Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I'm coming from a '96 Z-28 that doesn't hold up in stock trim. The clutch and the rearend were trash.

I'm awaiting my '02 Z06 to be built and am already spending money on mods /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif Anyway, I plan on just some bolts ons (intake, thermo, fan switch, shifter, headers maybe and no cats, o2 sims, possibly a nitrous shot in the future for freeway use, etc.) Will the stock '02 clutch handle this? I figure with those mods I could be running 11.5-12.0.

I know this is a new car, but I'm a pretty damned good driver at the strip. In my '96 Z-28 I was running 13.0 on stock long block with stock exhaust and 11.7 on a 150 shot of juice. I can get into another persons car and usually run .2-.3 faster even though I'm a healthy 295 lbs. I hope that didn't come off like me sounding full of myself :/

Anyway, how do the rearends and half shalves hold up? I figure some of you folks are getting 1.7-1.9 short times on stock tires and must be dumping the clutch around 4,000 rpm and actually hooking. Or maybe even using some drag radials.

So, gimme the scoop, what dies on these cars if anything?

I was also going to ask about the best intake, but somebody beat me to it. I think I'm going with the Haltech, it looks TIGHT!!!

Thanks in advance.

'96 Z-28 396" + N2O 6-spd Arctic White "WHYT LIE"

'02 ZO6 Silver "ZO SIC"

·
Registered
345 Posts
The '02 beefed up what was a potential clutch weakness in the '01 and other than that I have not seen a post to date to say there is a glaring problem. If your mods are strong enough you will always see a ripple effect that tests levels of engineering.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
The stock clutch will handle all your mods except nitrous, it will work for a while but the clutch is only slightly better than the 01's. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

1 - 3 of 3 Posts