Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a set of aftermarket competition grey rims for the new Z. I am very concerned about extra weight in the rim having dealt w/ the negative effects in the past. The front are 28lbs. and the rears are 30 lbs. How does this stack up to the stockers? Love the comp greys on a black Z. T%hanks Jim

·
Registered
603 Posts
I found a set of aftermarket competition grey rims for the new Z. I am very concerned about extra weight in the rim having dealt w/ the negative effects in the past. The front are 28lbs. and the rears are 30 lbs. How does this stack up to the stockers? Love the comp greys on a black Z. T%hanks Jim
I believe stocks are abt 21 & 24 lbs, respectively.

·
Registered
11 Posts
OEM 18" front wheel: 22 lbs ea.

OEM 19" rear wheel: 26 lbs ea.

OEM Goodyear F1 Supercar extended mobility front tire: 29 lbs ea. (new)

OEM Goodyear F1 Supercar extended mobility rear tire: 36 lbs ea. (new)
I had no idea the tires weighed that much, that's a lot!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Of note, the stock OEM rims are actually made in Italy by Speedline. It's one of the reasons they are so expensive.

When inspecting my replacement wheels I was impressed by the build quality, low weight, and detailed finishing of the OEMs. I don't remember reading any Z06 literature that featured "Made in Italy by Speedline" wheels but I think it's yet another great testament to the outstanding quality of the Z06.

-DV

·
Registered
943 Posts
Are the 08 stock wheels also made in Italy? I thought I read they are different now?? I don't know.

Also, aren't the stock base wheels called "competition painted silver" and then you can get them in gray for extra? Aren't these the same wheels?

Then there are also chrome and polished aluminum options too. I think the chrome are 3# heavier per wheel than the base wheels.

Thanks.

·
Registered
943 Posts
The 3# per chrome wheel was my post I think. This is based upon a dealer printing out specs of an 08 Z with stock and chrome wheels, that was the only difference. It had weights listed....12# more for the chromies. That's 3# per wheel...Maybe the polished aluminum would be an option for light wt but no extra wt. I'm planning on stock then eventually lt wt OZ's or something for track tires.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm planning on stock then eventually lt wt OZ's or something for track tires.

I hope you don't me asking nor going off topic - but what are OZ's?

I am looking for a good set of track wheels that are equal to or lighter than OEM Z06 wheels (C6 of course).

I checked out corvette garage but they are only replicas. I'd like to stay within the range of quality of OEM but cheaper and definitely not heavier.

·
Registered
295 Posts

I am looking for a good set of track wheels that are equal to or lighter than OEM Z06 wheels (C6 of course).

I checked out corvette garage but they are only replicas. I'd like to stay within the range of quality of OEM but cheaper and definitely not heavier.
A lot of racers use CCW wheels. They are lighter than stock, strong, and look good.

·
Registered
526 Posts
These work very well for the track. Please note brakes system also. 18" front & rear.

Please resize if needed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
OZ is an Italian wheel company specializing in both track and street wheels. They are an extremely popular company when it comes to racing (as their wheels are used in F1 and WRC. They have even come stock on the Mitsubishi Lancer, for example).

My input, coming from the Toyota Supra world (and having owned one myself) is to look into the manufacturer of my old wheels, Volk Racing (by Rays Engineering). The TE37 forged monoblock wheel is amongst the lightest wheels you will ever see. It is from Japan and is just as popular as OZ wheels and the aforementioned CCWs.

You can't go wrong with: BBS, OZ, CCW, or Volk Racing Wheels.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I'm actually thinking the stock wheels would be ideal for track because they are lighter than almost anything available (the CCW listed above are 18 rear - CCW website would suggest many are heavier than stock)..

This means I may consider getting a set of street wheels where wt is not the issue as much as looks and price..After all, I'll probably go with the GY runcraps anyway (a fine "cruising" tire).

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
A word of caution:

The OEM wheels are indeed relatively light for an OEM wheel. However, they remain an OEM wheel nonetheless and were designed and manufactured with production, mainly street driven cars, in mind.

They are not weak, per se, but they are not as strong as some aftermarket wheels. I have both heard of and seen photos of OEM Z06 wheel failures on track as well as seeing failures first hand, several times.

No such failure was preceded by any warning whatsoever. They simply fracture, often at the spokes, usually under hard braking and occasionally in a corner.

Again, this is not Internet rumor and, at least those I've seen fail personally, were undamaged prior to failing.

I'm not saying it is common. I am not saying yours will fail. I am simply saying that are more prone to failure than a good aftermarket wheel, especially those with a racing pedigree.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts