Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was disappointed. It was fat and nose heavy. Was expecting a little less weight and a lot more balance.

It may have syphoned off some C6/C6Z06 sales, reducing pricing pressure. Based on the C/D report, a stripped $44k C6 is probably a much nicer and better handling car. And nearly as quick.

·
Registered
808 Posts
DavidNJ said:
I was disappointed. It was fat and nose heavy. Was expecting a little less weight and a lot more balance.

It may have syphoned off some C6/C6Z06 sales, reducing pricing pressure. Based on the C/D report, a stripped $44k C6 is probably a much nicer and better handling car. And nearly as quick.

All that is true but the guys that this Mustang will appeal to only care that with little investment they will be able to become stop light champions and street racing kings.

·
Registered
624 Posts
roushraven said:
All that is true but the guys that this Mustang will appeal to only care that with little investment they will be able to become stop light champions and street racing kings.

That's exactly why I would buy one . . . Plus I like stripes . . .

·
Registered
806 Posts
I think its a bad ass car no matter what C/D says. I would love to have one and a C6 Z... Oh yea and a Hemi Cuda.

·
Registered
203 Posts
My thoughts:

Looks great

Great price

easy to get another 50-75 hp out of it

Scrub the crap out of the front tires around corners

Bit of a pig -3850 lbs almost 300 more than the GT. Thats a lot.

Also was it just me or did C&D really stretch their credibility w/ comparison to C6? I mean great car but it will not handle or brake w/ a C6.

·
Registered
63 Posts
RFC2 said:
Also was it just me or did C&D really stretch their credibility w/ comparison to C6? I mean great car but it will not handle or brake w/ a C6.
Probably .... but isn't it great to be that against which all others are measured. A paragon of sorts.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
DavidNJ said:
I doubt that it will/has changed any C6/C6Z06 sales; for the most part Corvette buyers have no intrest in Mustangs other than racing them (at least the car guy vette owners wiil race). I am a car guy and bought my Z06 for performance reasons not status, but the new mustang does nothing for me in terms of buying it. Performance wise, it's great but it's still kinda pricey for what it is, but I see it pulling very few sales from the pre-owned C5 or C6 sales.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
RFC2 said:
My thoughts:

Looks great

Great price

easy to get another 50-75 hp out of it

Scrub the crap out of the front tires around corners

Bit of a pig -3850 lbs almost 300 more than the GT. Thats a lot.

exactly. :yeadog:

·
Registered
248 Posts
It was an okay article. Nothing that made you wow as it should have especially having the Shelby name attached to it. The car is on the chunky side and it will probably drive as one and poses no serious threat to the C6 Z06. Now if they do end up putting 500 hp into it then it may be more interesting for that kind of $.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I would never buy a car that someone might possibly ask me if it had the SIX or eight cylinder in it!!! What a Joke...

And I like the old mustangs...

It's obvious, Ford is only about selling cars and not interested in tradition, although they keep bringing back the throwbacks!....

Remember the 79 Mustang...what a POS!

·
Registered
63 Posts
constren said:
I would never buy a car that someone might possibly ask me if it had the SIX or eight cylinder in it!!! What a Joke...

yeah me either!!!! Like a C1 Corvette ... did it have a 6 or an 8 in it?

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
The car is going to be a fantastic hit for Ford, and an awesome value. I still don't see the Mustang and Corvette comparisions as IMHO they are two very different cars that you like for different reasons. I like my Z06, but I like the Mustang too...the reasons are as different as the two cars are. In general I don't think most people are going to be comparision shopping between a Shelby and a Z06 as [most people are probably more strongly oriented towards one or the other to begin with. I'm an exception, I can be happy with either, and my choice probably will come down to price. If the Z06 is excessively priced, I'll buy the Shelby...it's a GREAT value IMO.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I like how the mustang has a back seat, for practicability at least. Still would get the vette though, who wants a practical car when a vette is just so much fun.

·
Registered
41 Posts
As far as straight line speed goes, the GT500 will have the advantage over the C6. It has nothing for a C6Z stock vs. stock.

The GT500 is going to be an awesome car, but I just don't like the looks of it right now. I still like the 03/04 Cobra the best of the modern mustangs right now. EDIT: And if you thought the fit/finish was bad on the vettes, then you obviously haven't sat in a mustang recently. I had the opportunity to sit in a Mach1 at a car show a couple of years ago and it felt like it was made out of cardboard. :puke:

·
Registered
296 Posts
The looks of the new Mustang is hedious, especially up-close. Ford decided to make the cheapes body frames for the GT and the Shelby. Look at that hood. It is like a bent cardboard. It just looks so cheap. 3850 LB is into luxury sedan territory. It's a shame for the engine is pretty good. If I want a Stoplight queen, I would buy a 97 Mystic Cobra and put a superchrger on it.

·
Registered
515 Posts
There are a lot of peope that are interested in getting a mustang now more than ever. Ford will have a heyday selling them. A GT500 is a musclecar not a sportscar but it is still a fun car! GM is missing the boat again.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I am a little skeptical about the write-up in C&D. I am sure that the new GT500 will be an awesome car for the money, but I question whether C&D was really able to give much of an evaluation for two reasons: 1. Ford has just given you the EXCLUSIVE first drive of the car. (do you really think a magazine is going to bring up many negative points about a car when given first crack at seeing it??) 2. They had limited drive time, in poor conditions, in a test mule.

I disagree with some of you who do not feel that the GT500 will compete with C6Z06 sales. There are a lot of people who will buy sports cars in the next year or two, a large number of whom can not squeeze a $70k car into their budgets. If the C6Z rings up anywhere close to $70k you will see some of those people walking around Ford dealerships. There will also be some who will wait a couple of years for a used C6Z06, but I am certain many others will give the GT500 a very close look. I will be very interested to see how GM prices the C6Z06. They really can't afford for this car to flop.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts