1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,080 Posts
How about having a "boat anchor" :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
959 Posts
If you burn alot of oil for long periods of time, a buildup of carbon deposits will form on the exhaust valve seats on the head and the seats of the exhaust valves. This buildup will eventually lead to valves that do not seat properly causing blow-by. This blow-by will eventually heat and wear the valves and valve seats, permanently damaging them beyond repair (re-grinding). The heads will need to be re-built, new valves and valve seats installed.

In my experience you nead to burn alot of oil for that to happen though (like a litre every 1000 miles or so) and run the engine that way for a long time...

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Except for the poor people following you... :( needing gas masks and goggles/I just turn the wipers on if the blue smoke is too thick! :roll: Guess that's about a liter every 100 miles. :-?

Bob :D

·
Registered
284 Posts
How does a litre compare to a quart? I tend to go through a quart during a track day without seeming to hurt anything, in fact some people recomend adding extra oil before going out on the track. Speaking of tracks, Bob did you get to RA last weekend?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I think the Cats can suffer a premature death from too much of that stuff. I'm not sure, I'm just talking out my azz.

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Duke 1 said:
How does a litre compare to a quart? I tend to go through a quart during a track day without seeming to hurt anything, in fact some people recomend adding extra oil before going out on the track. Speaking of tracks, Bob did you get to RA last weekend?
Hey Duke, no! I was unable to make it...and the weather was awesome. I plan on going in October, and may make an earlier event other than Speedseekers. :thumb:

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Duke 1 said:
A quart and a litre are about the same.

The video that came with the Z06 recommended adding a quart before a track day. Kind of defeats the purpose though if you let it burn away. I suggest you keep it at a quart over during a track day to prevent uncovering the oil pump pickup in sustained left hand turns.

As an aside, oil doesn't burn as well as fuel and oxygen, so burning oil costs HP.
:cheers:

·
Registered
73 Posts
rpallas said:
Except for the poor people following you... :( needing gas masks and goggles/I just turn the wipers on if the blue smoke is too thick! :roll: Guess that's about a liter every 100 miles. :-?

You're not supposed to worry about where you've been just how cool you look getting there. :coo: At least you know things are getting lubed!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts