Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi again

what is the normal oil and engine coolant temp supposed to be ...under normal driving.

I got worried tonight, because,

#1, my check light (OBD II) appeared on the dash. Everything seems fine performance wise (and i think the light probably came on cause i had an engine wash 2 days ago, the car was also parked in a semi-humid under ground parking garage)

#2 I noticed as i continued to drive, when i got into some slow moving traffic in the down town area, my oil and engine coolant temp started to rise to about 100 deg Celcius for engine coolant, and about 102 degrees for oil temp.

any thoughts?

(P.S. I also had my oil changed 2 days ago with the engine wash)

thanks for any help

·
Registered
709 Posts
I'm sure the real experts will chime in but the temp seems normal to me. These cars run pretty hot w/ stock thermostat and mine rises pretty high sitting in traffic. I also agree with your other thread. Chances are the engine getting wet is causing the codes. See what happens after a few days of drying out. Al

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Basically, the coolant and oil temps will be around 194~195 deg F while cruising mellow (65 mph in 6th gear) down the hiway.

In city stop and go driving I have seen coolant and oil temps in the 210~220 deg F range without the AC on. If you turn on the AC the radiator fans will come on and the coolant temp will run a little cooler that 220.

Sounds like your temps are normal. :cheers:

·
Registered
289 Posts
aclar said:
I'm sure the real experts will chime in but the temp seems normal to me. These cars run pretty hot w/ stock thermostat and mine rises pretty high sitting in traffic. I also agree with your other thread. Chances are the engine getting wet is causing the codes. See what happens after a few days of drying out. Al
Crruisin'...Coolant 190-194F Up To 225F in traffic, then fans come on. Oil usually 190-220F...depending on outside temp.
Also..get underneath front & check radiator...I recently found a Hostess Twinkie wrapper...Shop-Rite Bag...tree bark...leaves...& a dollar bill bill stuck up there :eek:

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok, thanks for the tips guys, the coolant was about that 225F in stop and go traffic, i was getting nervous, so i did turn on the fan/ventilator to try and cool off the engine.

i will try and take a look to see if the front rad fans are blocked or something. anyway, just being on the safe side!
thanks everyone

·
Registered
844 Posts
I agree with all the above. I rarely see oil temp over 212F. When I get stuck in traffic--just turn on A/C AND RECIRCULATE. That will bring and keep temps down nicely. That info is in (English) shop manual and also told that by dealer when I purchased the beast. :z:

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wait a second, you turn on the A/C ? Wouldn't that make it worse cause you are putting addional strain on the motor with the compressor on, and thus making it over heat even more?

I am going to have to read my manual....

·
Registered
844 Posts
Yes, correct. I don't have my Shop Manual in front of me, but turning on the A/C turns on one of the fans on high-I think--BUT then going to recirculate turns on both fans on high --or something like that. Trust me--that is the real word-and if it works here in tropical south florida--it will work anywhere. :crazy:

·
Registered
806 Posts
ZeeOhSix said:
Basically, the coolant and oil temps will be around 194~195 deg F while cruising mellow (65 mph in 6th gear) down the hiway.

In city stop and go driving I have seen coolant and oil temps in the 210~220 deg F range without the AC on. If you turn on the AC the radiator fans will come on and the coolant temp will run a little cooler that 220.

Sounds like your temps are normal. :cheers:
:yeadog: :yeadog: :thumb:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Have your fans adjusted to come on earlier (lower temps) and change out your thermostat to one with a lower setting. Many posts on this subject...look them up.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
mannygmt2 said:
wait a second, you turn on the A/C ? Wouldn't that make it worse cause you are putting addional strain on the motor with the compressor on, and thus making it over heat even more?

I am going to have to read my manual....
Turning on the A/C makes both fans come on at full speed and will lower the temperature :cheers:

·
Registered
13 Posts
It is accurate that with the AC on your second fan will come at a lower temp but it's still too hot IMHO. If you want your temps to run say in the 175-185 coolant area and oil around 10-15 degrees higher for oil during traffic times and in hot weather, consider tuning to have fans come on say around 175 coolant or so rather than the 225 coolant temps or higher nonsense. An oil cooler will help as well for oil temps (almost a must need if you track). Again many posts on the subject...do a search and you'll get some very good advice.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts