Corvette Z06 Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Some more info. ARE makes cast aluminum pans for a variety of engines, including LS1. One of their offerings, their stage 1 kit, uses the stock oil pump for pressure and a two stage scavenge externally. Since it is only the scavenge, they are able to drive it with the serpentine belt, I think replacing the A/C.

It is probably a version of this system (with one scavenge stage and the pump probably mounted in conjunction with the power steering pump) that is on the LS7.

Their link is **edited**

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
" The new Z06 has a new gauge cluster; to reflect the 7,000 RPM Tachometer and a revised Oil Pressure Guage to reflect the HIGHER SYSTEM PRESSURE of the Dry Sump System."

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
With the dry sump system, must you take any special precautions to avoid getting air in the lines when changing oil?

BTW, good stuff presented above. Thanks.

:)

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
I saw the engine today and although we did not discuss the oil change procedure, I did notice a drain valve on the engine oil pan as well as on the bottom of the reservoir. I might surmise that it would follow somewhat like:

1. Drain Reservoir
2. Fill Reservoir
3. Drain Engine, Remove and replace filter (should be oil filled)
4. Bump Starter but Do NOt START, to prime engine and lines.
5. Top Off reservoir
6. START Engine, run 1 minute
7. Engine OFF
8. Check & Top Off Reservoir
Recheck Reservoir level after next run time.

Most systems will de-Air thru the scavange circuit into the reservoir and breather vent. However if this is a closed system it should be interesting.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Picture references of the LS7 Dry Sump system are now in the C6Z06 Section.

The Pump is a single crankshaft mounted Gerotor with 2 stages (2 gerotors and internal channels

Flow schematic appears to be:

-> Pan Sump -> Pan Scavage Pick UP -> Internal Pan cast Scavange line -> Pump Scavange Boss -> Pump Scavange Stage -> Pump Outlet Pan Boss -> Internal Pan cast Outlet port -> Pan Outlet Boss -> Inlet Line to Engine Oil Cooler -> Engine Oil Cooler -> Oil Cooler Outlet Line -> Reservoir Inlet Boss -> Internal Riser Tube -> Deairator baffles -> Reservoir -> Reservoir Outlet Boss -> Engine Oil Return Line -> Pan Inlet Boss -> Internal Pan Cast Return Line. Pump Pressure Stage inlet Boss -> Pump Pressure Stage -> Engine Inlet Boss -> Internal Engine channel -> Oil Filter Boss -> Oil Filter -> Engine Oil Main Gallery Boss Wngine Main and Supplemntal Galleries ->

It appears.

·
Banned
2 Posts
***edited***
Links, as well as advertising, are not allowed on the site by or for non site sponsors. If you are interested in becoming a site vendor, please contact one of the administrators. Thanks for your cooperation.
MikesZ06

·
Registered
1 Posts
" The new Z06 has a new gauge cluster; to reflect the 7,000 RPM Tachometer and a revised Oil Pressure Guage to reflect the HIGHER SYSTEM PRESSURE of the Dry Sump System."

I suspect that GM runs the system at a higher pressure as a way to incrementally extend its G rating for a given time period with minimal cost. Higher pressures compress entrained air and bring the behavior of the oil closer to that of an ideal fluid.

The old 10 psi per 1000 rpm rule for wetsumps is a heuristic based on the same situation. It does work up to a point.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Can someone help me please
I’m swapping a 2015 z06 LT4 in my 1955 belair and this engine got me going nuts with a few things

On the dry sump engines is there a in and out on the oil lined going to the pan?
Does anyone have a pig tail for the factory antifreeze pump for super charger?

21 - 30 of 30 Posts