Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally decided to buy an 02 Z06 .Now Iam searching like crazy.I have decided to try to find one with a few mods already installed since Iam in Ohio and dont know anyone around here that works on them.Anyway I found this one here a couple of hours away its an 02 , quicksilver,19,900 miles for 31.500 and Iam not real familiar with everything on these right now.Iam going to see if i can get a picture attached.

·
Registered
153 Posts
It's an RM Racing twin intake. I believe Volante make one that is similar. The red coupler to the thottle body is also a after market replacement for the OEM accordian coupler.

They work well. I have the RM Racing part. It is GM supported - in fact you can buy it from GM in their accessories catalog.

I recently had a tune and got the tuner to check the manifold pressure at WOT and it was at atmospheric pressure - meaning that the intake presents no measureable restriction.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
It's not the air flow that gives you more power it's colder tems that help... that's the RM twin-flow.

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
Cobra4B said:
It's not the air flow that gives you more power it's colder tems that help... that's the RM twin-flow.
Actually, volume and density contribute to higher hp potential.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
^ I know but I was speaking over stock... the stock does flow well, but the a/m ones give you more cold air.

·
Premium Member
9,755 Posts
That looks like it would pull in hot engine compartment air. It is probably not a problem if the car is moving forward at a pretty good speed, but at a light (i.e., drag racing) it would seem that it would ingest hot air, thus reducing the density of the intake charge. Am I wrong ?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is great I did not know i would get this much help and info from this post. This will be my first vette and the 02 Z06 is the one that I want from researching.It sounds the best bang for the buck.Why do you think it would pull hot air at idle ? dont most of the set ups pull hotter air at idle anyway ? I would not think it matters at idle when you are moving is when you want the most open air flow.Liston to me Iam talking like I know something here.HA HA Anyway I might go look at the car and see what its like,keep the replies coming and any tips on checking out a Z06 for the first time ?Thanks.

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
Not that I know all that much either but, I always thought that the twin filters like that caused turbulence in the intake and were not ideal. :-?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I read that in some older post also,but the RM web site claims a 14hp increase but ofcourse they sell them also.You would think they did some pretty good research to back it up though.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
The best system is a real cold air system that gets the air from out side of the engine bay. Systems like the Vortex Rammer from Breathless or the Vararam are true cold air systems. There are a couple of others. The system in the picture will flow a bit more air than the stock air box but will still be getting its air from the engine bay.

The engine bay temperatures are extremely warm which is bad for horse power. The cooler air combined with better flow makes the most horsepower. Those systems will also perform even better at speed.

·
Registered
971 Posts
And the winner is Case2307

"Not that I know all that much either but, I always thought that the twin filters like that caused turbulence in the intake and were not ideal."

You would be correct.

The best intakes

Halltech Trap(I prefer this one as it does block the existing ducts and uses the front of the car(highest pressure)

Vararam

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
2001Z06 said:
The best system is a real cold air system that gets the air from out side of the engine bay. Systems like the Vortex Rammer from Breathless or the Vararam are true cold air systems. There are a couple of others. The system in the picture will flow a bit more air than the stock air box but will still be getting its air from the engine bay.
Yep.

The turbance issue can be a concern, but if during driving the car you don't feel it surging, then don't worry about it.

You may want to replace this down the road but if pass the above drive test, it's not a deal stopper.

Good Luck :thumb:

·
Z06 Master
6,137 Posts
Welcome to your new home and you have met some the family. :z: :z: :z:

I have a Blackwing on mine and had never had any issues.

Later on you could peruse the for sale section. There are always great deals to be had.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hi Brianss1 -

Yup - It's an RM Twin-Air.

I have one on my 99 coupe -

On a Z06 with the screens in front, you will be getting cooler air from under the front crossmember, particularly when the car is moving.

It seems like a nice setup so far - very happy with it!

I have a Halltech TRAP system on my Z06.

best regards -

mqqn

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Good luck in your search for a car.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
2001Z06 said:
The best system is a real cold air system that gets the air from out side of the engine bay.
This is why I am working on zip-tying a 10,000 BTU air conditioning unit directly to my hood and funneling the cold air directly into my intake. It doesnt look very good cause I had to cut a hole in the front of the hood. It also affects the areodynamic of the car. But it doesnt really matter cause the extension cord keeps unplugging itself after 25 feet. :lol:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts