Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Z06 Power Adder Authority
3,265 Posts
I assume you mean, which ones lose less $$ when you go to sell the car. You will _never_ get 100% return on the mods you put into the car. Whether its something as simple as an airbridge or shifter knob, or something as radical as a built motor with turbos or a blower riding shotgun... you just never get it all back. Often times you get less than 50% back. That's why people who mod their cars significantly either 1) have an incredible amount of disposable income to blow and/or 2) keep the car for a long, long time.

I'd say the mods that lose the _least_ amount of $$ over time are the ones that are the least "invasive". Engine mods often hurt resale value b/c there are lots of buyers who won't touch that. They're concerned the car has been beaten on, or there are some sort of underlying problems that will come with the car (and thus are the reason the owner is selling in the first place after dropping a lot of $$ into it). Simple stuff like a CAI, CAGS delete, maybe exhaust are not going to get you much, if any, more when you sell it, but they won't usually hurt the value either. Wheels usually don't hurt either, but oftentimes that's a personal taste item and so some buyers will like them, some won't. Same with interior decor mods.

If you do extensive engine mods, then IMHO, it pays to have a nationally known shop do the work... in my case 21st Century Musclecars and Lingenfelter Performance. :) And even then, forget getting close to the $$ invested.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
There are no mods that add value. The closest thing to a mod that can retain it's value is a GMPP extended warranty.

·
Registered
709 Posts
The mods that add the most to the value of the car are the ones the new owner wants the most. ;)

Al

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
aclar said:
The mods that add the most to the value of the car are the ones the new owner wants the most. ;)

Al

:yeadog: second that. Someone that has done their homework on mods and what they want. Depends on the buyer. Majority of buyers out there want stock cars, a small percentage want something already modded.

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
Mods? Not driving it, and lots of polishing are the only mods that seem to slow down Corvette depreciation.

:)

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Agree with WA2FST,

Basically, you don't recoupe the investment when selling the car. If you're worried about gettin the money back, don't mod the car. Or, if you're like me, you get so upside down you don't even look at the numbers anymore.

·
Registered
971 Posts
A, "WELL," modded car will sell easily, if marketed correctly. The problem is, many have been someone's experiment.

I get uninvited offers on my car at least once every couple of months. I would not recover all my mod money and where else would I find a car, that does everything mine does now, for the same, "price."

·
Banned
809 Posts
When I go to look for a used car, I look for a car that hasn't been modified. Everyone wants a cream puff. A car that has been heavily modded can indicate that the previous owner drove the car like he stole it.

Sal

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It seems like the 427 upgrades help maintain or slow depreciation somewhat. Some of the twin-turbo setups hold their value pretty well. These are very expensive mods but they do seem to retain some value.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
jason31 said:
It seems like the 427 upgrades help maintain or slow depreciation somewhat. Some of the twin-turbo setups hold their value pretty well. These are very expensive mods but they do seem to retain some value.

The Gentleman with the 2003 TT 427 on the west coast was a no sale at 80,000 on EBay. That car cost over a 125,000 to buy and build. I used to say that you get 40 to 50% return on your mods. I'm not sure that true anymore. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
jason31 said:
We spend a lot of money on mods. Which ones give the greatest return when selling our cars?
If you going to sell it, one of the most important key thing on any car that the buyer always looks at is tires, Carmax will give you a thousand or two more just because you have new or almost new tires :yeadog:

luis

·
Registered
736 Posts
Z06 Vette.com cling on.

Only ONE. It is the little www.z06vette.com cling on I have on my back window. :jammin:

I have had a few z06vette.com members come up to me at Carlisle on account of it. Now thats value... :ity:

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
If you're concerned about resale, keep your stock parts, then de-mod the car before you sell. You'll get more in total selling the car stock and selling the mods separately.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
dmtnt said:
If you're concerned about resale, keep your stock parts, then de-mod the car before you sell. You'll get more in total selling the car stock and selling the mods separately.
:yeadog: :yeadog: :yeadog: :thumb:

·
21,378 Posts
I've kept all my stock parts to put it back to orginal if I ever decide to do so. However, there is a gentleman in our Corvette club who wants to buy my car in a bad way. I asked him "With or without the mods?" His reply, "Are you crazy? With of course!" But he knows I take care of my car and I don't beat it. That makes a difference.

·
Administrator
21,250 Posts
I would tend to agree heavily with everything that Wes and the others have said. The only possible exception I can think of would be certain type of cosmetic mods, such as Carvaggio or Vette Essentials interior upgrades. I don't even know this for sure because I don't know what type of cost are involved, but you may find the buyer willing to spend the extra money on bling-bling type of modifications.

Mike

·
Registered
70 Posts
IMO no mods "add value" they will most likely subtract value. Most buyers want a "clean machine" not one that has been altered. But I suppose if you add thousands of dollars worth of go fast goodies and find someone who wants those particular items you could find a buyer. But in my experience in buying and selling used cars, most folks look for unmolested, stock cars.

trebor

1 - 20 of 27 Posts