Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi-
I'm new to the world of Z06's and just moved out to Sacramento from the east coast where I could get 94 octane. Well, it seems like 91 is the best I'm gonna' get out here and was wondering which companies you guys thought were best. I did a search but didn't really find much. Your opinions are greatly appreciated.

I also wanted to thank all of you guys for the imformation already in the site. The car I just bought has some nice modifications and I was able to do plenty of research on here about them. :z: :zboobie:

·
Registered
261 Posts
There are places that sell racing fuel. You will have to do an internet search for places in your area. Otherwise you are stuck with 91 octane.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Chevron 91 (with Techron :jammin: ); I use this grade and brand in all of my vehicles...and nothing else :cheers:

·
Registered
270 Posts
The General recommends 93. Nothing but 93 (or 92) for mine. :jammin:

·
Premium Member
9,756 Posts
Welcome to the site & enjoy your Z.
The other Cali guys can give you some insight.

·
Registered
806 Posts
NOthing but 91 Octane in CA. Oh yea, forget about any mods if you want to stay legal in this redicoulous state. The LEO's put more work into keeping you from having aftermarket exhaust than keeping rapists and sex offenders off the street! :mad:

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I run Chevron 91 and the Z runs just fine.

To Sgt Pyles comment on aftermarket exhaust:
In Califonia they will give you a fix it ticket for modified exhaust ONLY if the issuing officer in his best hearing opinion deems it is too loud.

Since no officer in the state has in their possesion a decibel meter they actually cannot legally write you a ticket for too loud of an exhaust, so they write it for modified exhaust to force you to take it in to be checked. Up until last year all you had to do was go to court and fight it and it got dismissed because no agency in California had decible meters to back up an officers judgment on what 95 decibles sounded like legally.

The law is it has to be under 95 decibles, but the officer can give you a ticket just based on his own hearing abilities and then you HAVE to get it checked at a referee station as they do have a decible meter and will check it at 20" from the exhaust tip. ANYTHING that isnt California Air Resources Board approved exhaust wise will be cause for a failed inspection.

I just received a ticket exactly like this a couple weeks ago on one of our cars and luckily got it taken care of with no hassles :jammin: . Before I had it taken care of I was told by a state board person that they would check under my hood and under the car for the whole exhaust system configuration and NOT only the decible level out the tip. Luckily I never had to take it in to be checked.... :eek:

You can actually arguer with the issuing officer about the avtual decible level and maybe get out of the ticket since a modified exhaust is NOT illegal to do on a car as long as it conforms to the laws for noise.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Race Gas + 91

Downtown Carmichael here.

My Z runs OK on 91. If I want to impress someone I add some 100+ Octane unleaded race gas to it. (about 3 gals of race gas to 12 91 octane) I find a substantial improvement (SOP) to the performance.

when we attended a dyno event in San Jose the guys put a laptop on the OBD2 port and found out that at max power the knock sensors pulled the timing back about 4 degrees over max timing. (On pump 91)

If you use race gas be sure to use Unleaded, as you will foul up the Cats with leaded.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
SInce 91 is all you can buy not much to recommend there. Chevron is the best, especially for our sulphur sensitive fuel gauge sending units. Avoid Phillips 66, QuikTrip and Shell as they are high in sulphur and can cause you fuel gauge problems.

Les

Z064FUN said:
Hi-
I'm new to the world of Z06's and just moved out to Sacramento from the east coast where I could get 94 octane. Well, it seems like 91 is the best I'm gonna' get out here and was wondering which companies you guys thought were best. I did a search but didn't really find much. Your opinions are greatly appreciated.

I also wanted to thank all of you guys for the imformation already in the site. The car I just bought has some nice modifications and I was able to do plenty of research on here about them. :z: :zboobie:

·
Registered
103 Posts
ZO6/Les said:
Avoid Phillips 66, QuikTrip and Shell as they are high in sulphur and can cause you fuel gauge problems.

Les
I you sure about QuickTrip? I'm pretty sure that they are one of the companies that is signed on to the new voluntary cleaner gasoline standard that GM, BMW and others devolped. Since GM has been pushing hard to get gasoline sulfur levels reduced to aid in emissions reductions I would think that lower sulfur would have been part of the new voluntary standard. I have been trying to go to QuickTrip on purpose because of this.

Kevin

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
When I tried QT about a year ago for 2 tanks in a row the problem came back. Possibly they now only purchase from lower sulphur refineries.

Les

hzl6cm said:
I you sure about QuickTrip? I'm pretty sure that they are one of the companies that is signed on to the new voluntary cleaner gasoline standard that GM, BMW and others devolped. Since GM has been pushing hard to get gasoline sulfur levels reduced to aid in emissions reductions I would think that lower sulfur would have been part of the new voluntary standard. I have been trying to go to QuickTrip on purpose because of this.

Kevin

·
Registered
806 Posts
LarryW said:
Chevron 91 (with Techron :jammin: ); I use this grade and brand in all of my vehicles...and nothing else :cheers:
Use Chevron for the Techron so you don't have the gas guage headach like I do. :mah:

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Citgo 93 Octane in N. Illinois.....car runs like a scared rabbit! :jammin: Sorry about the bros in Kaleforniea... :-?

Bob ;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts