Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading a few posts here and elsewhere about Viper kills... and I'm wondering - have any of you ever raced a Viper GTS??
A friend of mine bought a yellow GTS last summer (the older body style, I think it was an '01) from one of the owners of a pretty big local dealership... the owner claimed it ONLY had the stock computer re-tuned, and that it was sitting at nearly 500HP... well, that sounded like BS, but once I got in it, I believed it!
I drove it around a few times, and I can honestly say that it is the fastest car I've ever driven in, or even been in. :jawdrop: The rears would spin out almost every time upon acceleration, even when giving it a little juice.. but once the tires hooked up, the G forces were just unreal.

No lie here - he wanted to test it's 0-60 times, so on a nice day last summer, I got a stopwatch and sat shotgun. We waited on the side of an onramp to a local hwy until no cars were coming, and then he pulled out and stopped. I counted to 3, and he took off. By the time he hit 60, I stopped the watch, and it read 3.7 something. We ran it another time the same exact way, and the second time was just a hair slower. I don't know if he just had a few really lucky runs, but the tires hooked beautifully, and it just took off like a damn rocket. Those 0-60 times are almost comparable to the ENZO!

As a footnote, I can say that although I was blown away by it's power, I'd NEVER actually want to own a Viper because the handling absolutely SUCKED. The very first day he got it the ass end came out a few times around shallow corners, and we weren't even going that fast. It was like a workout trying to drive it on the highway too - it was all over the place! I don't know if it needed an alignment or what, but the thing would just hook HARD to the left or right out of nowhere on the hwy, no trailers in front of us causing wind sheer or anything. You'd have to have both hands on the wheel and hold on tight. Is this how all Vipers are??

On a track, the Viper wouldn't stand a snowball's chance in hell of winning vs the Zee, but ever since that day, I've had a lot of respect for that car, and wouldn't EVER think of running a GTS in a straight line! :D

·
Registered
18,357 Posts
I've never raced a GTS but I've raced an 03 SRT-10. I'll tell you right up front. This car is faster than my 02 Z was. I just outdrove him. I got into in second and pulled him about 2 cars, he was reeling me in fast when I went to 3rd and pulled another car on him. Then he started to come back but we had to get out of it.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Ummmm.....I have video of me spankin one.....but the driver CLEARLY did not bring the proper gear to the track that day......you know.....slicks.....driving skills.....that important stuff.:D

·
Registered
265 Posts
holedgr said:
Ummmm.....I have video of me spankin one.....but the driver CLEARLY did not bring the proper gear to the track that day......you know.....slicks.....driving skills.....that important stuff.:D

Me too......A Supercharged one...

Right Click Save as...
Viper Kill

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I have dyno sheets of my 427 C5R Vette overlapped on the dyno sheets of a 2003 mildly modified Viper GTS. After 2,200 rpm, the game is over for the Viper since I have more torque and horsepower throughout the 900-6750 rev range. The Vette also weighs 300 lbs less than the Viper and a 3.90 rear doesn't hurt either. I'll send softcopies to someone if you'll post the damned thing or tell me how to...

·
Registered
242 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
i have run against a few at 1/8th track and street, when i was stock the newer ones were faster and i was a bit faster than the older ones...after a few mods to my car it evened out and after H/C I have not lost to a Viper (stock or near stock)...surprisingly with stock tires they can pull 1.75 60ft ... on the street i have had numerous challenges (until i put cage in I looked stock)...just love the look on their faces when you pull 3-4 cars from 30-100mph. most Viper guys are friendly and give the thumbs-up...only came across one who had a negative response...

·
Registered
350 Posts
Z06 Rocket said:
On a track, the Viper wouldn't stand a snowball's chance in hell of winning vs the Zee, but ever since that day, I've had a lot of respect for that car, and wouldn't EVER think of running a GTS in a straight line! :D
Uh, actually a properly prepared Viper with a good driver is a dead even match with the Z06....maybe even faster. Although the Vipers haven't run in T1 over the past year or so, they handle incredible well and the power speaks for itself. To bring the Viper closer to the Z, they actually have to run with a restrictor plate. Without that plate, they rock! Also, the Vette has been given many, many things to make it faster: T1 suspension kit, bigger radiator, oil cooler, tranny cooler, sump, brake ducting...etc. Scotty White and his team-mate Cindi Lux are now running Vipers this year out on the left coast and they will be formidable opponents come runoffs time!!!! Guaranteed! I'm a vette guy, but given equal drivers and an unrestricted Viper, the Viper will most likely win. That's a fact!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts