Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
I don't think they'd get crushed- they'll probably go to training centers.

·
Premium Member
20,625 Posts
GM can park one in my garage for testing!! :thumb:

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
used for crash tests??

·
Registered
562 Posts
It's illegal for GM to sell or distribute them to the public. You can always tell the pre-production ones by their VIN #. The last number is an "X" for experimental, this is why it's illegal; they can't actually be registered by just anybody. :cry:

-from what I've been told

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Most of the pre production cars are not EPA certified and can not be sold to the public for use on highways. Some have different equipment. Some do not meet safety standards. Therefore Most are crushed. Both for legal and liability reasons.

Some are used for preliminary crash tests but most valid crash tests require actual consumer available production line cars.

However, a few might be given to Museums.

Some later Beta cars, test mules and of course production run vehicles are EPA certified and meet all NHTSB safety standards. After these cars have done their duty at the Milford Proving Grounds, Nurburing, Photo & Press shoots, performing EPA emissions tests and milage tests, going on the car show circuit, and being factory and GM Corporate officials cars, etc. they are sold through high volume Chevy Dealers as used vehicles. Some will tell you they were mules others will not. These can be had at a significant discount with the balance of new car warranty intact. They usually have around 10,000 miles on them.

As with any used car purchase, caveat emptor should be forefront in your buying habits concerning these cars. There is no way of telling whether the car was beat to shit at Milford, dropped from a ten story building or driven by the GM VP's wife to get grocery's for 6 months.

The tipoff that it was a GM test mule is that it is being sold as a used car with a new title and has as yet been unregistered but has 10,000 miles on it.

I know that Bud's Chevrolet frequently gets a few of these cars. You have to ask for them.

These cars typically make good starting points for a dedicated race car in a production based class.

While I was living in Bloomfield Hills and working in Flint a saw quite a few of these mules out on I-75 near Milford and Holly, Mich. I passed quite a few on my daily commute and quite a few passed me. A lot of them had tons of computers and instruments on the dash and were probably doing the EPA emissions and mileage certifications and actuall road testing for GM.

Occasionally, when one gets dinged or needs service it will end up at the Chevy dealer in Clarkston, Mich. Once when I stopped in for an oil change there was one sitting there with the hood open and a dent in the left rear quarter panel. When I walked over to look at it the Service Manager ran over and threw a car cover on it and apologized.
"Sorry, you can't look at that."

Car looked kind of funny sitting inside, under a car cover with the hood still up. Looked like an early morning "stiffy" under the sheets !!

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
DJWorm said:
"Sorry, you can't look at that."

That's what the guy at the assembly plant said to me last July when I noticed a Z06 during a walk-through. :)

FWIW, some (and perhaps all) of the VIN cars are offered to what Wil Cooksey described as 'key personnel' as demo/program cars prior to releasing them to the public.

Two weeks ago, he said there were 50-75 cars in the captured test fleet spread out all over the country. He was driving VIN 00048, so there are a fair amount of saleable cars already built.

·
Registered
106 Posts
rwd said:
That's what the guy at the assembly plant said to me last July when I noticed a Z06 during a walk-through. :)

FWIW, some (and perhaps all) of the VIN cars are offered to what Wil Cooksey described as 'key personnel' as demo/program cars prior to releasing them to the public.

Two weeks ago, he said there were 50-75 cars in the captured test fleet spread out all over the country. He was driving VIN 00048, so there are a fair amount of saleable cars already built.
I work at the GM tech center and there have been quite a few around lately. There has been one in mock up for a few week now that I have been in and seen on the hoist. I would love to get some of the GY 325-30-19 tires for my CCW's.

DROID

·
Registered
66 Posts
rwd said:

Last number I heard was between 3-6 produced a day.

These cars you are describing (not prototype, but prior to production) are usually offered for sale as used cars at the end of the test period. Often, they are spoken for well in advance.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts