Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What have you all been paying to mount a new set of tires on your car? Place where I live wants to charge $400 to balances and align tires. Seems pretty high to me.

·
10,998 Posts
That is very excessive especially in a lower cost area like South Carolina. You need to shop around by phone. Tire rack has lists of preferred places by area to get tires mounted since they want to make it easy for people to buy from them instead of locally. I usually take the wheels off and take them to a tire place since they always seem to have problems with a low slung car like a vette.

·
Premium Member
6,325 Posts
I had my local Corvette dealer (where I bought car) mount and balance (inner lip only) a set of F1's on stock Z06 rims for around $130.00

·
Registered
891 Posts
I took my race tires and rims to Walmart. It was $10 per tire to mount, balance and dispose of old tires. They did a fine job. Their tire machine looked almost as nice as the one at the local Corvette repair shop. No marks on rims, small balance weights. No complaints. I talked to their tire buster before I dropped of tires and he seemed to know what he was doing. It isn't rocket science.

NTB wanted $129 for same thing! Corvette shop usually charges $15/tire carry in. Walmart was closer.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Call or go to a Goodyear Service Center and get a price. I'm sure it will be more than half that price, maybe even less.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
$400 is way too much.

·
Registered
86 Posts
shouldn't be more than $10/tire

if they are using and older style mounter, be sure they have the plastic "paddle" guards to keep from scuffing the wheel.

I use a 1 man hole in the wall shop locally, but he's got a brand new Snap On machine that stays off the rims pretty well.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Dragon said:
Call or go to a Goodyear Service Center and get a price. I'm sure it will be more than half that price, maybe even less.

exactly. and while you're there, spend the extra $100 and get the goodyear road hazard deal. if you get a flat or when you replace the tires, you get the new ones at a discount based on the tread depth of the old tires.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I normally pay $15-20 per tire for mounting and balancing. As I move often, I have had to find places that would do the mounting and balancing on our large tires numerous times. I've always had the best service from local import tuner type shops, vice chain tire dealers. The high performance tuner type places are normally into all types of cars, have new equipment, and treat your wheels with more respect than I believe most major chains will. :cheers:

·
Registered
230 Posts
Might want to question that price quote. You wrote it down as "balance and align". Did they quote you to mount and balance the tires and then give the car a 4 wheel alignment? That would be the only thing I can see that would cost that much.

Later ... Larry S.

·
Premium Member
6,847 Posts
guess im' lucky

got a customer of mine that owns a tire shop.. firestone. bfg,, fulken..
he does it for nutin..

that is a good price ..
LOL

·
Premium Member
5,475 Posts
When I got my Chrome wheels, local guy mounted the stock tires on them and road force balanced them for 15 dollars per wheel, and he has a high end tire machine, not a mark on any of the rims! $400 is outrageous!

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
I just paid $100 to mount and balance all four.

·
10,998 Posts
sodian said:
Where did you have it done?

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
sodian said:

That's what I pay at a local shop that knows how to treat them, and takes the time to have all the weights work on the inside of the rim (which sometimes requires remounting during the process).

·
Registered
881 Posts
$50 to de-mount from my old wheels and re-mount and balance all 4 on my new wheels. And, $49 for a great 4-wheel alignment. I've been going to the same place in Boulder for over 20 years. Best guy in Colorado......

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
RalphP said:
$50 to de-mount from my old wheels and re-mount and balance all 4 on my new wheels. And, $49 for a great 4-wheel alignment. I've been going to the same place in Boulder for over 20 years. Best guy in Colorado......
That's a good price.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts