Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you may remember from last Summer's Fest, my Vortech blown Z has had it's share of shredded serpentine belts. Phil and the gang over at Dynotech have tirelessly tried to get the problems worked out with the conventional fixes, but the thing just kept eating belts. Finally, Phil said, "Let me have your car for a few months and I'll fabricate a serpentine system that'll NEVER eat a belt." Well, the totally re-worked serpentine system is up and running on my Z. He'll have it tuned this week and I should have the car back by the weekend.

I don't want to get into the specifics of the set up in an open thread as Phil has a bunch of time and money invested in the systems development. Let me just say that it's an amazing piece of engineering. It features custom bracketry, extensively altered pulleys and a manually adjustable belt tensioner. He also used a modified LS2 water pump.

Phil's intention is to market the system as a retro-fit package for existing Vortech equipped cars. If you've experienced belt shredding issues with your Vortech'd Vette, I'd urge you to give Phil a call. I'll post back my impressions when I get the car back. He also installed a set of AFR 205s and upgraded my head unit from an S-Trim to a T-Trim, so after tuning it should be a fun drive home! :yeadog:

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
I've made an extensive study of my Vortech, now on it's third belt in 1.5 years. I've caught it in the pre-failure state twice. The belt likes to jump grooves, usually on the S/C pulley (and yes, I have checked alignment). When it does, the rib of the belt that's riding off the side of the pulley cuts through and seperates. The rest of the belt starts to fall apart (if you take it easy, you can get maybe 15-20 miles out of the belt before it dies. Hit it hard, it'll last maybe a minute or two). The end result is a "shredded" belt.

The car tends to drop belts when the TC cuts in at WOT. Typically, if I've got it wide open, high RPM, and I hit an irregularity in the road (like a bridge expansion joint).

The problem appears to me to be fairly simple. Reflected Inertia. The blower has a big gear head to multiply the low belt RPM up to the 10Ks RPM needed by the compressor. That gives the blower a fair amount of inertia. When the engine RPM changes quickly (like when TC cuts in/out at WOT and near red-line), the blower inertia creates a "ripple" of slack in the belt (think of snapping a whip) and the belt walks a groove on the blower pulley. The motor accelerates faster than the blower can. I suspect my Aluminum F/W and lightweight PP contribute to the problem.

I've been thinking of what I could engineer to fix this. I haven't been able to come up with anything I think is workable. I'd be very interested in learning more about this option.

·
Registered
27 Posts
(Knock on wood )- I've been lucky so far with my Vortech Z06. 9500+ miles and no belt issues. I go WOT at least daily, and have done a couple of DE days and really worked it.

Thanks for your post Tom, I'm going to bookmark it to refer to if I DO have issues in the future.

You've had patience with this! Nice to hear you're getting your Z back. I'm looking forward to hearing how your new heads and T-trim are working for you. :thumb:

Keep us informed!

Roger

·
Registered
117 Posts
As you know, I am very interested in this Set up. I have only shredded one belt, but I don't want to lose anymore. I am interested to see your Heads and T Trim results. Are you still stock bottom end? I am curious, because I am thinking of running the same set up.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
RocketSled said:
The car tends to drop belts when the TC cuts in at WOT. Typically, if I've got it wide open, high RPM, and I hit an irregularity in the road (like a bridge expansion joint).

I've had my Vortech on for about 18 months. No shredded belts, 2 trips to the drag strip and WOT every time I drive the car (I have a ~ 2 mile, flat, straight, 4 lane divided highway near my house :D ).

If your study :) is correct, then I know why I don't have problems - I never use the TC. The first thing I do when I start the car is put it in comp mode. I will occasionally bounce the limiter, but I don't ride it and it's usually just a quick blip against it. I think my shift light helps that a little.

·
Registered
359 Posts
During the last few months, we've spent a considerable amount of time/capital, engineering-developing this new product for use with all C5 Vortech Supercharger Systems regardless of the year of the car. It's designed to be a *FINAL* resolution to the inherent negative issue with most C5 Vortech S/C systems of them throwing-shredding the belt off during high engine RPM/load conditions. We've been heavily testing this upgrade on Z06 Tom's car for the last few days and we are 100% pleased with the results thus far.

Z06Tom has been awesome to work with and very patient as we perfect this new system using his car as the Alpha M6 prototype. We already have another 2004 C5 w/ a DTE 383 Votech T-trim S/C package we're building that we're using as the Beta A4 prototype as well to cover the automatic crowd.

Oversimplified-
The kit will consist of 3 new brackets, a forcing screw anchor, new HD tensioner, auxilary manual tensioner, alternator pulley, lower crank idler pulley, upper manual idler pulley, jackshaft pulley, various bushings, LS2 water pump, HD belt, detailed instructions and misc. hardware. It's quite inclusive, very complete and engineered to solve this belt jumping issue once and for all.

Best Regards,
Phil- DTE

·
Registered
359 Posts
We're not certain of the kit's final cost just yet, since production has not started. Once the 2 prototypes are completed, installed and tested, (which is right around the corner) we'll release them to the public with at a fair cost. :)

Best Regards,
Phil- DTE

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Dynotech Eng. said:
Once the 2 prototypes are completed, installed and tested, (which is right around the corner) we'll release them to the public with at a fair cost. :)

Best Regards,
Phil- DTE
Not to worry big guy, I'll test it for you on the way back to Columbus when I pick it up! You didn't dub me "Rev Limiter Tom" for nothing!! :p

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This Just In...

Date Line Ft. Wayne Ind. 3:35pm EST:

The Z has been strapped to the dyno for the first time since the latest round of mods... Temp. in the cell A 90* +. Drivability tuning complete, but nothing else done. Car started running out of fuel @ 6,400rpm so they shut her down there. She made 668rwhp and 544rwtq!!! It made 404rwtq @ 3K!!! Phil said it's smooth as butter. He's figuring it'll be around 675/550 + when the tune is complete.

ForceFedZ06 said:
Are you still stock bottom end?
Yep FFZ, stock internals.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Well, we made it to 674 RWHP/554 RWTQ in the 96* heat and the engine is just singing along merrily. :) ZERO det, spot-on fueling, smooth curve to 6800, 400+ RWTQ @ 2900 RPM, silly power everywhere.......

*Correction- 400+ RWTQ @ 2487 RPM.... :cool:

BTW- We're not responsible for speeding tickets on your way home... :eek:o:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had problems with the belt jumping over one notch and shredding. I found ASP makes a pulley with an enlarged shoulder so it can't skip. They make them any size you want. Solved the problem for less than $100 and now the Vortech is spinning at maaximum rpm with no skip or slip.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I just installed my sq trim and don't think I'm going to have a problem with my belt. The guy I bought it from is a shop foreman at a local dealership. He had it all dialed in on his z......Main PROBLEM seemed to be that the alternator bracket wasn't spaced far FORWARD enough.....so I installed an additional WASHER between the spacer that comes with the kit and the alternator bracket....3 WASHERS TOTAL. He said he was always destroying belts until he did this and then everything lined up just right. Might think about giving this one a try....

·
Registered
359 Posts
We've been down those roads two years ago and the fix will be of limited success at best; hence the reason we've engineered this kit as a "whole-listic" approach to correcting the Vortech belt issues once and for all..

·
Registered
359 Posts
We haven't established pricing yet, as the first two prototype kits are still in use as testing subjects with success thus far. We'll get there... :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Dynotech Eng. said:
We've been down those roads two years ago and the fix will be of limited success at best; hence the reason we've engineered this kit as a "whole-listic" approach to correcting the Vortech belt issues once and for all..

This sounds great!!!!!

Will you guys be offering a kit for the C6??

:usa:

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Here's the set up...

Dynotech is marketing the system now. My belt looks like new, and I drive the #^$* out of it...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts