Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18,357 Posts
It is a process of surfacing a metal in order to harden the surface. Finished product looks like little dimples.

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
And I thought that was done with bird shot at 20 yards.
Learn something new everday.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Shot peening is a process used as a decorative finish and/or to modify mechanical properties of metals. It entails impacting a surface with shot (round metallic particles) with force sufficient to create dimples and with enough shot that those dimples overlap. It is similar to sand blasting, except that it operates by the mechanism of plasticity rather than abrasion: each particle functions as a ball-peen hammer. In practice, this means that less material is removed by the process, and less dust created.
Mechanical effects are caused by peening the surface; that is, spreading it plastically in the manner of a rivet. This induces a residual compressive stress at the surface along with tensile stress in the interior, as seen in toughened glass. Such a stress distribution confers resistance to metal fatigue, as well as some forms of corrosion. Cold work is another major result, and serves to harden the material, making cracks less likely to form at the surface and providing resistance to abrasion.

·
Registered
174 Posts
mgarfias said:
Shot peening is a process used as a decorative finish and/or to modify mechanical properties of metals. It entails impacting a surface with shot (round metallic particles) with force sufficient to create dimples and with enough shot that those dimples overlap. It is similar to sand blasting, except that it operates by the mechanism of plasticity rather than abrasion: each particle functions as a ball-peen hammer. In practice, this means that less material is removed by the process, and less dust created.
Mechanical effects are caused by peening the surface; that is, spreading it plastically in the manner of a rivet. This induces a residual compressive stress at the surface along with tensile stress in the interior, as seen in toughened glass. Such a stress distribution confers resistance to metal fatigue, as well as some forms of corrosion. Cold work is another major result, and serves to harden the material, making cracks less likely to form at the surface and providing resistance to abrasion.

:eek: :jammin:

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes its almost ready for installation. I'll probably ship it down to Philly next week, then fly down to pickup when finished. I'll look you up when I come to town.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
MikeyB said:
Yes its almost ready for installation. I'll probably ship it down to Philly next week, then fly down to pickup when finished. I'll look you up when I come to town.

So I guess your Z won't be ready for the fest?

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
mgarfias said:
Was that in your own words? :eek: Man we got some smart people on this board......

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Well, I was going to type it all out and explain it. But I'm lazy, so I just did a search, and 5 secs later google gave me that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts