Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is warming up? It's 70 degrees outside, I get in my car that I just drove 10 miles to the store and don't even hit the traction control button, but this message pops up on the the DIC. Why would the active handling need to warm up even in cold temperatures? Please shed some light.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
look in the owners manual. I forgot what it said but I have ran into that before.

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
I would suggest you look first at whether the first 50 feet of driving after start up you turned the steering wheel.

I get that message too sometimes and was told its because your turning the wheel in the first 50 odd feet of driving.

It takes the pcm some time to get its bearings or some nonsense like that.

I sometimes get it as I back out of the drive way and I had to turn the wheel to get out...

Worried me at first and then this was the answer I was given...

Hope this allays (sp) any concern you might have.

I also found this out at autox's as you often turn hard very early on in the runs and if you happen to turn off the car waiting...then restart.... it would often set the message.(if the autox had a quick and early turn on the track)

Just the way the Active handling system rechecks itself at the start of every turn of the key..

Try and see if you notice the next time your D.I.C. sets the message if you have just started the car and turned the steering wheel within the first 50ft.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
It has nothing to do with temperature.

It has to do with the unit calibrating. The unit needs about 1 minute to calibrate and self test in an undistirbed mode.

It takes the unit longer to calibrate if you immediately drive the car after starting. This is when you get the message "AH Warming UP". This is indicating to you that the AH & TC is not ready to perform all of its functions. The Calibration and Self Test uses an alternate program if the car is moving which takes longer.

NOTE: There are also other computer systems and programs on the car which also require this time of calibration and warm up but do not send you a message.

If you get this message constantly it should tell you 2 things:
1. Beware if it is raining as you do not have a full functioning AH & TC
2. You really need to allow the engine to warm up more. Even in warm weather the engine and fluids would benefit from warming up. AND if you drive too soon in cold weather you will cause engine damage.
Just don't be in such a hurry and allow all the systems to calibrate and all the fluids warm up. Be patient, be happy.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Will also get "warm up complete" with a chime once "AH" has finished its routine. :cheers:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DJWorm said:
It has nothing to do with temperature.

It has to do with the unit calibrating. The unit needs about 1 minute to calibrate and self test in an undistirbed mode.

It takes the unit longer to calibrate if you immediately drive the car after starting. This is when you get the message "AH Warming UP". This is indicating to you that the AH & TC is not ready to perform all of its functions. The Calibration and Self Test uses an alternate program if the car is moving which takes longer.

NOTE: There are also other computer systems and programs on the car which also require this time of calibration and warm up but do not send you a message.

If you get this message constantly it should tell you 2 things:
1. Beware if it is raining as you do not have a full functioning AH & TC
2. You really need to allow the engine to warm up more. Even in warm weather the engine and fluids would benefit from warming up. AND if you drive too soon in cold weather you will cause engine damage.
Just don't be in such a hurry and allow all the systems to calibrate and all the fluids warm up. Be patient, be happy.
My situation has nothing to do taking off too early after cranking. It also has nothing to do with temps either I see. I left work and drove 10 miles to a Napa store to buy rotors. I went in & 10 minutes later came back out to leave. I left parking lot and didn't tamper with the traction control button at all and got the message a miles down the road, I did have to make 2 turns to get out of the parking lot but I'm not buying that logic. I "turn" out of my driveway everyday and of work everyday with no issues. Still stumped I guess. I will read the manual to see what it might say.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Craig03SVT said:
is warming up? It's 70 degrees outside, I get in my car that I just drove 10 miles to the store and don't even hit the traction control button, but this message pops up on the the DIC. Why would the active handling need to warm up even in cold temperatures? Please shed some light.

If it has to do or not with temperature I dont know, but mine does it mostly in really cold weather, but it did that once of of these weekend at the strip after I turned out of the lane after my run, I had the AC on, and it was at least 60 degrees and the car was well warm if not hot, so who knows?!!!

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
It can happen during driving if the AH or TC is activated. It may go into a reset or recalibration mode and you may get the message again.

Even if the car is "warmed up" and WARM, temperature has nothing to do with it. You can shut it off and come back in 10 minutes, start it up and drive and get the message. The AC & TC Recalibrates and does a self test every time it is started and posssibly during operation if it is activated. It will warn you it is not done calibrating if it senses any sharp turns, hard acceleration etc.

I frequently park in a parking ramp with a tilt. If I start the car up on this unlevel surface, back out of the space and make the first turn to go down 5 floors I will get the message. If I park on a level end spot, let the car warm up 1 minute after starting before driving, I will not get the message.

I have gotten the message while driving in the rain and after activating the AH & TC.

If you let the car warm up and still get the message then it is time to look at codes and have the system checked.

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
Craig,

Here's one of the replies I just got to the thread over at corvette mechanic site..

There is a 'warm up' routine for the AH system. In part, there is the steering wheel position sensor (SWPS) calibration where you have to go straight for a bit. If you start out by turning, the SWPS can't calibrate and the AH will report it is warming up. This happens a lot to autocrossers that start their car at the line and the course goes into a turn or when people are backing out of their garage or a parking spot and have to turn right away.

In addition, you'll see the warming up message when it is cold out. Below 16F. And if it isn't that cold and you were driving straight, then you need to check the wiring to the Intake Air Temperature (IAT) sensor as a problem here will default to telling the car it's cold.

HTH

·
Z06 WinterFest Coordinator
2,865 Posts
DJWorm said:
Exactly why I idle on grid and do not shut the car off.
I have to turn the wheel within 3 ft of moving out of the driveway! Mine is a daily so I let the car 'warm up' for at least a minute before I start moving!! I have gotten the message when I jump in and take off in a parking lot though!! "Ding Ding", Oh crap , drive straight for a bit!! :lol:

Ken

·
Registered
139 Posts
I get the message quite a bit leaving home, even though it's warmed up.
I back out of the garage, turning 90 degrees, immediately head DOWN my 100 yard dirt driveway with two turns, and onto my dirt road 50 feet below, which has potholes and chatter bumps. On the dirt road after I've leveled out, I often get three DIC messages sorta like this.
1. AH warming up.
2. Warmup complete, "chime".
3. WTF were you DOING !

OK, only the first two. :lol: :thumb:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks JBsZ06, I've been away from the computer for a while and just noticed all the replies to the thread and the very helpful links. I will check them out and see if they help me. I'm now thinking that it was because I backed out and immediately turned out of the Napa store that caused the SWPS to not cailbrate correctly. Thanks again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts