Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am looking at a Z06 to purchase as my track car, I currently have a very modified 350Z (455 rwhp) with TTs of course, but After driving several Z06's, especially at Spring Mountain, I am seriously thinking of getting one. I have several in my sights, 2004's all with less than 3000 miles on them. I have spoken to several members here about their cars too.

If I was to get a stock Z06, I would add:

Racing seats
6 Point Harness
Penske Shocks or Moton Club Sports
Brembo f40 Big Brake Kit
Anti Sway bars
SSR Comp H Wheels
Michilen Pilot Sport Cups
Headers & High Flow Cats
Cat Back Exhaust
Oil and Diff coolers
up graded air intake and Throttle body
The 1-4 skip shift elimination short shift kit.
Pagid Brake Pads

So... what do you think?

*** Post Edited 7/20/05 ***

·
Registered
11,339 Posts
I think I know the pfyc.com car-was that Brian's? If it is, it's a track-ready Z06

personally if you are building a track car, I would skip the headers/exhaust and put more into brakes and susp upgrades

and a different tire than Michelin's for the track

·
Registered
141 Posts
You could find a car with most of those mods already done for much less than doing the mods yourself. Maybe you should get a T1 prepped car. There are several that have changed hands recently.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
agreed. Anyone know where I might find a T1 or better yet a C5-R?

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I would get one of the used T1 car's for 70% of the cost it would take you and it is already setup and ready to run near the front in the right hands.

Always better to by someone elses money pit.
:p

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well My goal is to develop a great track car that I can Drive to and hopefully (knock wood) drive home again :)

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Zippycar said:
I am looking at a Z06 to purchase as my track car, I currently have a very modified 350Z (455 rwhp) with TTs of course, but After driving several Z06's, especially at Spring Mountain, I am seriously thinking of getting one. I have several in my sights, 2004's all with less than 3000 miles on then there is this one.

http://www.drautos.com/search/srDetails.asp?itemid=224098&sessionkey={18944DB3-FF78-48FB-90D2-B58323C575FF}

This Z-06 was built by PartsForYourCar.com for the 2003 SEMA show in Las Vegas. An extensive list of parts and accessories has been added to make this car a spectacular show piece as well as a stellar performer. A 7-inch LCD screen has been installed in the center consol in place of the original radio and displays what is behind you via a rear mounted camera when you are driving. It can also run any or all of the four onboard cameras included with this car. Racing seats are pictured in the car with five-point harnesses, and original Corvette sport seats that have been re-covered in superb black and yellow leather to match the rest of the custom leatherwork are also included. A Laptrax data acquisition box records vehicle information that, with the cameras, gives an intimate look at your hot laps. Mechanically, the engine has revised heads with a custom performance cam for the kind of high end torque you would want to exploit on the track, and it is complimented by hydraulic lifters, double roller timing gear, roller rockers, magnesium pushrods, dual valve springs, a blueprinted Katech oil pump, high-flow air intake, headers, camber kit, Bilstein adjustable shocks, Kirban short shift, and much, much more. With over $20,000 in upgrades, the list goes on, but we are out of space. Call for more info or come in to own this Vette before someone else does.

It has as all the goodies, but I would like some feed back on the engine mods. I know it is missing a good free flow exhaust, but it looks like it is a good deal. I really don't care if it was A SEMA car or not, but it has several of the suspension and engine mods that seem like reasonable track upgrades.

If I was to get a stock Z06, I would add:

Racing seats
6 Point Harness
Penske Shocks or Moton Club Sports
Brembo f40 Big Brake Kit
Anti Sway bars
SSR Comp H Wheels
Michilen Pilot Sport Cups
Headers
Borla Exhaust
Oil and Diff coolers
up graded air intake and Throttle body
maybe the 1-4 skip shift elimination short shift kit.
Pagid Brake Pads

So... what do you think?
Coming from a guy with a 455 rwhp 350, its a compliment that you are considering the real Z.

Anyways, as for your selection of parts. I wouldnt touch the ZO6 chassis/suspension. I would get stickier rubber, Im not sure about the cups but I would run Nitto 555 R2's on the OE rims. Oil and diff coolers definetely, intake yeah, Id go with a vararam. Aftermarket 90 mm throttle bodies dont do much with stock displacement, up the cubes then consider it.

Definetely skip shift eliminator, but to save you a few dollars on a $20 kit do a search here and youll find that you can accomplish the same feat with a .50 cent resistor from radio shack. LG longtubes, for sure.

Why borla cat back? If youve seen and heard it already great, but dont buy a cat back for the name. I run SLP's system which hardly anyone has, its the lightest and loudest (124.75 decibel) system. Its actually 3 lbs lighter than stock Ti. But if you wanna jump on the borla bandwagon thats your choice.

Certain brake pads will bruise the stock rotors.

I would keep the car the way it is, and add the intake, headers, exh., sticky rubber, oil/diff coolers. R seats and harness, maybe. Dont waste your money on the rest.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds like you know me ;) My 350Z is fast and set up nicely, but I have not driven it all summer... Mechanical issues mostly electronic, are having the domino effect. I am replacing the ECU next week in an effort to stop them. As we have found that this is where most of the issues are comming from.

As far as you comments I agree with 90% of them. See Below:

eviLS6 said:
Coming from a guy with a 455 rwhp 350, its a compliment that you are considering the real Z.

Thank you :thumb:

Anyways, as for your selection of parts. I wouldnt touch the ZO6 chassis/suspension. I would get stickier rubber, Im not sure about the cups but I would run Nitto 555 R2's on the OE rims. Oil and diff coolers definetely, intake yeah, Id go with a vararam. Aftermarket 90 mm throttle bodies dont do much with stock displacement, up the cubes then consider it.

What ever Z06 I get I will be getting light weight racing wheels SSR Comp H or similar and Michilen Pilot Sport Cups at a minimum. TBs dont concern me too much at this point.

Definetely skip shift eliminator, but to save you a few dollars on a $20 kit do a search here and youll find that you can accomplish the same feat with a .50 cent resistor from radio shack. LG longtubes, for sure.

For sure!

Why borla cat back? If youve seen and heard it already great, but dont buy a cat back for the name. I run SLP's system which hardly anyone has, its the lightest and loudest (124.75 decibel) system. Its actually 3 lbs lighter than stock Ti. But if you wanna jump on the borla bandwagon thats your choice.

Just want a good cat back system. I am looking to the LG Motorsport Long headders, with the RT high flow cats, and MAYBE the borla stinger two tip exhaust. My racing buddy has it on his Z06 and if sounds great! However, I am not married to it by any neans.

Certain brake pads will bruise the stock rotors.

Brembo F40's at all four corners. 14" rotors and Pagid Orange / Blue pads. Brembo & Pagid, there is no subsitute.

I would keep the car the way it is, and add the intake, headers, exh., sticky rubber, oil/diff coolers. R seats and harness, maybe. Dont waste your money on the rest.
Oil and diff coolers are mandatory, as are the racing seats, harness bar and 6points. I am also going to add the Penske or Moton Club sport suspension kits as well as the T1 anti- sway bars. I am sure I have forgotten a few things but this is a good start so far!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Zippycar said:
Well My goal is to develop a great track car that I can Drive to and hopefully (knock wood) drive home again :)
I think that's a mutually exclusive proposition.

To be really fast, particularily if you're adding the coolers and such, you'll need at least "R" compound tires and track pads. Neither of which combine well with the street.

I gave up the idea of driving mine back and forth when I kept getting passed by those with real sticky tires, race seats, brake pads that'll pull your fillings out, lowered, negative camber, etc. At that point, because I didn't want to always be pulling up the rear, I got a trailer.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Falcon said:
I think that's a mutually exclusive proposition.

To be really fast, particularily if you're adding the coolers and such, you'll need at least "R" compound tires and track pads. Neither of which combine well with the street.

I gave up the idea of driving mine back and forth when I kept getting passed by those with real sticky tires, race seats, brake pads that'll pull your fillings out, lowered, negative camber, etc. At that point, because I didn't want to always be pulling up the rear, I got a trailer.

Your right there is no dual purpose car.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There is a fine line between a purpose built race car and one that your can still take to church on Sunday. My Z has all the upgrades including sticky tires, MPSCs and Harnesses etc and all I do is Switch the tires as soon as I get back home and presto... street ready. But to be honest... my 545i Sport is my daily driver and the Z is my "toy". Soon to be adding another Z to the stable if everything works out...

Some day in the future I'll invest in a trailer....

·
Premium Member
6,325 Posts
Appears you know what you want and have some knowledge and experience to go with it.
What is not clear, and should be considered, is whether you are going to be competing in any sanctioned class group events.
If so, certain mods will bump you up or out of a class.
If all you want is a "streetable" trackable Z you might search threads here. DJWorm and others have posted progressive "packages" suggestions.
FWIW

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
eviLS6 said:
But if you wanna jump on the borla bandwagon thats your choice.
Interesting comment. Why is the decision to run Borla's, a "bandwagon" decision?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Well I finally found my ZO6. All the mods that came with the car were installed at LG Motorsports. She dynoed at 440whp and 410lbs of torque at Lg Motorsports. I had the oppoetunity to get her on the track last weeked, and oh boy was it great. Eventhough it was raining slightly... it still was a lot of fun.

Current Mods:

LG Motorsports Long Tube headers
X pipe, Random Technology High Flow Cats
Brola Stinger Exhaust - two pipe
LGM G5X3 camshaft
Exedy Twin disk racing clutch
Halltech Stinger CAI
ASP underdrive pulley kit
Hypertech 180 thermostat
Nitto 555RII's

Future mods to include:

Custom Harness bar - Roll bar
Sparco Evo 2 Racing seats
Schroth Profi III six point Harness
Brembo's at all four corners
Penske double adjustable remote reservoir coil overs
T1 anti sways
Competition radiator with integrated oil heat exchanger
Accusump system
Diff and Trans Coolers (custom built)
SSR Comp H 18" wheels with Michelin Pilot Sport Cups, 285 F & 295 R.

I don't plan on racing it in any sanctioned events at this time, just have a lot of track time fun.

·
Premium Member
6,325 Posts
Contact Phoenix Performance - they modify Corvettes to T1 specs and occasionally list cars for sale.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts