Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the corvette world. I really like the 03/04 Z06 and am looking to buy within the next 6 months. My concern is the comparison of the Z06 to the C5 of the same model year range, 03/04. I have a friend that wons a C5 and says that he drove both before his purchase. He says the Z06 rides alot rougher and has alot more "noise" compared to his C5 which rides like a Cadillac to be honest. He said the Z06 had noticably more power, but other than that, just didnt offer the extras as the C5. My question is, what does the Z06 NOT have thats so important? I know the removable top is one, which I can live without. I have a Jeep wrangler to drive when I want the wind in my hair. But is the ride and "amenities" of the Z06 that much worse than the C5?

·
Premium Member
12,352 Posts
The Z06 is the high performance Vette, it is a street legal race car, meant for the track (road race or drag strip). It is setup from the factory to perform well on the road course, and thus does not have all the frills of the Coupe or the Vert. It has a true sports suspension, which is rougher during day to day driving, but cannot be beaten if you ever want to track the car.

Its not for everyone, but if you are looking for the a Vette that has the best performance and can be used on the street or the track, then the Z is your car. If you are looking for a Vette that is more for daily driving, looks good, rides nice, then the Vert or the Coupe is the Vette for you.

Life is full of choices...

Mark

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know, and this is a choice I'm having a hard time making. I currently drive an SVT Lightning, so I'm used to a rougher ride, but I dont want to go any rougher than my pick up truck if I can help it. I just want to know what I'll be missing by going with the Z06. I already understand what I'll be gaining.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Options not available on the Z06 vs Coupe and Convertible are:
Sport adjustable seats, power passenger seat, power telescopic steering wheel, fog lamps, 12 disc CD changer, cargo net, trunk well covers (std Cpe & Conv) tire pressure monitoring system (also std. on Cpe & Conv.) and power antenna (std. conv.) I think that about covers it.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I had a 02 vert. nice car great for taking a cruise with the wife.

The Z is way more car, if you like to "drive" a Corvette. I am more than happy with the ride vs. the regular C5.

I like the extra power :yeadog: :D

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
The regular C5 has a few more color choices like Magnetic Red, Spiral Gray and White etc and Auto Tranny. :cheers:

·
Registered
928 Posts
carzzy said:
Options not available on the Z06 vs Coupe and Convertible are:
Sport adjustable seats, power passenger seat, power telescopic steering wheel, fog lamps, 12 disc CD changer, cargo net, trunk well covers (std Cpe & Conv) tire pressure monitoring system (also std. on Cpe & Conv.) and power antenna (std. conv.) I think that about covers it.
Yup, that's about it.

vettepilot

·
Registered
292 Posts
How about the auto antennae?

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
My wife and I took our to Colorado last year and we loved it. We spent 12 hours in the car each way and didn't have a single complaint. As long as you don't NEED to listen to music or have detailed conversations on the phone, it's a good touring car. I'm always surprised how smooth the car rides. And I was really shocked that the stock seats did not hurt my back on that long trip. I couldn't spend more than 2 hours at a time in my 96 Camaro SS without needing a chiropractor. But liked most other things it is really up to the individual. If you still want 400hp and don't want to give up the quiet caddy-like ride, get a C6. :z:

·
Registered
197 Posts
Another thing the Z don't have is the sound deadner. A little louder than a coupe or vert but nothing some dynamat and or a partition can't fix. :yeadog: The power and handling of the Z is the only way to go, get a Zo6! :D

Doug :coo:

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
It's all about the power and the "noise." Just got rid of
my 02 but I didn't do anything to make it quieter - just loved to hear those pipes as you run it through the gears.

As far as the ride: I didn't find it that much rougher than my 94 Vette and definitely softer than my Chevy truck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hmmm, sounds good. The only option that I'd like to have is the tire pressure sensors. I've been told that the computer has the option in it, but its turned off. Is there a decent way to "make it happen" so I could have this feature?

·
Registered
874 Posts
Coupe/Vert= smooth and sophisticated
Z06 = Raw and aggressive! :cheers:

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
No offense but I dont think you want a Z06. I went back and re-read your post again before I posted a response. Performance cars are just that, and they were designed and built for that purpose. That means that they dont have the cadillac ride, they have road noise, you wont like the radio because you wont be able to hear much, and to give you a better example, they dont have a retractable antenna because it would add weight. Like I said, a Z06 was designed for performance. When you have a car like a Z06, you have to give up some things. It also says what kind of person you are. :D

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
jster171 said:
But is the ride and "amenities" of the Z06 that much worse than the C5?
Yes - thankfuly it is. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I guess I'll just have to find a way to drive both cars and make my decision from there. Knowing me, I'll opt for the Z06, I'm performance minded and after owning a fleet of big bore sportbikes in the past, I'm addicted to speed and handling. I drove the new C6 yesterday, I really liked all the neat features it has on the digital readout just under the speedo and tach, like oil temp,tranny temp, tire PSI, fuel economy etc. It was an automatic and felt a little sluggish compared to my modded Lightning, I think it'd need a little more power for me to be happy and I know I cant afford the new C6 Z06. Like I said, I just need drive a few more cars to make up my mind.

·
Registered
928 Posts
That's probably the best "note to self" one can do, test drive as many of the other brands out there, as well as the three flavors of C5 Corvette. Then,when you have made your decision, you can look back and know it wasn't made in a vacuum, or on other's advice only.

zo6vettepilot

1 - 19 of 19 Posts