Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I post this here because I'm trying to sell something just like the rest of you here and I'd feel bad if I didn't say something and someone got scammed - sellers beware!!

Had a gentlemen representing himself as an agent for a "high ranking official" for NATO in Canada offer to purchase my ZO6 yesterday. He wanted to purchase the car quickly before his "client" went back to Brussels. He tried to use a variation of the Nigerian Scam on me, where he would send me a cashier's check for more than the amount of the car and I was to reimburse him the difference back. What normally occurs is that a fraudulent cashiers check that looks very official arrives. You refund the difference back to him while his check bounces. Sometimes you get hung for the entire amount and the car.

A few months ago a family friend actually agreed to a similar deal but before giving up possession of his car checked out the cashiers check at his local bank. The bank thought the check was legit but he got nervous and postponed the transfer of possession until the time the check was actually funded. The so-called buyer disappeared and was never again heard from.

On a whole separate issue yesterday I got hit by an e-mail that in every detail appeared to be from e-bay, asking for money I owed in fees. I was to pay by credit card, and they wanted the card info. Of course I verified with e-bay that it was indeed fradulent and turned the info over to them.

Take care my Vette brothers - there are folks out there who are out there to scam you!!

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
:ity: There is always a new twist to the same old Game

·
Registered
42 Posts
I always get those kind of emails for my listings...Its like a blanket email to for sale listings, looking for a hit to cash in on. People like that need to be hunted :mad:

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Its now easy to detect a scammer, I even had someone call as a hearing impared through the operator...

a few years back I was selling my Shifter Kart and got a check and then to send back the money to supposly the shipper, well I checked with the bank first and they insisted it was a good check, but I insisted it wasnt, well you were both right, it was good check from a ligit bank, but it was made fraudently by someone inside the bank, so If I didnt wait for investagation I would be in some trouble...

BTW everyone worries that they lose the money and what they sold, but this is not the case, the scammer will never pick up the item because it will be an easy track down of them, they just try to get that supposly excess money and they disapear

1 - 4 of 4 Posts