Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can anyone tell me the weight of the Z06 wheels? Any suggestions for autocross wheels and tires?
Thanks & All the Zest
DrE

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Not sure exactly....

.....about the weight of the stock rims but 22#s and 24#s comes to mind, but don't quote me.

A lot of the Pro Solo and National Tour Z06's have CCW (Complete Custom Wheels - Pirate Racing) and Hoosier AutoX tires, A3SO3's, 275/40x17 and 305/30x18.

I think the CCW's are around 16#s and 18#s plus the Hoosiers are a lighter tire.

These are beautiful chrome wheels that look similar to the BBS LeMans wheels on the C5R and real sticky wide tires.

I got mine from Tom Reichel at Mid Atlantic Motorsports
www.midatlanticmotorsport.com
You can see the wheels and tires if you look in his picture gallery on his site. There are a couple C5's, a couple C4's and a bad ass blue '71 LT-1 on the CCW's and Hoosiers in the gallery, also a Viper if you click on the CCW banner.

These are reasonably priced wheels that look great and perform.

Tell "Hoosier" Tom that I sent you.

BTW We ( me, Tom Reichel and all the other competitiors) will all be in Ft. Myers, Florida at Buckingham Airfield on February 15/16/17 and 22/23/24 for the first Pro Solo and National Tour Race. Drive on over for one of the weekends!! Look for a QS Z06 #69.

For an aleternative, I also like Jongbloed Wheels. They have a heat treated, hard anodized aluminum rim and Magnesium centers (around $800 ea.)
www.jongbloedwheels.com

Don Williams

PS. I also have a set of rains mounted on used Fikse wheels. They are nice wheels but cost me $3,000, used. I also have my track racing slicks on Dymag Special Magnesium. These weigh only 8.5#'s each but now cost over $12,000 a set! The BBS LeMans wheels will run around $2,500 each. I hope that puts the CCW's in perspective and shows what a good value they are.

·
Z06 Power Adder Authority
3,265 Posts
22-24lbs and they're supposed to be "light"? I don't consider that light at all...about average for a quality wheel this size, but I thought they reduced some serious weight with these wheels.

Oh well. My Fikse FM5's should be here within the next 2 days...those weigh 11-12lbs each. :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
WA 2 FST

When you receive your FM5's could you weight them? I would be real surprised if they only weighted 12 pounds. If they were that light I think the top SCCA SS AutoX drivers like Erik Strelnieks, Dave Schotz and others would have been using them instead of CCW or Circle Wheels.

DrE

Use the Search feature and you will find previous posts on AX wheels.
Look at Dave Schotz's post he has the weights posted. I think he had said that the Circle Wheels were 1.25 pounds lighter than the CCW's and the CCW about 1.0 pound lighter than stock.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
there is a banner

....."click ON" for Circle Wheels flashing with others at the top of
www.sccaforums.com
I think that will link you to:
www.ontrackproducts.com

"y2khardtop" of this site also had a set of Kenesis wheels for sale either on this site oir the sccaforums site.

The nice thing about the CCW's is they have the maximum + offset allowable built in. ie no special tooling or the need for spacers and special nuts. My Fikse's needed spacers added (ie. added weight) to get that offset. They are nice spacers though and bolt directly to the inside of the wheel.

Now then, there is the problem that when I change from dry tires (either my stock rims with the F1's or the CCW's with the Hoosiers) to the wet setup (GY's on the Fikse's) I have to use a special long reach nut due to the spacers on the Fikse's. No big problem I just have to have an extra set of 20 nuts lying around. And these special nuts are heavier. But that is what I wanted in the wet.

Just some things to think about.

There is also a new wheel being imported from Australia. Simmons Wheels I think. These are custom built forgings for road race or street. The race wheels are machine lightened.
www.groupawheels.com

BTW FYI: One should always keep track of his nuts and above all means keep your nuts seperated!!!!

·
Registered
467 Posts
Wes buddy... your FM5's cannot weigh 12lbs...

FM-5: 17x10s weigh 18.5 - 20.5 lbs depending on the application (dont have weights for 18" handy)

Corvette Z06 '01 Front -- Forged -- 17x9.5 -- 19.6 lbs.
Corvette Z06 '01 Rear -- Forged -- 18x10.5 -- 21.4 lbs.

Corvette Z06 '02 Front -- Spun Cast -- 17x9.5 -- 19.2 lbs.
Corvette Z06 '02 Rear -- Spun Cast -- 18x10.5 -- 21.0 lbs.

And CCW recently got a new mfg. lathe... he has reduced weight 1-2lbs. per wheel (since Dave Schotz's post... so they should be a hair lighter than Circle stars).

·
Z06 Power Adder Authority
3,265 Posts
Dreamin said:
Wes buddy... your FM5's cannot weigh 12lbs...

FM-5: 17x10s weigh 18.5 - 20.5 lbs depending on the application (dont have weights for 18" handy)

Corvette Z06 '01 Front -- Forged -- 17x9.5 -- 19.6 lbs.
Corvette Z06 '01 Rear -- Forged -- 18x10.5 -- 21.4 lbs.

Corvette Z06 '02 Front -- Spun Cast -- 17x9.5 -- 19.2 lbs.
Corvette Z06 '02 Rear -- Spun Cast -- 18x10.5 -- 21.0 lbs.

And CCW recently got a new mfg. lathe... he has reduced weight 1-2lbs. per wheel (since Dave Schotz's post... so they should be a hair lighter than Circle stars).
You are correct. I was wrong. :p

Got 'em today and weighed them. Fronts weighed 17-18lbs (don't have a digital scale that the wife will let me use for "car parts") and the rears (18x10) weighed ~20 lbs.

I came up with the same approx. weight as you when I weighed my stock '02 wheels.

Sorry for the misinformation on my part. Honest mistake.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts