Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nick finally decided to try the Vortex after we offered to them at Route66. I guess the Ram air system really works. It seems to have knocked 2 to 3 tenths and increased MPH by at least 4.

Now we can say that the Vortex Ram Induction System has played its part as holding the World Record for the Fastest C5.

Vortex Ram Air is always the key to more power..

ARE is also one of our Dealers for all our products.

Nick, Barry and Wade Congrats,

Thank You
Ernie
BreathlessPerformance.com

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Ernie, I will second Frank's sentiments re the Vortex system you installed on my EB at Carlisle. It is a quality cold air system which I feel I can use in a variety of weather conditions without ingestion concerns - as long as I stay outta lakes.! The price/performance works for me. So far, I have not seen any data or had any personal issues which have caused me to question the decision I made as a result of a fair amount of up-front research. I can tell you that a number of tuners I have talked to in addition to ARE, are receptive to your system...

:D

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
Mr Breathless:

I have an '02 Z and am considering switching from the Donaldson I now have. There have been claims that the DBW LOSES hp becuase it flows toooooooo much air to the engine....What are your comments on this regarding your system?

Any help/comments are greatly appreciated..Thanks!

Zippy :z: :z: :cheers:

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Breathless said:
Nick finally decided to try the Vortex after we offered to them at Route66. I guess the Ram air system really works. It seems to have knocked 2 to 3 tenths and increased MPH by at least 4.

Now we can say that the Vortex Ram Induction System has played its part as holding the World Record for the Fastest C5.

Vortex Ram Air is always the key to more power..

ARE is also one of our Dealers for all our products.

Nick, Barry and Wade Congrats,

Thank You
Ernie
:cheers:

RG

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
So, who has the fastest car, and what is it running? The two fastest times I had heard up to this point were SW @ a 9.93/147 and a Lingenfelter 427 TT which went 9.63/unknown. I was just curious who was top dawg now.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ARE has it at 9.42

We have not had any problems with the 02s to this date. The only changes done to ARE was the air box. The Trans slip was after that. He had a 9.53 with just the Airbox change.

Thank You
Ernie

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Let's even this field

I want to hold you , and your claims to the same fire we do Halltech.............

What /Where are the dyno runs showing before and after..................

On the '01 Z's, and the '02's??........Do you have any?

Baseline, before and after............please post them.

Lesseee em':D :D :D :D

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Mr. Ernie,

Wow, what a claim. I think I would step back and take a good look at what your saying. Don't get me wrong and a lot of times I am, but as you know, on any given day and on any given track 2 to 3 10ths and a couple MPH can change very fast.

Just this past weekend, Friday night Great air, lower than normal ET'S and Speeds. Very next day Not so good of air, and 2 to 4 10ths slower and a couple MPH slower.

I'm not trying to put you down or anything and I'm sure from all the post I see you do a great job and are highly liked. I just don't think I can go along with your statement.

Let me say in the end, I thought about this all day, it's just my .02 worth that's all.

Best to you,
Ernie King
C5R X3172
NCM 7290

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have to stand my ground. This is a consistent decrease in times and increase in MPH. Ram air systems have always proved them selves to be the most powerful systems. This is not the first time the Vortex has helped the 1/4 time. We attend most vette racing functions and do it on the spot. We as a company have always been sticking our heads out just to prove our point and what better place to do it but at Drag race events.

Thank You
Ernie

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
But where / what

I have been wanting to buy an air induction system since June. I am afraid of the twin-flow, even though I had one on my '99 hardtop and loved it. I have read about turbulance caused at the 'Y' of the twin flow. Then there is a sea of other choices. I went to the Breathless site, very confusing.

Frank, exactly which products do you have? I've found the 'power duct', but what is the 'Rammer'?
What is the 'Vortex'? Are you talking about the filter is a plastic box? How does this unit get air?

The Donaldson is another choice, and Halltech.

Can we get some pictures posted of these units installed in member cars? Frank, Zippy, please?

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Frank

Since the mfgr's seem to avoid the dyno issue, ( most of em'), did you dyno yours stock, a before and after scenario??...

My dyno tuner said the Vortex is good for 10 HP max.........

What claims can/do you believe??....the guy's that install and run the back to back dynos"s, or the mfgr, who won't give any specifics............

As a friend once said....."Dyno's don't lie".

Let's see the facts................:roll:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Sorry for the newbie question but can anyone tell me who/what ARE is and where I can find more info? I thought MTI had the fastest Z06 at 9.9 sec but I guess I am wrong. More info please! :D

Tommy

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong guys, but dyno runs on a ram air equipped vehicle are meaningless. The car needs to be moving to get the ram air. The track, at speed is the only place to prove these systems.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
VTH

It doesn't matter then either........in order for a Ram Air effect to really be of use, you would have to be traveling at speeds well past the top ends of Z's........

The REAL benefit, is drawing COOLER air into the intake.........the intake ( NO matter who's) will only ingest as much as the auto is requiring at one given moment in time..............

The second thing, is the CFM's YOUR particular set up ALLOWS to be ingested.............i.e.........your Z, is taking in say, 600 cfm's @ WOT.......and your filter only ALLOWS 500........then you are a 100 cfm OFF the NEED of your auto @ WOT..........

On the dyno.....any of them, you only get the engines max output under a no load (partial load) scenario.........you do not have DRAG involved........which is a TON of HP robbing force.........

But, you at least get the baseline for your car..................and you have to have that.......esp if you are modding.
:)

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
I have to disagree with your second paragraph. The whole idea behind ram air or any forced air system including turbo's is to increase the density of the incoming air regardless of the temperature of that air. Colder air is nice, but not required to have increased density. If you can successfully make the air denser, ALL of it will be used by the engine provided you have the optimum mixture to capitalize on it.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
VTH

No arguments here........that is the principle.........but, it doesn't work on "Conventional", intake systems we are discissing here..........IMHO....your engine cannot USE any more air than it is able to ingest......cooler air, does indeed make for DENSER air, and it does help( just the ram air effect doesn't sell with me)..........again, just my OWN ignorant humble opinion.......:D

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
LOVE MY RAMMER

Ernie,

I love my Vortex Rammer and Power Duct. Not only does it look awesome and gets me lotsa compliments, but it WORKS. This was my first engine mod and I could feel the difference in that most important area....the seat of my pants.

When I did my research on this subject I saw Dyno results that showed the Halltech Tric vs. The Vortex Rammer. The Tric produced 1 more HP, but 3 Lbs less torque. The Rammer was about 1/2 the price and to me, it looks better :)

Z06LS6, again, from my research, your right, COLD AIR(being denser) is the big factor. There is a Ram effect at higher speeds, but its not that great for the reasons you mentioned in your posts.

IMHO, the Vortex Rammer gives you the most Cluck for for your Buck.

Hydrolock is an issue, but I never drive my car in the rain. I know it's a serious problem if it happens, but just how likely is it?

Has anyone had HYDROLOCK?

Better question: Does anyone have the Tric or Rammer and drive in the rain W/O any problems?

:cheers:
Barrie

1 - 20 of 22 Posts