Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_mad.gif Driving in Ohio on the freeway, I got 32-33 mpg. After the first CA fill-up my freeway mileage dropped to 28 mpg and stayed there.
I went to Reno NV for HAN and got the 32-33 mpg again on the NV gas./phpBB/images/smiles/icon_flaming.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_flaming.gif

·
Registered
282 Posts
It could be the MTBE and the lower octane, but that's just a guess. Too bad I didn't catch you when you were passing through Reno. I would have loved to get a ride as that would certainly make the wait easier. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Well, we're running alcohol now, not MTBE. But alcohol has about 1/2 the power of gasoline. So basically, our gas sucks.

I noticed the same thing after my museum delievery. Gas milage dropped 3-5 mpg after entering CA.

I love this crappy state.

Welcome to the People's Republic of California, comrade.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif Hey, Beggar
I was with a group of Syclone & Typhoon enthusiasts. Most of them didn't mind that I brought the Z06 and a lot of them had to have demo rides /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_cool.gif

·
Registered
1,058 Posts

On 2001-08-09 18:20, mgarfias spewed forth this drivel:
Well, we're running alcohol now, not MTBE. But alcohol has about 1/2 the power of gasoline. So basically, our gas sucks.

I noticed the same thing after my museum delievery. Gas milage dropped 3-5 mpg after entering CA.

I love this crappy state.

Welcome to the People's Republic of California, comrade.

Sorry Mgarf,

But this time I question your info. MTBE is still the additive of record in CA. Moreover, alcohol puts out substantially more horsepower than gasoline, a fact well known to Indy 500 drivers and to the World of Outlaws who run on alcohol.

I suspect the california mileage has more to to with traffic patterns in Ca versus Ohio and Nevada.

I do agree with you, however, about the general nonsense that makes a once great state now less than average.

jerboa /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

·
Registered
282 Posts
Jerboa is right, CA is still using MTBE but it being phased out and eventually will be replaced with ethanol. But because the CA refineries don't want to pay the extra money for the soon-to-be-required amount of ethanol they lowered the octane rating to 91.

I never liked CA and after every time I visit it I'm glad to be back in Nevada. With the sky-rocketing living cost over there and like half of the ever-increasing population consisting of illegal immigrants, no thanks.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I have been adding 3 Gal. Trick 100 Race gas to 15 Chevron Supreme. Seems to help, but no way to get any numbers. Don't care about mileage, just performance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts