Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
posted 04-14-2001 10:34 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A 2000 Black Viper GTS sold at MSRP. NO MARKUP and they offered me $46,000 for my MIL Yellow Z06 with 6300 miles.
How does this sound to you guys??

Thanks

Jim

·
Registered
0 Posts
I wouldn't trade my Z06 even up for one of those Clown Shoes!! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif

With the stock market it the crapper, I wonder how much they would have discounted the Viper without a trade in?? That would tell you what kind of deal you are really getting. Daimler-Chrysler isn't exactly in good shape right now. Look for huge discounts on all cars from all makers in the months to come. Its a cyclical thing!!

·
Registered
680 Posts
Clown Shoe.... /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif I love it !! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

·
Registered
345 Posts
Bad trade. I looked at that same model and passed. One dimensional vehicle..... the Viper.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
As I recall you are the guy who hassled GM unmercifully because of a few squeaks and rattles in your former Vette and engineered a by back (I used to own a car dealership and we had a few customers like this guy). Then you bought a Z06 with the proceeds, right? Now a few months later you want to trade for a used Viper. I think you need to figure out what it is you really want before you do anything.

I bought a 1996 Viper GTS new and sold it last fall after owning it for 5 years. Given your history, you definitely won't be satisifed with this car. It squeaks and rattles. It is all about performance, and not about nicieties.

If you think you are getting $46,000 for your used Z06, you are also extremely naive. A dealer would want to make a profit of about $3,000 - $4,000 on a used car in that price range. A used Z06 would probably sell for about $44,000 in this market (assuming fairly low mileage) so you are probably getting $40 to $41 thousand for your car (dealers like to use MSRP as the price of the new when negotiating a trade, because it appears to give an inflated value to the traded in vehicle). He is going to make a nice profit on both cars, at your expense.

I also agree with Frank regarding the looks of the Viper, in retrospect. It got much more attention than I ever wanted. It has an awkward seating position. Except for slightly better raw performance, than the Z06, my 1996 Viper was somewhat inferior to the Z06.

I sold my Viper with 32,000 miles to a guy from New Orleans and bought a new 2001 Z06 with the proceeds, with no cash outlay on my part. In my opinion, I got the best of the deal. You seemed to be a confused soul. What is it that you are trying to accomplish with all of thes car deals, in such a short time span. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_confused.gif

My homepage

·
Registered
155 Posts
Good points, all! Hey Frank, looks like there is a bright side to the market crash after all - we can get more "cheap" toys! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

JLA, keep in mind that the 2001 Viper is the first to have ABS(something that beast could really use), so the 2000 models aren't exactly that hot now!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Viper is NEW and not used.

I was just out and about yesterday and decided to take one for a drive. I was curious on what type of deal they would cut me if I were to consider.

Big differences after driving back to back I noticed.

Viper is much louder inside and out.
Cabin space in viper both for personal and storage space is MUCH more cramped than the Vette

Pedals set far to left in Viper and only adjustable in and out.

Clutch is VERY stiff in Viper. Similar to a Ryder Truck clutch. HAHAHA

Viper seems to pull harder than Z06.

Viper feels COMPLETELY different driving than Z06. It takes much more effort to drive than the Z06. The Z06 is a much more comfortable car.

Jim.

·
Registered
58 Posts
2000 viper should be significantly discounted.2001s have ABS and according to a dealer new 2000s are hard to get rid of. This is not a great deal. Dealer should get 46K out of yours given MY. He has already shopped your car and knows this.

Bob

·
Registered
10 Posts
Keep your car dude, and if not, Ill give ya $46,000 for it, and then you can haggle him down more without a trade in!!!! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

1 - 11 of 11 Posts