Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '02 Z on order and want to replace the stock wheels with 18" front and rear Mallett 396 rims. This is purely for cosmetic reasons but I am conserned about the increased unsprung weight.

I know the '02 stockers are .15kg lighter than the '01s. But how much do the '01 stock Z wheels weigh? Anyone know the weight of the Mallett's?

Thanks,
P

·
Registered
0 Posts
Stock Front Z06 wheels.......19.65 lbs./ea

Chromed Front Z06 wheels.....20.4 lbs./ea

Stock Rear Z06 wheels........21.4 lbs./ea

Chromed Rear Z06 wheels......22.1 lbs./ea

Sorry, I don't know the weight of the Malletts. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_confused.gif

Frank Calmes Quicksilver 2001 Z06
Vortex Rammer & Power Duct, B&B PRT's with Speedway Tips, Ripper Shifter with Momo Knob, Chrome Z06 Wheels

Sherylann Calmes Black 2001 Z06
Vortex Rammer & Power Duct, Chrome Z06 Wheels

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have a set of one piece alloy Mallett wheels ready to have Hoosier R3SO3s mounted this week (18 x 9.5 front and 18 x 11 rear). Before Mallett mounts them I will have them weighed. I will also weigh the stock tires and rims and report the differences as well. This should be Wednesday or Thursday of this week.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Here are the weights for one piece alloy Mallet wheels (without tires);

18" x 9.5" = 24.25 #s
18" x 11" = 26.25 #s

The wheels were weighed at Mallett Cars, Berea, Ohio, by Andy who mounted and balanced them.

With Hoosier tires mounted, the tire/wheel combinations weighed as follows;

18" x 9.5" + 275/ZR35 18 = 45 #s
18" x 11" + 305/ZR30 18 = 50 #s

This is nearly identical to the stock tire and wheel combination. The stock front's weighed 44.5 #s, the rear's 50 #s.

The Mallett wheels look great. I will be posting pictures when I have a chance. Hope this info is useful.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
mxk116: aren't the guys there at Mallett's the greatest?! What a great shop. They know their stuff and always take good care of the customer. I always go to them for setup's and race stuff. Chuck and his dad and brothers are great people.

·
Registered
78 Posts
This is my first Chevy let alone a Corvette, so I can't pretend that I have alot of experience with GM products. But the people at Mallett have treated me like I was their biggest customer. Great attitude and they certainly have a technical perspective that is hard to rival.

We are fortunate here in Ohio to have such a resource so close by- Matt

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
mxk116, thank you very much for the info. When I called Mallett to ask them the weight, they said each wheel was about 10 lbs. heavier than stock Z06's. Talk about putting down your own product...

P

1 - 8 of 8 Posts