Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may seem like a silly question, but what exactly does the splitter do? Is it just increased downforce for the nose? I know a few different cars have it... including the C6 Z06.

TIA,

Alex :thumb:

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Alex,
You have it. The splitter sends more air over the nose, vice under the car. This effectively increases downforce (as it prevents lift). Problem with them on a street car is you will bang into things with them and they will disintegrate. Even on race cars, if they are too low and hit the leading edge of a curb or burm, they will implode and the result isn't pretty.

If you get one for the street, be very very careful. Don't hit a curb (parking issue), don't run over any debris on the road, and be careful of dips in the road, driveways, etc. :cheers:

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
AS Sub said:

1. They "split" the air and force more over the top of the car
( ^ air on top = ^ downforce).

2. If angled correctly they can actually act as a front wing
(^ angle of attack = ^^ downforce).

3. The wider they are (front to back) increases downforce
(^ Wing Chord = ^^^ downforce).

4. Aero effect must be balanced with a rear wing/spoiler/diffuser.

They are an evolution of the front air dam/spoiler which only caused more air over the top while trying to limit ALL air under the car and while increasing drag.
Aerodynamisists found that they could achieve as much or more downforce with a splitter with less drag. They also found that the rear Aero structures (Tunnel, Diffuser, Spoiler, Wing) were more effective and could be smaller with less drag with a small amount of air under the car.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
djworm,

Thank you very much for that explanation. I feel a little more informed now.

Alex :)

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
PerforminNorman said:
Mine are strictly for cosmetics and have no performance affect.
Norman:
ANYTHING you attach to a vehicle will have "some" effect...
Unless ultra-high-speed driving is part of your usage plans, it may NOT have "much" effect, but it WILL have "some"...
The splitter/spoiler combo on the Cancer Corvette has "effect" at speeds as low as 50-60mph...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts