Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
21,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my Watkins Smart Camber gauge with hands free adapter. I'm going to start doing my own alignments. I still haven't figured out what method I want to use for the toe adjustment, strings or plates. :screwy:

I was wondering if anyone else is DIYing the alignment on your Z and are you happy with the results using this tool?

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Jub -

I use a longacre bubble gauge. And my dad built up a set of plates with lasers mounted on them, made it a lot easier to set the toe that way. Last time it took about 20mins.

·
21,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mgarfias said:
Jub -

I use a longacre bubble gauge. And my dad built up a set of plates with lasers mounted on them, made it a lot easier to set the toe that way. Last time it took about 20mins.
I've thought about using LASER pens mounted to plates and measuring the distance of the red dot on the wall, or something similar to this. Can you expound upon the LASER toe method a little more?

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have the SmartCamber tool. I tried to align it myself, and totally messed it up, taking out a set of tires in the process. If I had more time, and an alignment rack to service the car on, I might try it again. Fortunately I'm military, so I can use the base auto hobby shops.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I use a set of Longacre toe plates for checking toe, and a level, tape measure, and my mad trigonometry skillz for checking camber. :lol:

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I use a Longacre camber gauge for camber and caster, Longacre tow plates and tape measure for toe and mark one mod one eyeball and six foot level for thrust angle. :D

I strung my car all of once and decided that was way to hard, slow and didn't buy much in accuracy over the easy, fast way.

As an FYI, a level surface is critical. I bought a laser level system and leveled a spot in my garage with floor tiles from Home Depot, Lowes. I marked the spot and the number of tiles for each tire and periodically checked it last year. I never had to change the number of tiles after the first shot.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts