Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at the Mallett, Lingenfelder and Agostino web sites talking big horsepower for the Corvette. 725 hp out of twin turbo 427.

Soon we will see the dialog about how will the 2002 owners feel about the increased Hp for the 2003. I'm prone to deal with the 20 hp increase by adding 200 to 300 horsepower to my 2002. Does anyone know if any of these systems legal in California?

Z06Y Lady, seeking speed.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Hi there,
If you chose, all aftermarket modifications, if legal in California, will have a CARB E.O. number.
This means that the California air research board has noted that the particular modification will not adversely affect emissions for your vehicle.
E.O. means an exemption order number.
You can look for this number on all mods, to confirm, as they must have a CARB number, or the part is labeled for 'off road use only'.
Besttoyou, c4c5:eek2:

·
Registered
0 Posts
Janet, are you from Pasadena?? (old song) :lol:

I believe all the major tuners build 50 state legal monster motors. Good luck!!

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
It all depends on if you want it to be or not!!! All Tuners will have a package to suit your hp and smog needs...:cheers: :cheers:

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why Can't You be True?

fcalmes said:
Janet, are you from Pasadena?? (old song) :lol:

I believe all the major tuners build 50 state legal monster motors. Good luck!!
Frank, except for the Cadillac I'm a lot more like Mabelline than the LOL from Pasadena. Or perhaps "my pop said girl you're gonna drive me to drinkin if you don't quit driving that hot rod Lincoln" And we'll have fun, fun, fun 'til her daddy takes the Corvette away. First gear....Second gear...... Z06Y Lady, driving down musical memory lane. LOL

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Combat 20 HP by adding two or 300 more !! :eek:

Spoken like a woman after my own heart.

Pat :guiness:

·
Registered
425 Posts
The 427 motor that's available, is identical on the outside to our LS6 and will pass visual inspecions anywhere in CA.:cheers:

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
49 State Legal?

sdz06 said:
checkout this link:

http://www.dougrippie.com/

:cheers:
This site talks of LS1 engines that are 49 state, and maybe 50 state legal. Show me the CARB EO number. Then I'll know it is California legal. Rippies engines seem to make substantially less horsepower than Lingenfelter or Mallett. Z06y Lady

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Lady,

"my fuel injected Z06 and a 413. Revvin up our engines and it sounds real mean, now. Gotta be cool now powershift here we go........." (Jan & Dean)

I got carried away. Glory days. Sorry.

:guiness: :guiness: :D :D

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
In comparing the 427 N.A. engines:

Doug Rippie: 565 HP & 555 TQ - $26,995.00

Lingenfelter: 500 HP & 530 TQ - $26,500.00

Couldn't find any specs on the Mallett 427 N.A. engine.

I think for the cash expenditure I would have to consider a good Nitrous system unless I was going to have my foot in it all the time.

Pat :)

·
Registered
878 Posts
You should talk to Lawton at Top Flight Corvette in San Diego. He's very familiar with CA emmission requirement.

He could set up a Supercharger + NOS with fuel management system for under $10K and will put out more HP than any of the $20K+ engines. :eek:

NOS runs until Supercharger is up to req'd boost, then NOS cuts out. I think he's got this set up on a late model F-body and a Viper as well. I think the Viper was dyno'd at 800+ HP with 800+ TQ, not exactly sure, but it is sick (in a good sense). :lol: :eek:

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
I believe Doug Rippie uses "Net" HP(i.e. "Crank" HP) ratings, while Lingenfelter uses RWHP.

565 Net or Crank HP X 85% = 480 RWHP.

Lingenfelter is The King of LS1/LS6 Horsepower.

That being said, I really like the people at Doug Rippie and have bought parts from them. Haven't had a need for Lingenfelter or Mallet YET.....

You really can't go wrong with any of them. Lingenfelter tends to be very expensive......

Also, Roger Vinci at Vinci High Performance has a very good reputation as does MTI in Texas.

No quality tuners in Kalifornia :(

My 2 cents :)

:cheers:
Barrie

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I give up

01ZEE06 said:
Just click links on the left side of this page!!

All 3 Tuner's links are there ;)

Barrie
Lingenfelter, Mallett, Agostino? Not on the left side of my page. I see Breathless, Halltech and Xtreme. What am I missing?

Z96Y Lady :-?

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Adios 725 hp

Got a Lingenfelter catalog and spoke to them on the phone today. They do not manufacture a single C-5, LS1 or LS6 engine that is street legal in California. :cry: :flaming: :mad:

California Air Resources Board has made it prohibitively expensive to certify an engine for sale here. Lingenfelter gave me a bit of strange logic on the phone today. They said it will cost $1600 each way to ship a car back and forth from Decatur, Indiana so they didn't expect much California business.

So let me look at the math. $55000 to buy the car. $50000 for the engine package. Oh no! I couldn't do it there because it costs $3200 transportation. $3200/$105000 = 3%. I don't get the logic.

Z06Y Lady, powerless to get empowered, :eek:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts