Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

This is my first post. I'm ready to buy a new Z now. I like the looks of the EB. However, from reading lots of posts, I'm not sure what a good price is. I've seen offers around MSRP (within $500). I haven't seen anything like 3-4K under MSRP yet, so I guess I'm looking in the wrong places. I'd like to buy now and get GM financing, but if I can find 3-4K under MSRP then I'll just handle financing myself (If that means taking delivery after GM deal is over). Please offer advise to the new guy on the block with respect to what a good price is an how to get it. THANKS!!!

Phil
Hopeful new Z owner.

P.S. I live in VA, if that matters. I'd like to get car shipped to me there. Thanks again!:)

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Phill,

First off Big welcome aboard, right choice on a Z. Prices, best thing to do is get in touch with our forum dealers, We know the have inv and are under msrp. Poke around lots to learn and great place to learn it..................

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
As I posted on the "Cars for Sale" forum a few days ago, the supply on 02 Z06s is getting very tight right now due to the approching shut down of the BG plant for the holidays. The # of Zs being allocated to dealers is a lot less now than 2 to 3 weeks ago. I would think that 80 to 90 % of the avalb. Zs for the 0.0% have been sold by now. We have one of the largest allocation for 02 Z06s in the country and our allocations have been cut by 65% in the last 2 weeks. If you can find a 02 Z that will be on a dealers lot before the 0.0% ends and can get it for MSRP or a few hundred less then I would say jump on it. The supply will only get tighter untill the end of Jan. or the first of Feb. 2002:)

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
Check with all of our forum vendors, there are a few around right now that are discounted..........though you probably wont get it before the 0.0 thing........

JC

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
how about after 0.0

Thanks for the input. I did in fact contact the dealers here last week and got responses from each. None had exactly what I was looking for due to timing, but were quite helpful nonetheless. I will continue poking around and would consider ordering from them for the right price as they all seem to have good attention to detail/customer service and I have read of the many good experiences here on the site.

Another question: what about prices after the 0.0%? I assume fewer folks purchase in the winter. Any predictions from folks out there on what new order prices will be? I don't really want to wait, but I have funds to buy it without 0.0 and would do so for the right price.

Also, has anyone worked with Ken @ the Vetnet? What has been your experience?

Finally, how about having your Z shipped to you after it reaches the dealer. i.e. I find a vette across the country, buy it, and then get it shipped to me. Does that make anyone nervous? Do folks typically find problems with their Z on delivery that need correction or are they pretty much perfect out of the box. Thanks again for your help and for the welcome.

Phil

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
In my opinion, whenever GM decides to discontinue the financing rates, prices of new cars will drop......like a rock! I think that GM is getting a lot of future sales (ie people who were going to wait to buy a car but went ahead due to low rates) and will experience a huge decline in auto sales later on. Prices will always reflect supply and demand. Right now demand is relatively high due to the 0% interest, but I firmly believe that you can get a better deal on the price if you wait a little while longer. It appears that the interest rates aren't that big of a concern to you, so make sure you get the car you want. If you can find one in time to take advantage of the rates, terrific. If not, hang on and watch those prices FALL. Just my .02. :D

·
Registered
568 Posts
Welcome Phil!

Prior to the 0%, I have heard of some getting 4K off. But that is very rare, and you really have to be in the right place at the right time (or have a prior relationship).

If you can wait, you have Winter and the economy working in your favor. If you're really going to hold out for a bargain, I would check with dealers with reasonable allocation in COLD states.

I must point out that waiting is pretty tough. Hanging out here has made it a Lot easier, and you will be very well prepared for when you get the car. But watching person after person join the site, ask some questions and then get their car out of stock while you wait for your discounted order is TOUGH!

But hey, move fast and you too can have your Z06 before me! :lol:

Regarding cross-country delivery.. You have two choices. Hiring a carrier to deliver a car that is currently in stock. We've had members who have had great luck with that, and others who have been kept waiting for weeks by carriers who are otherwise well regarded (scheduling issues). A little pricey - around $1800 for first class cross-country.

The other is to take a 'Courtesy Delivery'. This is where the destination dealer for an order is different than the selling dealer. There is typically a $150-$250 charge for this. If you have a good local dealer, you're set. If you have a mediocre dealer, you may still be okay if you can get them to be 'hands off' with the car.

I'm currently waiting for my Z06 to reach my CD in Portland. The selling dealership is back in Michigan.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good information

Thanks for the comments! I'm really glad I found this site with lots of folks going through the process or already completed it. Best of luck with the new Z in Portland. You are both right that waiting is the hardest part.

Phil

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Welcome, Phil !

If you can wait, try ordering one with the exact options you want - I know there aren't many options, but just omitting one ption you don't want saves money. Also, consider orering and getting the museum delivery. It is a fantastic way to start life with a new Vette. We even have videos of members picking up their Vettes at the NCM :)

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Welcome Phil,

Regarding shipping across country.I just had my Z shipped from Georgia to California using intercity lines.Very professional service.I would use them again.There site is www.intercitylines.com. You can see my delivery pictures in the member rides section.Good luck to you.:)

·
Premium Member
20,626 Posts
Welcome Phil from another newbie. :cheers: I just bought my 01 (new)for 2000 off msrp and 0% financing from a dealer here in Md. I thought it was a good buy since the DC area is notorious for 5000 dollar markups.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just "got" my Z

Folks, thanks for your encouragement!

Well, Ken & Ron at the Vettenet found me an EB Z in Indiana. I just talked to the dealer & based on your input and my desire to wait no longer, I'm getting it! It's on the truck to them now and should arrive next week, enabling me to take the financing deal. I'm going with 48/.9. I am about 90% sure I will wind up going there and driving it home, but doing 55 for 500 miles will be tough. Thus, I'm still contemplating having it shipped to me in VA.

Anyone out there living in Ossian, Indiana want to swing by the dealer and give her a look for me next week? Also, please provide recommended break-in procedure/driving for a trip like that, (It's 600 miles to VA, do I stop for an oil change after 500?)

Phil
:p

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Torched, about shipping

Torched, this is probably a dumb question, but did you inspect the car prior to shipping from GA or have someone do it? How did you know it would be OK, etc.?

Phil

·
Registered
568 Posts
Well, Ken & Ron at the Vettenet found me an EB Z in Indiana. I just talked to the dealer & based on your input and my desire to wait no longer, I'm getting it! It's on the truck to them now and should arrive next week, enabling me to take the financing deal. I'm going with 48/.9.
Sweet! You may yet have your Z before me!
doing 55 for 500 miles will be tough.
Don't sweat it. I don't think the 50 mph limit is all that important. Varying the speed is more important. Keep the load low - that means no acceleration in 6th at low revs. Really, I wouldn't worry about it much.

A lot of folks believe the break-in is mostly for the clutch, trans, diff and brakes. That's where most of the 'wear-in' occurs. I think the lower speed is more safety for you and the car should some problem arise during break-in.

There have been many threads on this.. Search for
break-in.

Don't worry about changing the oil until later. Then you can worry about whether that's at 600 or 1600 or 6000 miles. Opinions vary on that. In the old days it was important to replace the filter soon to get rid of filter clogging additives used to prevent cam lobe scuffing. That isn't the case anymore.

You may wish to download and view the Z06 owners video (available in the media section). I'd save it to disk.

Look at it this way.. You'll get home and the break-in will be DONE!

You might want to stop and let the car cool a few times during the trip (probably overkill)..

·
Registered
496 Posts
Congrats!!!

Phil,

Congratulations on the new Z!!! I am glad to see everything work out for you. Please let us know how everything goes!

:cheers:

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
Re: Torched, about shipping

Phil Danner said:
Torched, this is probably a dumb question, but did you inspect the car prior to shipping from GA or have someone do it? How did you know it would be OK, etc.?

Phil
When Gregs car came in and had been PDIed I checked out the car myself from top to bottom. I had it cleaned up covered up and put in our cleanup shop awaiting Intercity to pick it up. When they got their they checked it out as well before putting it on the truck and putting a car cover on it then wrapping it up in plastic. This is one option of buying a Vette that most people don`t think about, buying out of state out of a dealers inventory and having it shipped to them. The cost of this is not as bad as you might think.:)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's in my garage!

Just wanted to let you know, I wound up having it shipped as I couldn't get away from work last Friday. It arrived Wednesday and I had it out a couple of days before it started raining (No rain here in VA for like 2 months. The farmers can thank me for getting the Z :)

Anyway, thanks for the support and advise. It's fun to feel like a kid in a candy store!

Phil

·
Registered
641 Posts
Phil Danner said:
Hi everyone,

This is my first post. I'm ready to buy a new Z now. I like the looks of the EB. However, from reading lots of posts, I'm not sure what a good price is. I've seen offers around MSRP (within $500). I haven't seen anything like 3-4K under MSRP yet, so I guess I'm looking in the wrong places. I'd like to buy now and get GM financing, but if I can find 3-4K under MSRP then I'll just handle financing myself (If that means taking delivery after GM deal is over). Please offer advise to the new guy on the block with respect to what a good price is an how to get it. THANKS!!!

Phil
Hopeful new Z owner.

P.S. I live in VA, if that matters. I'd like to get car shipped to me there. Thanks again!:)

Invoice for the 2001 Z06 is $41,873. MSRP is $47,855. Considering dealers holdback is 3% of MSRP, the dealer is making $5,982 plus $1,435 for dealer holdback, totaling $7,417. Realistically, the car should be bought for $43,000 which is $4,855 under MSRP, but still $1,127 over invoice, now add the $1,435 in holdback, and the dealer is still making $2,562. Seems like a fair profit for the dealer to me. Salesman will get about $250 in commission, which is the average a car salesman makes on each sale. If you pay $43,000 you still have to add destination charges of $645, and tax % for your state. So, since TMV (true market value) is $48,155 and dealers are selling even above that, they are making some whopping profit on the Z06. If a dealer sells the Z06 for $55,000, he is making $13,127, plus holdback of 3% which is $1,435. Add that together and you have a fantastic profit of $14,562. YOU, could actually buy a second car for that! Just something to think about. When purchasing new or used cars, a great resource is "Edmonds.com" and "Beat The Car Salesman" websites. Happy reading!......Father Larry

1 - 18 of 18 Posts