Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wow not a lot shakin in the old Canadian corner:) Once the Loonie takes another run at the Greenback(please God make it happen) I will probably be looking south for a C6. Who has actually done the mod? Is it exactly the same parts as for the basic C6?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I didnt really do it,but i used to work at an autobody shop so i got my old boss to get me a receipt from GM for the part then when i went for the inspection i just showed them the receipt and told them that i put on the part on myself, and they believed me. So i saved myself a couple hundred bucks. The bumper mod thing is stupid anyway it doesnt even do anything its just that the absorber cushion in the US spec cars are rated for 2-5KM/h impacts and the Canadian ones are 8KM/h.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I just did that stupid mod. The Canadian insert look exactly the same :screwy:

however, the parts cost me over $1,200. and $371 to get them installed. GM allow 5 hrs to do the job.

I still have to pass the inspection, but my car is in storage. I had an extention till May to do it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
wow 1200bucks, sorry to hear that, that money would be put to better use with adding a borla stinger or somthing but whatever it has to be done in order to pass inspection. its so stupid what are the chances of you getting rear ended in a corvette anyways. how lonng ago did you buy your vette and what did u get?

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just did that stupid mod. The Canadian insert look exactly the same :screwy:

however, the parts cost me over $1,200. and $371 to get them installed. GM allow 5 hrs to do the job.

I still have to pass the inspection, but my car is in storage. I had an extention till May to do it.
How did you get an extension? And Merry Christmas:csmile:

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did you email them? I only ever dealt with the Customs office. So did you go to customs, pay your GST and fees first and then ask at the Customs office for the extension?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Did you email them? I only ever dealt with the Customs office. So did you go to customs, pay your GST and fees first and then ask at the Customs office for the extension?
I used a brooker; I pay the GST to him and he drop the paper for you (waist of time and money) anyway, the extention I am talking is the RVI inspection after you get the Inspection form and the modification done. Usaly you have to do that withing 45 days.

Here the link (in case you dind'nt know)
how to import

·
Registered
33 Posts
nice Z, i wish i could of got a c6 unfortunatly it was way out of my price range. I live right on the border of oakville mississauga we should definatly go for a cruise and drink someday i know some great crusing spots down here. How often are u down in oakville. From what i can see you are from montreal.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yup, from Montreal area. I work near Trafalgar and QEW. I only have to go a fews time a year. Usaly, when I have a contract, I will show to the office to pick up a rig a then come back fews weeks or months later. I work on pipeline and travel a lot. I will send you a message next time to see if you are in for a chat about Vettes :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
07 Z06.
Parts ordered online from the US: $435.28
Shipping to my door: $162.00
Install at the local GM dealer; $540.00
Cheaper to order from the US. As an example the front bumper foam here is $279. and in the US I paid $87.93 for the same part which they told me was made in Canada in the first place. Go figure...
Best way to do it is have the dealer you bought it from or the dealer closest to where you are buying it order the parts and either stick them in the car or install them right there. All you need is the bill for the parts and the install for the RIV. I heard of one enterprising fellow who made his own bills up and that worked too...
Grant

·
Registered
59 Posts
Some one is putting a lot's of cash in there pocket.:mah:

Did you pass the inspection ? I still have to do that before May. Was is other mod required ?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Some one is putting a lot's of cash in there pocket.:mah:

Did you pass the inspection ? I still have to do that before May. Was is other mod required ?
The trouble is, cost for these parts to the Canadian dealer is more than what I paid for them in the US. They are just as pissed at GM as we are. My car was a new untitled vehicle so inspection was a breeze. The only thing they even looked at was the child restraint hookup, drl's, metric speedo and bilingual airbag stickers. Funny thing, the car came from Georgia and already had french/english airbag stickers. Go figure....
Grant

·
Registered
8 Posts
yes i realize the date of the thread why does everyone say that!!! I wanted to know if they allowed c5 to pass threw now without converting the front bumper thought maybe they would just start from the rule onward!

·
Registered
18 Posts
do u still have to convert? did they not change the canadian front bumper testing to match the USA one?
You are correct. There is no longer a requirement for bumper changes. The only problem now is that the DRL's must remain on at all times. On US cars you they can be turned off and most inspectors are now aware of that. Mine snuck through... You can take it to a dealer for re-programing.
It sure beats bumper mods....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts