Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
.....Ford's answer, into production in June 350 HP Supercharged Stang.

OOOOOOOH! I'm scared! .....Yeah Right!

·
Registered
144 Posts
You guys can start your comments now but I think I will take a wait & see attitude. Ford (with Carrol Shelby's help) stepped up to the plate a couple of times before with GT40s and Cobra AC and I belive they can do it again. The Terminator is just an interim Cobra for a year or two at the most. I hear they have something even bigger in the process as well. Don't get me wrong...I love my Z06 but I do have an open mind (there can always be something faster!).

Excuse me while I put my flame suit back on.

OKay...FIRE AWAY!

·
Z06 Power Adder Authority
3,265 Posts
I'm not going to flame you. I hope they build the car and that it does well. They need to do something to up the power on the 4.6 engines.

However, I just love the look on the faces of some of these arrogant people who think "its just a Mustang" and then get absolutely, without a doubt, BLOWN into the weeds by 300' in a race. Obviously, the Terminator won't do this...but if you lack respect for the "enemy" you _will_ get toasted unless you live in an area with a bunch of slow cars. ;)

·
Registered
266 Posts
Don't forget, if Ford says 350 HP it is probably 310. Just gotta laugh at their mess.

If you can't design an engine correctly, put a blower on it.. Should do well with their "Glass" pistons..

Sorry Frank. :(

Been there, done that (with Ford)

:cool:

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I don't think 350 hp is going to do it this time against the Z06 but it will give a stock coupe or convertible a good run.

WA 2 FST - That mustang of yours is quite a bad boy.

- Charley

·
Registered
18,357 Posts
2k Cobra said:
Don't forget, if Ford says 350 HP it is probably 310. Just gotta laugh at their mess.

If you can't design an engine correctly, put a blower on it.. Should do well with their "Glass" pistons..

:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
What for??

I dunno..........the Rousch, and the Saleen's are ALREADY running 365 HP, and they still can't do any better stock than 13.0 flat..............
What is 350 going to do??.......nada................
Except with the GM void sell more of them......:-?

·
3,265 Posts
2k Cobra said:

I will certainly agree that Ford is missing the mark performance-wise with the new Mustang (Cobra or GT). I should say "powertrain-wise"...the car brakes and handles very well for a 3450lb vehicle. Bob Bonderant (sp) didn't buy a bunch of F-bodies to teach people how to road-race...he bought 4v 4.6 Cobras.

Anyway, I honestly believe if the Terminator is produced it will be closer to 400hp. Will this run with a Z06? Of course not. But, I don't see Ford putting a supercharger on a 320hp car (Cobras are rated at this and make ~285-290rwhp stock) and only getting another 30hp.

Is Ford trying to compete head-to-head with the Vette with the Mustang? Of course not.

I've read articles that they're going to install the blower on the 2v 4.6 and then, yes, it may only make 350. But if its on a 4v 4.6, it will be 400+.

And I doubt they'll use "glass" pistons for these motors. They put quality forged pistons in the Lightning engine. :)

Charley...thanks for the compliment. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Untill a few months ago, when i got my Z, I had a 99 cobra and was a frequent visitor of blueovalnews.com. There has been a lot of rumors and speculation about the 'terminator' (god i hate that name almost as much as "attack of the clones"). Ford officials have said VERY little about the whole thing.

I don't know where you came up with 350hp, but last I heard was closer to 400hp. At any rate, you won't have to wait long. Ford is showing the terminator at the Chicago Auto show on Feb. 6th. I'll be there.

GO BEARS
:cheers:

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
catphish

I heard the same #'s..........400, from a dealer.............
Problem here, if they ddo this, and do not get the rwtq in line with the HP rating, it really won't make a hill of beans.
They MIGHT then be able to run 13.0..............IF they don't get the TQ UP...............
I test drove one, Cobra, before the Z.....just for grins......the car is a winder................but, NO gut's...........that is TQ.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
New GT40

I just got the February Car and Driver with the new GT40 concept car on the cover. This is the car Ford needs to build if they want to run with the Vettes and Vipers. It has a 32-valve, supercharged and intercooled 5.4 liter V-8 with 500hp and 500lb-ft. of torque. Not to mention the fact that it looks mean as hell! Forget the Rustang, build that sucker!

·
Registered
638 Posts
That GT40 looks too retro. IMO The rear end looks like on of those Carmagia's.
Kit car like.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Hey '02,
Your right about the ass end. It looks like an old Opel or something. I do however like the rest of the car. It has a mean stance. I kind of like the old race car retro look. (But it still aint no Z :z: )

·
Registered
638 Posts
Tom,

I gotta say, the red one in the article is pretty nice. The ass end does no justice.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I also heard 400 hp and that it will be the 4.6 32V Cobra motor. 400 hp is easy then but still won't run with a Z06. Keep in mind that the stock Cobra motor is only 281 cubes and made over 300 hp with only 9.85 to one compression. I had a 97 Cobra before my Z and added a blower, cat back, and high flow catalytic pipe and made over 440 RWHP. That car ran low 12's either bogging out of the hole or blowing the tires. Those 245 could never get a 60 ft under 2.0 seconds. Here's the kicker.. it pulled 27+ mph difference between the 1/8th and 1/4 mile which gives an indication of potential if there is traction. I could only run 118 mph in the summer but traction was the biggest problem.

That car would show its' tailights to almost any Z on the highway as long as the Z couldn't run 123+ in the quarter. Bottom line... the Terminator is a cheaper car and not designed to run with the Z. Modifed Mustangs and Cameros can CRUSH Z06's as well just like a modified Z could kill a Viper or other exotics. We still have some 01 owners that only run 112 or 113 in the quarter too. Most high mph Z's were done during cold weather near winter. How many stock Z's ran over 118 mph in the summer?

BTW: the new Rousch's and Saleens are a joke in my opinion. They put a baby roots blower on the 2V motor for mid 300 to 400 hp range. A Mustang at 400 hp weighs too much to touch a Z. The old Saleen S-351R ran 120-122 mph STOCK. Too bad they don't make that anymore....

·
3,265 Posts
Re: catphish

ZO6LS6 said:
I heard the same #'s..........400, from a dealer.............
Problem here, if they ddo this, and do not get the rwtq in line with the HP rating, it really won't make a hill of beans.
They MIGHT then be able to run 13.0..............IF they don't get the TQ UP...............
I test drove one, Cobra, before the Z.....just for grins......the car is a winder................but, NO gut's...........that is TQ.
Just FYI,

Bone stock '01 Cobras (320hp) are running low-13s on radials.

At 80hp (and plenty of TQ with a roots-type Eaton blower) and you're looking at mid-12s, easy.

But, its still a 3450lb car sans driver, so it will not compare with regards to handling/braking/top speed.

·
3,265 Posts
GlenBo said:
I'll believe 350 when I see 350.

Ford
Overrates
Real
Dyno's

;)
Not on the Fords I own. ;)

Seriously...the new 320hp Cobra puts out 285+rwhp stock. I don't know if that's overrating or not. I know the LS1 F-bodies put out ~300 or so and are also rated at 320-330, right? So, yeah they may be a bit overrated compared to the LS1 counterpart...or GM just is underrating theirs a bit. Really doesn't matter, I guess. :)

The '99 Cobra was sad. It made less HP/TQ than the '96-98 models did.

Most '99-00 Lightnings sit at 325-330rwhp and they're rated at 365 flywheel hp.

If they put the positive displacement Eaton blower on the 4v Cobra motor it will make 350-360rwhp easily.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts