Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I thought you'd like to know what I went through with the dealer I bought my FRC from, and how now, five months later, I am finally getting it resolved.

When I bought the car, part of the deal, was for the dealer to replace the am/fm radio cassette player with a cd player. "No problem", they said. "Anything to make the deal". Nothing is ever a problem before you actually lay down the cash. They'll promise you everything. Well, needless to say, their attempt to install the cd player failed miserably. But they told me they would order the right one and gave me an "we owe you" paper.

As I drove the car out of the parking lot, I noticed a chip in the windshield that hadn't been there when I originally looked at the car. Again, no problem, they said. They would replace it with a factory AP windshield. No problem, no problem, and another "we owe you" paper.

Ok, so I wait two weeks and call the dealer. Sorry they say, we can't give you a factory windshield. It will have to be an aftermarket replacement. Needless to say, sh.. hit the fan. They said if I wanted I could bring the car back and get a refund. So I drove the car back to the dealership and the sales mgr greeted me, with a not too friendly face. Funny, how friendly he was the day I bought the car. Well, I guess they didn't think I was going to take them up on their bluff, and he readily admitted how a Corvette should never have an aftermarket part, how important it is to Corvette owners, la di da di da. So they ordered it. I told them I would install it myself, as I didn't want anyone touching the car. They loved that and readily ordered the windshield, which I now have in my possession.

Now back to the CD dilemma. After they checked prices for the factory CD, they readily backed out of that one. So now I figure its time to write a letter to the owner of the dealer, stating how I was promised the cd player, and how I really didn't want to take further action, but I would if I had to.

I get a call one day, from the NEW service mgr who claims he was told by the owner to give me a call and see what needed to be done to resolve the issue and make me happy. Simple, I said, an factory am/fm cd player is all I want. Ok, he said, let me get back to you. Two weeks, three weeks, finally he gets back and tells me the owner will split the difference. I just give them $750 and they'll pay the other half. I told them to order me the parts and I'll install the cd player myself and save you the labor. Their labor rate is $69 an hour retail ticket, not internal ticket, and I figured a day and a half to install it. So that would make up for the $750 that I would have to put up, and I wouldn't have to worry about them scratching the car, while taking the dash and dashboard carraige apart to replace the harness. "Well, let me check with the owner" he said, "and I'll get back to you." He called back a week later and said the owner agreed to just send me a check for $750. I just got the check today. In the interim I orderd a CD player from Bose.

Now I go to take the radio out and replace it with my long awaited CD player. Well, they never put the screws back in when they messed with the first cd player, and they put the radio up against the vacuum lines for the air conditioning and heater control panel, and cut through the vacuum lines. On top of that, I had to order a new dash from GM under warranty, because the dash never looked right. It had bubbles near the defroster vent. So now I have my new dash, new windshield and new cd player, and new vacuum lines from GM. I'm now ready to roll, right?

Now I am supposed to be retired. What a crock. I have been in this car for three weeks, removing the dash, carraige for the airbags, replacing vacuum line harness, removing moldings for windhshield replacement, and making a new harness for the CD player. And, when I was taking the weather stripping moldings around the glass off, guess what? Made in Japan. But its not like your Subaru rubbers, its that synthetic garbage that GM has been using since the '50's. For a $40-$50k car, depending on the model, its unbelievable.

And, to top it all off, GM calls me tonight to tell me that they are sorry for all my trouble, and would like to offer me a free oil change and tire rotation.:lol: I said, no thanks, can't take the wheels off because I never received the coded key. That's in the process too.

Its great, now I have a Corvette and a bunch of parts, an aching back, and not much motivation to take it all apart and put it all back together, but I have no choice now. :-?

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Larry,

I'm not laughing at you, I'm laughing with you????
:lol: :lol: :lol:

dan

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
You got to love some of these salesman, anything for a sale.
Rotate your tires, that's a good one.
How do you rotate 18" & 17" tires that roll in only one direction?
Hope you get it all resolved Larry.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Man, what a crock o' .....! Sorry to hear about this Larry. I guess you can never look a car over too much before paying.

I don't think I'd ever entertain buying a used car from a stranger without running a full query on it and checking every job that has been done after all of these types of stories I've been hearing lately.

:-?

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Damn I feel your pain.... Did you try a junk yard for the cd player?? One near me has a whole shit load of them.. Best of luck with the windshield!!!:cheers: :cheers:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts