Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just installed the new ceramic brake pads it had a white color lube that i was suppose to put some where but the instructions were not clear so i didn't? What is this lube for?

·
Registered
18,357 Posts
MrKool said:
i just installed the new ceramic brake pads it had a white color lube that i was suppose to put some where but the instructions were not clear so i didn't? What is this lube for?
It's included for you to put on the sliding surfaces.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
PerforminNorman said:
It's included for you to put on the sliding surfaces.

what sliding surface? from the picture wot i agthered was it was suppose to go on the outer side of the brake pads the side that is not facing the rotors. What is the purpose of this lube?

·
Registered
18,357 Posts
MrKool said:
what sliding surface? from the picture wot i agthered was it was suppose to go on the outer side of the brake pads the side that is not facing the rotors. What is the purpose of this lube?
Exactly. It helps reduce squealing by reducing vibrations.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
so is it that big of a deal that i should re-open the wheels and calipers to put it on ???

there was still lube on the guiding pin already.

·
Registered
116 Posts
You want to put it on the sliding surfaces of the pads to help them release properly. Also put some on the guide pins of the calipers. The sliding surfaces are the sections that touche the hardware of the bracket for the caliper. If you set the pad back in its place, you'll see where it goes. Just make sure its lube and not an anti-squealent, because the anti-squealent would go on the the back of the pad to help absorb vibration. All you need is a light coat on the sliding surfaces.

One thing you might want to do if your reusing your rotors, is sand them lightly in a non directional way so you don't glaze your new pads and rotors.

·
Registered
116 Posts
There's no need to grease the back of the pad, just the contact points that slide, and the guide pins.

·
Registered
902 Posts
The grease is for the GUIDE PINS! have never seen grease on the back of brake pads or pad contact points.
How many of you have done the brakes on your vette? was there any grease on the pads?
Think about it, first is the possibility of contaminating the pads with grease. Second the grease will attract and hold brake dust, dirt and sand. Just perfect for a bearing surface.

Sabot

1 - 13 of 13 Posts