Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, brothers & sisters, help me with my decisions here .... I'm sure that this will get talked to death @ Z06 fest, but I wanna start early....
First off, I DRIVE MY CAR. Every day. To work. To the store. ETC. Well, I get the truck out for snow..... And I drive it like I stole it every time. :D
I already have Borla Stingers, a Hurst, and a blackwing and bridge
Soooo, which path? Just longtubes and a tune? Heads n' cam? Lingenfelter Magnasson? C5R 427 ? Darton 427? All of these are being actively considered. :yeadog: I plan on driving this car for a looong time so durablility is important here. Very important.
Oh ya the wife said ok to all this, as long as she gets her Cobra... :lol:

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
All depends on the size of your wallet
Headers then later Heads and cam :z: :z:

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I don't think there is an absolute limit to the mods you can do, and still have a good DD. There will be compromises depending on your capacity for maintenence issues. If you have the $$ for virtually limitless mods, I'd go with big cubes, and leave it NA. TT, and other power adders are more effective for HP gains, but put a strain on the drivetrain. (Hey, that rhymes!) :D But seriously, unless you race, I'd go with a 427/447 type motor with a relatively mild cam, and of course headers. Also you'd want to upgrade the clutch, and get the stronger halfshafts. Virtually nobody could keep up with you, and it should be mostly trouble-free. From what I've heard, the Darton sleeved blocks are fine, unless you're endurance racing. Good luck, I wish I had your decisions to make. :thumb:

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
My suggestion for an everyday driver would be the intercooled magnuson ...its about 8 grand installed with painted hood at various times of the year and with the 200 dollar full drivetrain warranty for 36K/36 months...Its a pretty cool way to go..

Figure out all the bits and pieces that add up with doing a heads and cam and your dollars are so close..I'd suggest the S/c..on a daily driver.

It drives like stock till you put your foot down and then your over 500hp..

No headers...no new cam...no throttle body...no ASP pully's...

Just the intercooled magnuson supercharger kit.

If you really don't want to go with the supercharger...

Then do the LG or kooks headers for between 1800 and 2 grand installed. Nice ls edit session should put you at between 380 rwhp and 390 rwhp......(if you have a 2002 or newer Z)

I believe its the design

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Look at my sig, currently i drive it every day. I sold my other car and am looking for another. I take it everywhere, no problems and ALOT of fun.

·
Registered
596 Posts
exSSer said:
But seriously, unless you race, I'd go with a 427/447 type motor with a relatively mild cam, and of course headers. Also you'd want to upgrade the clutch, and get the stronger halfshafts. Virtually nobody could keep up with you, and it should be mostly trouble-free. From what I've heard, the Darton sleeved blocks are fine, unless you're endurance racing. Good luck, I wish I had your decisions to make. :thumb:
I cannot agree more. If you want the specs for a daily driver with a 447 like I originally had that made over 600 RWHP on pump fuel I can give you some input. I'm not going to hijack this post so PM me and I will give you all the info you need. Ask anyone who knows my car the first time I had it before I did all the crazy stuff to it. IMHO the 447 or 457 these days N/A is great! My car moved then and it moves even faster now. Get back to me if you want to know more. Good Luck! :cheers:

·
Registered
239 Posts
The wear and tear and high dollar of forced induction made me go with LG headers. Check my sig, wouldn't not drive it everyday if you paid me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts