don't know that it's 425 RWHP though...Hennesy does that one I think. The guys will have you an answer shortly....

JC

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
The Z06 with heads and cam will pull 410-430 RWHP, stay tuned a few months and see what we can do with the stock bottom end, we should make at least 450 RWHP with heads, cam, header and some good computer programming, and maybe more with some soon to be released goodies. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
Meggleto, what were you driving? Was it another Z06 or a Viper? Sounds like the guy got taken or just plain ol' can't drive! You would think that if he went for more hp it would be because he is able to use all that a stock Z06 has to offer. Some people should invest in driving lessons rather than modifications!!!! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_confused.gif Bill

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually I was driving a modded Supra. I dynoed at 424rwhp. The guy really didn't have much of a chance. Modded turbos make more power off the dyno because the airflow from the turbos doesn't get cooled because there's no airflow to the frontmount intercooler. Doing the calculations based on thrust, gear ratios, etc. the car is at 462rwhp.

I know there's faster Z06's out there though. I was just curious what this 'Viper Killer' package was. My friend has a modded Viper with 425rwhp and he was curious about the package too. His car is slightly slower than mine but he's got more mods on the way so this fall he may be quicker.

I guess I'll have to wait until I run into the guy again or else the kit gets more popular.
Michael

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
I really am no expert on rear wheel horsepower but I understand the basic concept. What I do know is that a local kid has a new 01 trans am/firebird or whatever they call that ram air thing. It has a 325 hp 350 engine or there about anyway. One day I had my old boss mustang out and he reels me in like a fish on a line. I let him get close and he sits on my rear bumber for a while, beeping his horn and flashing his lights. After about 10 (very long) seconds, I hear him "get on it" and attempt to drive around me at the same time I do likewise. Well, he never did get around me and I was surprised as to how much I pulled away from him, about 15 car lengths in a 3/4 mile stretch. We caught a red light and he wanted more and off we went. He never did get to see the front of my car! My car is rated at 290 flywheel hp, but we know it is an underrated figure, but the moral to the story is that the numbers don't tell the whole story and then driver means more than the sum of the parts. Bill /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I am in the process of having a "package" done right now. It is the Hennessey Z600. It is a 415cid super stroker putting out about 600hp and 550 trq. That is over 500 rwhp. There is also a nitrous system that is being installed and will put the car close to 800hp. That should be enough to handle most any Viper, not all though /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On the highway starting at 70mph and 85mph basically all you're doing is a 3rd or 4th gear pull and driver skill is not involved. The Z06 and I did 3rd gear pulls a couple times and then we did 4th gear pulls a couple times. The 4th gear pulls started at about 85mph. Each time I left him like he was on the brakes. When we lined up we both shifted into lower gears so he wasn't in 6th.

When there's no shifting involved and no traction problems basically all you need is a driver intelligent enough to press the pedal all the way down. The car with the best power to weight ratio wins. The guy was smart enough to buy a Z06 instead of a slow vette and he was smart enough to mod the car so I don't think he'd be in the wrong gear. Especially since he knew detailed info about modding cars when I spoke with him.

Numbers always tell the story. The problem in real life is that people don't like to use the real numbers or don't take the time to test the car and find out what the real numbers are.

For example you state your car is rated at 290hp but that's just a number that someone else's car supposedly tested at. Yours may be only 280hp or it may be 300. Then if you're a football player and weight 300lbs, your car would be much slower with you in it.

None of this matters of course because I was trying to find out what the package was. I know my car is much faster than a stock Z06 and most modded Z06's. I also know that there are modded Z06's out there that are faster than my car and maybe I'll run into one someday.

The Woodward Dream Cruise is this weekend so I'll see if there's a Z06 group that I can talk to about the 'viper killer' package.

>>My car is rated at 290 flywheel hp, but we >>know it is an underrated figure, but the >>moral to the story is that the numbers >>don't tell the whole story and then driver >>means more than the sum of the parts. Bill

·
Registered
528 Posts
Michael,

Did the guy in the Z06 actually dynoed his car and saw a 425rwhp or he got that from the people who installed the package for him?

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
If you own a Viper, why are you so interested in this package? Especially when you "pulled like he was on the brakes"....

Sounds like you're trolling for a bite. You won't get it here.

JC

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The guy didn't dyno the car but said the company with the kit said he'd have 425rwhp after the kit was installed. I suggested to the guy that he dyno it to bring evidence back to the company.

I'm interested in the kit because I (Modded Supra) and my friend (Modded Viper) were just curious about what the kit was and how much he paid for it. So I posted so we could find out. Unfortunately the kit isn't very popular so unless I run into someone that knows about the kit this weekend we'll just be curious for a while.

I'm not looking for a bite. I'm in the metro detroit area. If I want a bite all I have to do is drive around. There's vettes all over this place. I see at least 3 Z06's a day and probably 20 normal vettes. If I wanted a bite I'd go outside and get a real one and not something through the internet. I was just looking for information. That's why I didn't even post what I was driving in my original post.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've been trying to get my car to 380rwhp thinking with the it's lighter weight it should be in the vipers power threshold. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
561 Posts
<-------Is skeptical that your Supra is as fast as you claim. It probably is fast, however no street car will "pull away (from a mid 12 second Z06) like it is on the brakes." It seems to me like your intent is not to inquire about the "Viper Killer" package (since it obviously is less than impressive according to you) but rather to toot your own horn about how fast your Supra is, knowing someone would ask what car you have. This website being entitled www.Z06vette.com leads me to believe that noone here appreciates your car or how bad you can beat a Z06. We all are Z06 fans. You won't see me on the supra fan webpage telling them how badly my car will beat a Supra, whether it can or not. Would you like to know why??????? Because noone there gives a S#*t.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts