Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i think im gonna get a supercharger sometime over the next year. i like the looks of the maggie but dont like the fact you have to get a new hood. i like the vortech over the ati, it looks freakin awesome under the hood.

how hard is this thing to install? i have some buddies at work, but they are all mustang nuts. :screwy:

one guy bolted up a vortech on his early 90's mustang and it freakin hauls.

should i be ok to attempt the install myself with the help of some pretty good mechanics i know? from the prices i have been seeing it looks like installation and tuning will be another 2-3k, which i dont see the point of spending since the car is stock now. it comes with its own programmer right?

are the instructions with it pretty straightforward? i read that you have to drill the oil pan, is that as scary as it sounds?

just lookin for some info the vortech. thanks, dustin

·
Premium Member
2,314 Posts
I've spent the last 4 weeks researching SC's as well and I'm close to making a decision.
My mandate is to return the Z to original condition if and when I sell it. For this reason I decided against the Vortech for reason you’ve already stated. The Mag unit is the simplest set up but I have yet to see a high rise hood I like. It’s hard to tell by just pictures but I am going to see MCM’s Mag hood because the construction and detail is excellent.
I visited with John Carvaggio yesterday who told me to contact Andy at A & A. I just sent him an e-mail today. Apparently Andy has enhanced the ATI procharger and his set up is they way to go according to John and a few other people I’ve spoken to. It’s a bit more labor intensive to install vs the Mag but we’ll see what Andy says.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
The tune is the thing. Ok to DIY on install, but go to a good tuner for the final parameters of the tune. It can be the difference between life and death to your motor.
If you elect to have a local guy do the work (install and tune), I think 1750-2000 is more like it. JMHO. Good luck with your setup. You're just gonna luv driving a blown Z, waaaaay tooo much fun. :D

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
but doesnt the vortech come with a tuner? i dont have any other mods like headers or anything, and i want it to be conservative, so i was thinking the tune it comes with would be ok?

is this rational thinking, or unrealistic?

i dont know of any shops within 150 miles where i can actually get a tune.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
If your intention is to put your Z back to stock at some point, I'd stay away from the Vortech. You have to relocate the alternator to the passenger side of the motor to make room for the head unit. The power steering reservoir gets relocated also. The one thing I liked about the Vortech over the ATI was the air to water aftercooler. You get this also with the IC Mag, but as you said, you have to change the hood. That being said, the MCM high rise hood is very sharp. I have the standard version on my Z and love it.

HERE'S a link to an old thread that detailed my install. Good luck with your decision, you're gonna love it whichever route you take!! :coo:

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
I installed my Vortech by myself. It wasn't hard, just a bit time consuming. I have some pics on my website. The crank pinning and oil pan tap aren't too difficult, just a bit intimidating.

As for returning to stock, you could easily plug the hole in the pan and undo the install, but it would take a couple of replacement hoses.

If I sell my car, I plan to leave the mods on it :)

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
IMO, if you go to the trouble and expense of an SC and skimp on the tune, you're asking for a blown motor. I wouldn't run the car hard until I strapped it to a dyno/wideband and got a custom tune on it.

You just spent $6000 on a blower and now you're going to balk about $500 for a tune or 150 miles to get to a competent shop? I drove my Z06 4hrs for a tune and it was worth it. :)

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
WayneE said:
As for returning to stock, you could easily plug the hole in the pan and undo the install, but it would take a couple of replacement hoses.
I just figured if I needed to remove the Vortech, I could remove the hose and screw a cap on to the end of the fitting.

I did save all my parts, as I'm sure you did. But I really can't imagine ever taking the Vortech off the car (the thought is a little intimidating, to be honest). The damn thing works great. As reliable now as before. And if I ever sell the car, what "serious" buyer wouldn't want a 500RWHP car that gets 28MPG on a long cruise?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Def. spend the 400$ for a good tune. Not only will you be sure your on the safe side a/f wise, but you will be able to squeeze a few more ponies out of your FI application. And plus Im sure the few hour drive on the way back won't be boring at all. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts