Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is column lock? What does it do? What triggers it? Does an 01 Z have it? What does the by-pass kit do and is it advisable to get it? Thanks in advance:D :D

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
The column lock...

.... is one of the anti-theft devices on most late model cars. You know how the steering wheel locks when you shut off the engine and pull out the key???? Thats column lock.

Problem is on some Vettes and Camaros it doesn't unlock sporadically when the key is reinserted and the ignition turned on rendering the car undrivable. Hence the need to have it flat bedded to a Dealer for repair. This can be a real pain in the butt if your in the middle-of-nowhere or are in a hurry!!

It happened to me once and the dealer sent the Service Manager to the Parking Ramp where I was as the tow truck couldn't load my car in the ramp due to height clearance. See what I mean about pain in the butt.

A few company's sell a kit to by pass the column lock but that also dissables that part of the theaft deterent system."Yous pays your money, yous takes your chances!"

Chevy is supposed to have a fix for it though and pre 2001 cars have a recall notice. But I haven't seen one for 2001. I thimk Chevy's attitude is If it happens to you we'll pay for the tow under warranty and do the fix when it gets to the garage.

BTW, the Service manager was able to get mine going in the ramp and I took it immediately to the Dealer to get it fixed with out shutting it off. Took a day, and they even gave my a 2001 coupe to drive.

You never know when or if its going to happen, and Murphy's Law will take over, ie it will happen when you are going to your Wedding or have just been called in to perform Emergency Heart Surgery. Likely mine happened in the ramp at the Hospital after we had completed the Surgery.

So wait for it to happen, buy the kit, or I would take it to my Chevy Dealer and tell them that it happened to me, but Iwas able to get it unlocked and give them a song and dance how the have to fix it as your "On-Call" for Emergency Brain Surgery. I wouldn't wait.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts