Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 and it hasn't burned a drop...until now.
There are 10, 200miles on it now (new in April 2001) and this morning I checked the oil and it is about 1 1/2 quarts low. The DIC said 70% oil life yesterday and when I started it up this morning the DIC says "Low Oil Level". I have not changed the way I drive. The hardest miles were from 1500 to 6000. I did check the oil level two weeks ago and it was fine. There are no oil spots in the garage nor at work.
Last oil change was at 7500 in early August-no consumption at all.
Oil Changes: 1500, 4500, 7500.

I am taking it to the dealer today to change the oil (only 300 miles early). What else should I do? Should I document the low level with the dealer or is this just a freak thing. I understand that their could be many factors, but should I be concerned?

If I have left out some base info, let me know.

Thanks.
Tony

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Maybe you haven't been getting good readings at the dipstick. I am guessing it was probably low for some time and maybe you were just getting a bad reading at the dipstick.

I always check my oil in the morning after the car has been sitting overnight on a flat surface. Don't start the car before reading the dipstick.

When you pull the dipstick in the morning, all the oil will have dripped back down the dispstick and tube. There is no-need to wipe the stick once and stick it back in before reading it, just pull it out and read the level.

In my experience, once you have pulled the wet dipstick through the tube, your not going to get an acurate second reading because the dipstick tube will be wet enough to spread the oil up the stick upon reinsertion.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought that might be a problem (bad stick or not level). So I have always been checking the oil on a flat surface in the morning like you or in the evening about an hour after the car has been sittin'.

After I took it to the dealer...THEY suggested a consumption test. So, we started it.

I started thinking later that it wasn't burning before so maybe it isn't a typical consumption problem. I am now thinking it might be a PCV valve gone bad. But wouldn't that throw a code?

Either way we are runnin' a consumption test and I will be taking it back in @ 1,500 (since the change) and see what happens. If it is burning still, I am going to have them check out the PCV valve. If that is good I will continue the consumption test. IF it doesn't burn then I will chalk it up to a defective dipstick operator (ME).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts