Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recall a while back there being talk of a 3v head for the ls2/7 that they were gonna make. That it could even be bolted onto the ls1....am I crazy or did someone else read this as well. I saw pictures even!

Joe

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
It *was* something that was built and tested, they just decided not to use it. I think I heard that head design was going to end up in some trucks.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I mean...if its going into some truck models, I wonder if it will be workable that anyone will take it and test it on the ls1/2

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
I think I heard they couldn't get the power levels they were looking for from these heads (maybe not reliable), so they just upped the cubes. They probably wouldn't fit our blocks. I'm not sure though.

Alex

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
There were 2 options to consider when going to the 427 LS7 to quench it's need for higher flow rates
1. Engineer the 3v head which is more complicated than the 2v head with more moving parts, increased weight, a slave rocker arm etc.
2. Or reengineer the C5R head for production use.

Both concepts produced about the same flow and HP and torque ratings. However the C5R head design was a proven, winning entity. The reengineered LS7 head based on the C5R design had the intake port volume and flow and by mearly increasing the combustion chamber size and the exhaust port volume made it suitable for a production, smog controlled, slightly detuned (as opposed to a full race tune) engine. The LS7 did gain even more efficient from the 3v by offsetting the rocker arm to allow an even larger intake valve.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
DJWorm said:
There were 2 options to consider when going to the 427 LS7 to quench it's need for higher flow rates
1. Engineer the 3v head which is more complicated than the 2v head with more moving parts, increased weight, a slave rocker arm etc.
2. Or reengineer the C5R head for production use.

Both concepts produced about the same flow and HP and torque ratings. However the C5R head design was a proven, winning entity. The reengineered LS7 head based on the C5R design had the intake port volume and flow and by mearly increasing the combustion chamber size and the exhaust port volume made it suitable for a production, smog controlled, slightly detuned (as opposed to a full race tune) engine. The LS7 did gain even more efficient from the 3v by offsetting the rocker arm to allow an even larger intake valve.
Show off. ;)

Thanks for the info.

Alex

1 - 7 of 7 Posts