Corvette Z06 Forum banner

What Is This?

832 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  sodian 
#1 ·
Does anyone know (dumb question for this group) what this little rod on the left is for? I visited the NCM this week and took this picture of the C5 rolling chassis. It appears to actuate another device as the A arm moves up and down
Does it have something to do with the active handling? Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
I think you are talking about the suspension position sensor:

The Electronic Suspension Control system, also known as the Magneto-Rheological Real Time Damping (MRRTD) system independently controls the fluid viscosity in each of the four shock absorbers in order to control the vehicle ride characteristics. The ESC system is capable of making these changes within milliseconds. The ESC system consists of the following major components:
- The electronic suspension (ESC) module
- The front/rear position sensors
- The front/rear adjustable shock absorbers
- The shock absorber electrical actuators, which are
integrated within the shock absorbers.

The ESC controls the damping mode selection according to the following factors:
- The vehicle speed
- The chassis pitch input
- The steering position
- The body to wheel displacement

The ESC module evaluates these inputs in order to separately control the shock absorbers, providing an enhanced ride and comfort level over the widest possible range of operating conditions

Hope this helps! :cheers:

#3 ·
Thanks Speedratchet,
I believe that that rolling chassis was built in 1998 before those shocks were available. :-?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.