Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While having my Z06 Wheels polished Raymond (WIZ357) was nice enough to loan me his stock wheels (he's got HRE's) :D :D

I put them on my Z on Saturday the 12th and drop off my wheels at the polishing shop. Since I was heading out of town for a week I made arrangements with CITY CHEVROLET in San Diego to paint the rocker panel (under warranty) that was damaged from the transport truck. I dropped the car off on Monday the 14th, first thing.

They logged the mileage and inspected the car for any other damage. I signed a form saying car is in pristine condition, ask them not to drive it off the lot, they note that on my ticket and I'm off...

When I return to pick up car I ask them to put it on a lift and they give me attitude, not the service underwriter, but the service manager. The underwriter "Mike" is a nice guy. The Service manager "Jack" seems to be an unhappy fellow.

They show me the work they performed, I'm satisfied and on my way. I went directly home and parked in my garage. I jump in my truck and go pick up my polished wheels (they looked sweet).

On Saturday morning I jump up bright and early to put on my new wheels, frame saver rails, CAGS defeat and to lower it.

I make some killer ramps out of 2" x 6" and get the front end up enough to easily jack her up. Get her off the ground and up on all 4 jack stands and we're ready to go.

I pull off the back wheels and set them aside to clean so I can return them to Ray. As I begin to pull off the front wheels, I notice that the right one has a 2" gouge in the outer most part of the rim. I freak out and check the other side... it scratch. SHIT... I realized at that moment that it looks like the dealer caught these two front wheels on a lift arm that was in to close for the front wheels to pass thru and pushed the arm over with the front tires as they scratched the wheels. No tire abrasion, even the little rubber nipples were still on the tire at the point of impact. I get on the phone and call the dealership. Jack is not in and I leave a message.

I continue to remove tires and put on my wheels so they can't say I drove on them and caused it myself. They return my call the next day and ask me to bring the tires down. After work I put them in the truck and drive them down there.

Jack walks up to the truck, looks at the wheels for 2 seconds and says, "you curbed these" that's not our fault. I freaked. When did I curb BOTH sides of my car in the same exact spot :-?

We conversed:
I picked up the car, drove it 4 miles and parked it in my garage. No tire abrasion. I explained how it looked like it was from a lift bay and he grabbed a tire and put it next to a lift bay arm and you could easily see the it matched the height perfectly.

He said, see it couldn't have been us. I pointed out that the scratch was the same EXACT height as the lift pads. He said this is the bay where it was parked and we didn't do it. They took no responsibility what so ever. I said are we looking at the same thing. Look right here.. I pointed to the impact site and the height of the arm... He would not acknowledge this fact? How is that possible I'm thinking?

Then Jack (Manager) has the nerve to tell me I'm too picky of a customer and he'd rather not work on my car. He said he's never had a customer request the car be racked when it's picked up.

I said, that makes me feel like bring you the car again.. guess I'll find another dealer. Then he backpedaled and said, "it's not like we won't service your car, but we'd rather not". At this point I'm totally at a loss for words. A Chevy dealer manager is telling me they'd rather not work on my car. He then gave me the name of a place that fixes wheels, and I left pissed.

Needless to say, I've already contacted my attorney and we'll see what happens. If anyone knows of a good shop that does GM warranty work in San Diego, please post. For anyone else that has his or her Vette serviced.... You've been warned - Check the car over with a fine tooth comb before you leave the lot. Take 10, 15, even 30 minutes to look at absolutely everything.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Check your car over well is good advice. My 02 Z06 quit running 100 miles from home 1 1/2 weeks ago. 1600 miles. Called Roadside assistance for a tow to dealer. Took 4 1/2 hours to pick up car. Said they could not find a wrecker in Orlando FL!!! Anyway it took 3 days to fix car. Replaced PCM. Dealer put 70 miles on car. Got it back with black greasy foot prints on red mat, scuff marks on door sill and sill trim pc., so much tire dressing on tires that whale car was covered with it when I got home. When I opened hood the cover around battery was just set in place rather than being reinstalled properly. Hard to believe how little respect they have for others property.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Wow -- thats wild. If you would have found alumimum shavings on the ramps and had it matched to the wheel they still would defend no wrong.

They have the "OJ is innocent" attitude :D -- sorry to hear it.

Its incidents like this that make me very nervous having anyone work on my car. I woudn't even trust them to change the damn oil!

And the dealers wonder why some people are "picky" ... all it takes is a thought like this to realize the dealers don't give a rip about your Vette, and its very likely some type of damage will occur to it.

I had a simple trim piece replaced under warranty, and in the process of the work, they managed to crack another plastic trim piece (which I didn't notice unlit 2 days later, and glued it to fix it myself) and put a small paint chip on the top curve of the door, which I just touched up myself. I figured it was alot easier for me to fix them then deal with the dealers BS -- but it still pissed me off to no end :mad:.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
That's a really shitty thing to have happened....and EXACTLY why a GM dealership will NEVER touch my car....EVER.....fuck them, that's all they do - screw the car up - hire shitty mechanics to work on cars, if it's gonna get fucked up on my car - you can be damn sure that *I'm* the one who is gonna fuck it up.

Unfortunately you may not have much legal recourse, you have to prove they did it, I don't think you have that proof....but the lesson learned is to never let the dealership work on the car....EVER. :mad:

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
thx2

Sorry dudeski...............man this will set you're chickens completely loose.

TAMU, the effervescent one...........Now, would you please tell us how you REALLY feel??????:roll:

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Holy crap I have never heard of a service manager doing that before.. Normally they kiss your ass. He had a piss poor atitude and I would contact the owner of that chevrolet Dealer!! I would also contact chevrolet and let them know about the situation. Maybe they could force the dealer to make things right. Or you could buy a new car from them and fill out the survey piss poor like there service:sneaky: :sneaky: :sneaky: :sneaky:

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
That totally sucks! I had them take apart my trunk lid to find something loose in the back. They fixed the problem but left some light scratches in the paint. Nobody is as careful with our cars as we are.

Good luck, I hope it works out for you. :)

- Charley

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Good advice to contact the owner.

I have several horror stories but would take to long to tell. All ended with the owner straightening them out.

A shorty: I bought a new 1987 vert. off the showroom floor. The car pulled to the right when you let go of the wheel. I took it back and the service manager had me take it over to Goodyear. I watched them scratch up the mags and destroy the front spoiler. This went lasted all day. the they told me to take it back to the dealership as they found nothing.

Then I went back to the dealer the following day and the service manager kept the car all day. Nothing found he said the car was fine. While driving home the car pulled again to the right.

I called the service manager again and he played stupid and said he would call back. He lied. He never called back.

I finally called the owner and told him the car was brand new
and right off the showroom floor. He had the General Manger call me back and I returned the car the next day to have them replace all the tires and mags from another showroom car. Problem solved.

Contact the owner if you bought the car there and tell him what's happening. Be cool because it's his turf. They have insurance to cover screw ups and screwed up mechanics.

Good Luck. :guiness:

·
Registered
238 Posts
Send a letter to GM and tell then what as ass the manager was and how you'll never but a GM product again (ok, lie). Also, I'm sure the owner of the dealship would love to know that the manager wants to not have customers come back for service. I've done this in the past and it does work.

My daily is a Benz. My love is my Vette. I will say that the Benz dealers kiss your butt more...and then charge you up the whazoo. When you pull into the service line, the conceriege greets you and tries to make you feel special. Then you pick up the car and find grease prints on the wheel and healiner, and greasy footprints on the rugs. All the dealers basically suck. Unfortunately, I think the Chevy dealers are worse.

I have an awful rattle in the passenger door, but I'so not looking forward to getting the dealer to fix it (warranty reasons) that I will probably go to the my Vette shop and pay just to make sure the work is done neatly.

It really does suck to have such a great car come with such crappy dealers.

·
Registered
176 Posts
ZeeOhSix said:
Wow -- thats wild. If you would have found alumimum shavings on the ramps and had it matched to the wheel they still would defend no wrong.

They have the "OJ is innocent" attitude
" If the wheels and ramps are scraped, you musta been raped "
You need Johnny Cochran on this case!

great advice on inspecting our cars before and after service with a fine tooth comb. Wonder what JD Powers would think if they learned of your experience.....:-?

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
FastGlass said:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
631 Posts
By the way - always check your rocker panels after an oil change at the dealer - they are known to damage those on the lifts also.

Lot damage is a wide berth of a topic here !

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
"Its incidents like this that make me very nervous having anyone work on my car. I woudn't even trust them to change the damn oil! "

Hey since your in WA, bring it to my shop, we'll be happy to change the oil!

Oil Can Henry's, Sammamish

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
FastGlass said:

Ah yes, but..."If the rack don't fit...You MUST aquit!"
:D

Sorry to hear about your wheels man, that really sucks. I was a Parts and Service director for a dealership a few years back, and it is hard when a customer comes back after leaving with a damage claim. But it sounds like this guy is a real A-Wad, and wouldn't know good customer service if it ran over him, and to think he treats a Z06 owner this way. Imagine how the poor bastard in a Cavalier gets treated by this guy. Probably a little penus envy in there too!:D

Good luck, sue his ass!

:cheers: :cheers:

·
Registered
340 Posts
Wait one thing I don't understand, whose wheels were damaged? Your wheels or Raymonds wheels, or were they Raymond's HRE wheels?

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Vetteless said:
Wait one thing I don't understand, whose wheels were damaged? Your wheels or Raymonds wheels, or were they Raymond's HRE wheels?
Unfortunately they were Raymonds stock wheels, which I have to return... I spoke to my attorney yesterday.. they are writing the dealership a demand letter.. If that doesn't work, it's off to court I go...

·
Registered
291 Posts
If your sales person is truly customer service oriented, you might get him/ her involved in the servicing of your Z. They understand that if your not happy you won't be back to buy your next Z from them. Just a thought;)

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I purchased out of State.. I'm in California where the dealers either don't have allocation or if they get one think it's perfectly fine to ask $3K - $5K over and wait months to get it.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I had a similar experience with a local Chevy service department and I couldn't believe what an ass the service manager was being.:mad: After trying to sort things out with them I got sick of the run around and finally mailed them a 93A letter (unfair and deceptive acts and practices consumer protection statute). Never heard from them again, but I got a check in the mail 3 weeks later. :D That was the biggest F*** YOU I could have given to that D**K HEAD service manager and it fealt great!!!!

Check you local consumer protection statutes and see what protections are afforded. You should be able to find them online.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts