Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering.. any written docs out there that have the weight of the LS1 and LS6 engines??

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
Mr Kgy:

Very good question, I wish I could answer it for you,

Last month I had the opportunity to tour the St. Catherines engine plant in Canada (they build our LS1 & LS6 there). That would have been an excellent time to get your question answered.......maybe some one else knows.

Zippy :) :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
JT, in August during the engine plant tour, I did an interview with quite a few of the plant workers. The weight of the block did come up at one of the first stations. We were told 110 lbs for the block. My guess for the total weight would be around 300 lbs, but I did not ask for a specific finished number. Next time I will. How important is this to you? I could get the answer faster for you if necessary.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I haven't had much luck finding weights for either of those engines. I couldn't even find a weight for the LS6 crate engine.

I could only find:

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/specs/ls1ls6.html

"2001 Totally Dressed Engine Weight"

Auto - 457.6
Manual (LS1 & LS6) - 497.2

I believe the difference is due to the clutch (vs. just a flexplate for the auto) and that the transmission is not included. But that probably includes a Lot of accessories.

Based on the crate motor pics, the shipping weight should be pretty close.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts