Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I still own my TT, I frequent one of the Audiboards, and readup on the cars whenever Im board.. So tonight Im rummaging through the S4 boards and see this..
a picture of our 405hp badge, and a comment saying "I lost count of how many of these were around. Easy to pass too."

"Easy to pass????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not sure if any of our fellow members were there, but guys.. what happened? :-? A few of these guys on this board think they can whip a Z06 but we all know thats a ridiculous claim.. Needless to say, I find it it very entertaining when I read some of their posts in which they say they raced a Z06 and crushed it.. :roll:

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
The driver is 90% of the equation at a DE. I wouldn't even let a post like this bother me.

I'll be at a Mazda event at VIR on March 26-27. Never been there before. He is welcome to bring his Audi and see how easy my 405 HP badge is to pass... :lol:

·
Registered
161 Posts
they're talking about miata's passing the z's in the straights too... IMHO they can say whatever they like - I definitely would not want their car!

·
Premium Member
4,018 Posts
freefall said:
they're talking about miata's passing the z's in the straights too... IMHO they can say whatever they like -

That's a good one!!! I did'nt read that, missed it!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

However I do agree with Subdriver on the drivers ability. At the same time though, members of this site at a DE are a little more track adjusted.....for the most part I think. Not race caliber but....

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Fully race-prepped Miatas on Hoosiers do keep up pretty well against street Z06s. I was running against some Spec Miatas at Barber last year, and while I crushed them on the straights, they could reel me in a bit in the corners, and since Barber is not a course with huge straights, like Road Atlanta, it made it fun.

If you've done some suspension work to your Vette--lower it, Hoosiers, full T1 set up--you'd inhale the Miata in the corners, too. All I had was a track alignment and Kuhmo V700s on CCW wheels. Other than that, my suspension was stock and the Miata's was not.

A few key mods do make a huge difference. That said, if that Audi wagon is stock, I'd eat it for lunch. Heck, the O5 S4 Avant weighs just under 4000 pounds. The 03 weighs about 3800 pounds. The extra weight alone would kill it. Maybe this guy has $10,000 worth of suspension mods and runs 22 pounds of intercooled boost....

·
Registered
874 Posts
I love posts like these. Hmmm? maybe the drivers in the Z's were not pushing very hard, maybe it was some guy who just wanted to drive on a track. There are a bunch of logical reasons as to why this happened. Why does somebody always have to pick on our cars?

If the poster has any set of you know what he woul'd have no problem taking on Subdriver. But you know what? Who cares who's faster that day, because there is always someone faster and with more ability. So if he's so fast how come he's not driving in F1. :bs:

·
Registered
20 Posts
The audi wagon was driving in the intermediate group. IOW the majority of the drivers are driving at 5 to 7 10ths.

There were lots of well driven vettes at that event but most were either instructors or advanced students.

My track car lost the trans so I used my daily driver and I'm still icing my left arm but I had lots of fun in the corners :)

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
If this was at the THSCC event this past weekend it sure wasn't me they passed or anyone else I know.
Maybe in the novice class. But sure take any novice in any car against someone with even 3-5 schools in a slower car and they will be quicker.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Subdriver said:
The driver is 90% of the equation at a DE. I wouldn't even let a post like this bother me.

I'll be at a Mazda event at VIR on March 26-27. Never been there before. He is welcome to bring his Audi and see how easy my 405 HP badge is to pass... :lol:
I second that! I'll be there too! :yeadog:

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
Guy talks crap and then backs off when someone layed the smack down on him.

VIR is too big of a track for any miata to have an advantage.

Was there twice last year, first time with mazda group. Nice guys but too many rolling road blocks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
OK, FOR THE RECORD...

My C5 is the Pewter colored car in the pics... I was in the intermediate group WITH that wagon in the morning sessions...

During those sessions, and after the WHOLE GROUP had a royal ass chewing from the instructors, because some folks were being stupid on cold tires, I was running slower in BOTH morning sessions on BOTH days. That Wagon ABSOLUTELY passed me, and I'd gladly admit it... He was on fire. Good driver, congrats, good for you...

However, And I have this on tape to confirm, (and as soon as I get some time to upload it, I will) in the afternoon session the first day there was a full race prepped M3 that passed me, and the black Ferrari 355F1 were the only cars that passed me, and the Ferrari was let by so I could pace him. During the Sunday afternoon session, one car passed me, and that was the M3 I mention above. The ferrari looped it coming out of turn two trying to pace me, and told me later that I was MUCH faster than him from turn five all the way down to oaktree. Norb Watts was my instructor and can comment, since we both had a BALL playing with the Ferrari!

Funny, but I may have caused the ego stroke for the guy in the Audi wagon. After the second session on day two, I loaded up and was heading out. I stopped in the pits and told the owner of the wagon that I was truly impressed, and that he had passed me and I was in a Vette. Didn't say anything about the fact that I was on Kumho Ecsta MX tires or crappy Ceramicoat pads (They were free and a trial pair... never use them again...)

I had a blast, and I'll be back there with the Mazda boys Easter Weekend... I'll be on my Hawk HT8 pads and Hoosier slicks... We'll see how well they pass me then! :guiness:

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I had a blast, and I'll be back there with the Mazda boys Easter Weekend... I'll be on my Hawk HT8 pads and Hoosier slicks... We'll see how well they pass me then!
Sweet! I'll be there that weekend as well. I'm really looking forward to finally getting on VIR. :cheers:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts