Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those really concerned about the last ounce in your car, well, here is something to take a closer look at:

Braille B14115 lightweight battery.

That battery is rated at 360 C.C.A. and about 900 P.C.A. (the Odyssey 925MJT is rated at 925 P.C.A ) and the most important thing: That thing only weights 11.5 pounds, yes, you heard it right: 11.5 pounds. That weight is half the Odyssey's weight and it even weights less than the Odyssey 680MJT, which weights 15.4 lbs only.
The Braille battery probably weights around 30 pounds less than the OEM battery.

With 7.68 lb/h.p. ratio, a stock Z06 will have 4 extra horsepower for going faster, less weight for braking and for cornering.

Price tag is somewhat expensive, 150-170 bucks, but 4 useable hp for ~160 bucks is a good mod.

Hope this helps!

GB.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Mounting could be accomplished similar to the the Hawker Odyssey

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
dmtnt said:
IT L GO, do you know if that mounting kit comes with the Odyssey? If not, do you know where to get it?
The person that installed this Battery, got the hold down and bolts from Pep Boys :cheers:

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
So our battery's are over 40lbs?? You sure about that..

·
Registered
752 Posts
My recollection is the stock battery weighs 32 lbs. I did the Oddyssey and mounted it similar to It L Go. The oddysey on my home scales was 15 lbs, including the mounting equipment.

The mounting system was easy, two bolts, an aluminum sleeve on each bolt to reach just below the top of the battery, and a piece of aluminum across the battery as the hold down. I used wingnuts to clamp the alum strap down to the bolts.

My experience is its easier to drop weight from my battery than my belly... :guiness: Oh...and keep it off.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
eh, only after i pull the dash and carpeting will i worry about saving weight with the battery. If your going to that extreme i hope you have no air bags, air pump, A/C, radio, dash, etc in the car.

·
Registered
752 Posts
If your going to that extreme i hope you have no air bags, air pump, A/C, radio, dash, etc in the car.

Not sure I get your point. Everyone has to have a battery, and sooner or later all batteries have to be replaced. If you can buy one that saves 15 lbs why not? You don't give up anything except for 15 lbs and a few bucks. My Oddyssey has more CCA than the stock battery. :yeadog:

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I didn't know for sure the stock was 32 lbs. But is good to know someone has that number.

I think that battery might be interesting for the guys who race their Z06, you know, after all, every pound counts when you're trying to outhandle/outbrake the other cars.

GB.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Nice find GB! Heck, that's a lot more than you can save with a CF hood and it's over the front AND it's up pretty high. OH Yeah - a little cheaper too. So you made a believer out of me. Now the real trick would be to get the 11.5 lb battery and mount it in the back. Crazy? I don't think so. Why did we buy these cars in the first place? GOTTA be a performance freak, right? ;)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Cool, being a stickler for weight savings myself, you'll want to keep checking the thread above for updates. My goal is to get my coupe under 3,000 lbs without removing insulation, carpeting, A/C or the radio. Among the things that'll be coming off are: both airbags, and AIR system. Things that'll be (or have been) replaced with lighter units are: steering wheels, both seats, catback exhaust, headers, x-pipe sans cats, headlights, battery and as many body panels as I can afford to get in carbon fiber.

Just have to wait for the forum updates at that forum to finish so the entire thread will be visible again... I've thought about posting it here, but when I tried, I found that there's a limit to how big posts can be, and I don't care to chop up my information any further than I already have.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Glad it was of any use. I know guys who race the Z, like Subdriver does, would probably like to know about it.

FYI
16.54 kg ---> 36.34 lb. OEM battery
5.22 kg ----> 11.5 lb. Braille battery.

Thats 11 kilos out of the car, ...pretty good.

BTW, thanks for the weight specs on the OEM battery.

GB.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The corsa titanium exhaust without muffler will save weight, It willl also cost about $1,400. I did it and it sounds great, no problems. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
The Corsa Ti Race dropped 18lbs, and also the shorty headers were worth another 18lbs savings. I'm already down 36lbs, now to change the battery....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts